Wordsmith.org
Posted By: vika Carpathian mountains - 06/23/02 06:27 PM
Carpathian mountains (Carpaty) mountains in Eastern Europe on the territory of Poland, Ukraine etc.- from a Slavonic word “karpaty” meaning “mountain ridge”. Btw,
The book says that “karpat” means “hill” in Greek and “karp” means rock in Frakish (Frakian?).

Posted By: Geoff Re: Carpathian mountains - 06/23/02 07:32 PM
Greetings, Vika!

It is sad to say that most people in the United States, if they have heard of this region at all, know it only because of its being the land of the fictional Count Dracula in Bram Stoker's novel. Of course, the real, historic Vlad Draku is another story!

Posted By: wwh Re: Carpathian mountains - 06/23/02 07:43 PM
Dear Vika: Thanks for the information about "Carpathian". Our search engine has failed
me, so I can't find the "handle" of the lady who enquired about it only two weeks ago.

Posted By: Chemeng1992 Re: Carpathian mountains - 06/24/02 03:19 PM
Be careful searching for a ladies 'handle'. Especially in public!!

Posted By: wwh Re: Carpathian mountains - 06/24/02 03:38 PM
Dear chemeng1992: You remind me of the guy who led his wife around by a ring in his nose.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Carpathian mountains - 06/24/02 03:45 PM
Welcome, Vika! I think you'll find the linguistic answers you're seeking in our little haven of wit and wisdom! Stick around!

I'm particularly interested in "Carpathian", vika, because I'm of Slovak/Hungarian heritage. But, of course, the land from where my grandparents on my mother's side (Slovak) and my great-grandparents on my father's side (Hungarian) came
was known as Austria-Hungary. But my mother's folks came from a village in the Carpathian foothills and spoke a Russian tinged dialect of Slovak. My Mother speaks that Slovak, but I never strove to learn it, unfortunately, except for Christmas and Easter salutations and a few familiar phrases and exclamations. But part of the reason I never learned it is that she liked to keep it to herself so she could speak with her sister without anyone else knowing what they were saying. And the orthodox church they attended was a Carpathian-Russian Chruch which used the Church Slavonic for their liturgy (much like the Roman Catholic church once used Latin). But, for all that, I really have no insight to offer in regards to karpaty and the Carpathians. I'll see if I can find something out from my Mother's Slavonic dialect about it.

Posted By: Chemeng1992 Re: Carpathian mountains - 06/24/02 06:12 PM
Dear chemeng1992: You remind me of the guy who led his wife around by a ring in his nose.

So the guy was walking backwards, right? Do I remind you of the female part of that memory or the male part? I hope I don't remind you of any male part.......

You've left me beside myself - I don't know what part is left and what is right though. Help!

Posted By: Geoff Post deleted by Geoff - 06/24/02 06:20 PM
Posted By: Chemeng1992 Re: Carpathian mountains - 06/24/02 07:59 PM
Geoff, as an 'old hand', tell us - have you ever handled a lady in public??

Posted By: Geoff Post deleted by Geoff - 06/25/02 01:09 AM
Posted By: Wordwind Re: Carpathian mountains - 06/25/02 08:24 AM
have you ever handled a lady in public??

Only one, Jane Fondle.

And, Geoff, was Ms. Fondle smitten with you?

Posted By: Geoff Post deleted by Geoff - 06/25/02 01:40 PM
Posted By: modestgoddess Re: Carpathian mountains - 06/26/02 12:39 AM
(edit)

She was fonda fondling, but founda friendlier fondler, and forsook me forthwith, forsooth.

(sorry, Geoff - couldn't resist!)

Let us go in peace to love and serve the board.
Posted By: Wordwind Re: Carpathian mountains - 06/26/02 12:54 AM
She was fonda fondling, but founda friendlier fondler, and forsook me forthwith, forsooth, for tsuwm.

The devil made me duw it!

Posted By: Geoff Post deleted by Geoff - 06/26/02 01:11 AM
Posted By: Wordwind Re: Carpathian mountains - 06/26/02 02:11 AM
She was fonda fondling, but founda friendlier fondler, and forsook me forthwith, fornicating fiendlishly forsooth, for tsuwm's tserpsichorian tsantalizing tsertainly tsurpassed my feeble fondling forays in the forests of Carpathia.

...just to tug things back toward the thread starter!

Posted By: Keiva Re: Atlantan mountains - 06/26/02 02:15 AM
have you ever handled a lady in public??
Only one, Jane Fondle.

Please recall than Jane is married to Ted Turner (owner of Turner News Network and of the Atlanta Braves).

So Geoff, I must ask, did you turner on?

Posted By: Geoff Post deleted by Geoff - 06/26/02 03:01 AM
Posted By: Wordwind Re: Carpathian mountains - 06/26/02 11:13 AM
Dear Vika,

Geoff writes: By now poor Vika has probably concluded that we are all mentally disturbed.

It's perhaps questionable whether every person here is mentally disturbed, but we are all dentally matured. In other words, we like chewing topics on threads, and spitting them out in new forms. In fact, a thread, well-chewed and spat out in new forms, is the most successful thread of all.

In the spirit of clarification and mad mastication,
Wordwind

Posted By: Keiva Re: Carpathian mountains - 06/26/02 11:33 AM
dentally matured

I sense a Tom Swiftie coming ... [irresistible urge -e ]

Posted By: vika Re: Carpathian mountains - 06/27/02 07:07 PM
Be careful searching for a ladies 'handle'. Especially in public!!

I like this one - I understood it!
I have not decided that anybody here is mentally retarded; quite opposite, I think that your posts are sparkling with wit and humour. unfortunately, I am lost; never mind, hopefully, I will learn how to fly half as high as you

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Carpathian mountains - 06/27/02 09:08 PM
Vika,

You wrote, never mind, hopefully, I will learn how to fly half as high as you.

Some may fly here, V., but most of us, hey, we're diggin'!

Best regards,
WW

Posted By: Silen Re: Carpathian mountains - 06/28/02 02:17 AM
In the continued spirit of digression... that reminds me of one of my favourite quotes:

"Eagles may soar in the sky, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines."

Posted By: Wordwind You wann digression? Jet engine: - 06/28/02 09:08 AM
I'll give you a digression, since you've just written about getting sucked into a jet engine.

Sometimes we have unforgettable dreams. I call 'em life dreams because there is some extremely important point your psyche is trying to get across to you by banging hard on your brain.

Here's a Life Dream I had that has to do with jet engines. [I know this is chatty, so those who don't like chatter, just ignore this post.]

I dreamt there was a room, and in the room, a turnstile. I had to pass through the turnstile, which a very old, extremely fat old woman was turning for entrants. I don't remember whether I was able to pass through it, but I couldn't take my eyes off the old woman.

That was when she began to slowly melt like a fat candle. All of her melted down, down, down, into a pool of hot wax old woman. And then the old woman wax began to move, inexorably, toward a jet engine that sucked her up.

End of dream.

I have no idea what this dream meant, but I think of it every single time I hear: "jet engine"; "turnstile"; "melting old women."

For what it's worth,
WW

Posted By: FishonaBike Fat old woman - 06/28/02 02:56 PM
there is some extremely important point your psyche is trying to get across to you by banging hard on your brain

I reckon it was the night before you were flying off on holiday and you were feeling guilty at not having got round to cleaning your extremely greasy grill pan.

Oh, and probably your gran hadn't been well in the weeks prior to the dream.

Easy!

© Wordsmith.org