Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Silen "Reverse" dictionary, or Suffix dictionary - 06/27/02 06:16 AM
Hello,

Does anyone know of anything like a "reverse dictionary", that is, a backwards dictionary? For the times when you're trying to find out every word that ends in "ation" or "ate", etc, etc. Maybe it should be a suffix dictionary?

Thanks a lot.
/silen

Posted By: FishonaBike Rhyming dictionary? - 06/27/02 08:58 AM
Welcome aBoard Silen!
to find out every word that ends in "ation" or "ate", etc

I thought at first that a "suffix" dictionary would almost certainly not exist. After all, how could it be useful? But then it occurred to me that maybe you're looking to find rhymes.
If so, a quick google found a rhyming dictionary at:
http://www.rhymezone.com/

If it's not rhymes you're after, I'd be fascinated to know of other uses for a "suffix dictionary"!

Fisk

I don't know of a paper dictionary for this; however, you can use merriam-webster on line to achieve that effect by typing in "*lation" (without the quotes) into the dictionary textbox and hitting return.

k

Posted By: Keiva Re: "Reverse" dictionary, or Suffix dictionary - 06/27/02 02:53 PM
My paperback rhyming dictionary, which I've had for years, has in my experience been far better than any rhyming dictionary I've found on-line.

Posted By: wwh Re: "Reverse" dictionary, or Suffix dictionary - 06/27/02 03:14 PM
Keiva: you are most unwelcome to post in AWADtalk.

Posted By: Silen Re: "Reverse" dictionary, or Suffix dictionary - 06/27/02 10:53 PM
Thanks for your help everyone, and thanks for your welcome. It's been excellent to read this message board, not just for the information, but because everyone seems to take care with spelling, grammar, typos, etc!! (Which I expected, of course). Most people on the message boards that I usually go to don't seem to care, using, (I'm sure), the "you know what I mean" defence; something I've always hated! :-)

A rhyming dictionary is obvious, but something I've never actually thought of asking for at a bookstore!! Have to check it out. I would use it for poems, but also in my work as a graphic designer. Having words that rhyme, or that are similar/related, is usually a great way to create a catchy phrase, or illustrate an idea.

Thanks again,
/silen

Posted By: Keiva Re: "Reverse" dictionary, or Suffix dictionary - 06/27/02 11:17 PM
Silen, as an example of what a good rhyming dictionary has, here are some of the "-AY-shun" words you requested, as taken from Whitfield's Untiversity Rhyming Dictionary. Numbers indicate the number of syllables.

The list continues for a bit more than eight columns; the text below is just the first column's worth.

2. nation, ration station 3. cibation, libation, limbation, jobation, probation, placation, vacation, peccation, plication, sulcation, truncation, location, vocation, furcation, piscation, gradation, foundation, laudation, sudation, creation, legation, ligation, rogation, purgation, jugation, striation, alation, halation, ablation, oblation, sublation, elation, delation, gelation, relation, velation, deflation, sufflation, inflation, conflation, dilation, vallation, illation, collation, prolation, cremation, sigmation, himation, gemmation, commation, summation, formation, planation, andation, enation, agnation, signation, cognation, domnation, conation, donation, phonation, pronation, lunation, libration, vibration, hydration, ceration, spheration, mguration, liration, oration, moration, nitration, titration, filtration, curation, duration, neuration, gyration, cessation, causation, pausation, natation, jactation, lactation, tracation, dictation, nictation, citation, saltation, peltation, cantation, plantation, dentation, mentation, tentation, floatation, notation, potation, rotation, quotation, votation, ccaptation, septation, flirtation, hortation, curtation, substation, gestation, testation, crustation, gustation, guttation, lutaation, mmuation, nutation, putation, equation, lavation, ovation, novation, starvation, nervation, servation, curvation, laxation, taxation, vexation, fixation, luxation, fluxation, 4. reprobation, approbation, perturbation, accubation, incubation, titubation, intubation, desiccation, exsiccation, deprecation, imprecation, comprecation, albication, radication, abdication, dedication, medication, predication, indication, vindication, syndication, replication, triplication, implication, complication, application, supplication, duplication, explication, varication, fabrication, imbrication, lubrication, rubrication, lorication, extrication, vesication, mastication, rustication, toxication, allocation, collocation ...

Posted By: wwh Re: "Reverse" dictionary, or Suffix dictionary - 06/28/02 12:08 AM
Keiva:you are unwelcome to post in AWADtalk.Keiva:you are unwelcome to post in AWADtalk.
Keiva:you are unwelcome to post in AWADtalk.Keiva:you are unwelcome to post in AWADtalk.

© Wordsmith.org