Wordsmith.org
Posted By: dodyskin exam ex am example ample - 06/13/02 05:46 PM
this was in the paper this morning and it stumped me:

'Is "turbulence" the longest word in the English language that contains no smaller word ( in the way that "example" contains "am", "amp" and "ample")?

Posted By: Angel Re: exam ex am example ample - 06/13/02 06:12 PM
How about "en"? I believe it has something to do with typesetting, although I can't find a reference to it right now. But I did find "en" as in "en route". Which although it has French roots, is used in English, but I don't know if it would qualify because I have never heard it used alone. Any other takers on this word?

Posted By: wwh - 06/13/02 06:13 PM
Posted By: Angel Re: exam ex am example ample - 06/13/02 06:15 PM
Great words Dr. Bill, but the end of each word is "is" and "us" respectively.

Edit: Dr. Bill, I love the way your mind works. Here you are, trying to find a longer word than the one in the example, but I am trying to find the shorter words in the long ones!

Posted By: Keiva Re: exam ex am example ample - 06/13/02 06:40 PM
does the game preclude words that include a one-letter word "a" or "I"? And if so, is "o" considered a word?

I assume not, for even on that basis the game is hard enough -- as dr. bill and I are discovering!

Posted By: equalizer Re: exam ex am example ample - 06/13/02 06:44 PM
Even someone as psychotic and braindead as you should be able to come up with a word longer than one letter, Kenny babes. Try doing it without looking in an encyclopedia or a dictionary this time. Or is that the bit you find hard - being original?

Posted By: wow Re: exam ex am example ample - 06/13/02 07:12 PM
An en is the square of of a size of type It is a unit of measure in printing.
a wider letter - like an m or a w - is an em, also a square of type size.
You don't want me to get into "points" and ens and ems, really ...its nothing your gonna use and is used mostly for justifying columns of type and making headlines fit the space available.

Posted By: modestgoddess Re: exam ex am example ample - 06/14/02 03:04 AM
Another interesting word numbers/letters/typing thing (how do I define this?!): apparently "stewardesses" is the longest English word you can type with just one hand (on a qwerty keyboard, that is).

There's another one, alas I have forgotten the word, that is the longest word you can type along one line of letters on a qwerty keyboard. Something mundane like "television" (though clearly not that!). Anyone know?

I posted this because my lame brain can't come up with an answer for the turbulence question...thank God for wow!

Posted By: Keiva Re: exam ex am example ample - 06/14/02 03:27 AM
There you go again, equalizer.

Posted By: wofahulicodoc self-descriptive - 06/14/02 10:14 AM
the longest word you can type along one line of letters on a qwerty keyboard. Something mundane like "television"

Worse than that. "Typewriter."

Posted By: equalizer Re: exam ex am example ample - 06/14/02 01:20 PM
There you go again, equalizer.

Oh, what witty repartee, Kenny babes. You had me reeling there. And was the smiley thrown in to make up for your lack of reply?

You're a blow-hard, Kenny boy. You can only turn it on when you're bullying someone. What a coward. What a loser.

Posted By: wow Re: long words etc - 06/14/02 01:45 PM
http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=wordplay&Number=3338

Scan list down to posts that are headed "longest word" for some wonderful posts!

Posted By: Keiva Re: exam ex am example ample - 06/14/02 02:20 PM
Is "turbulence" the longest word in the English language that contains no smaller word?

Can't come up with a longer one, but truculence (or truculency) would tie it at 10 letters.

Posted By: dodyskin an answer? - 06/20/02 02:37 PM
as well covered in this thread 'turbulence' is a bad example, containing as it does 'ule', 'en' and 'ur'. how about a better word, 'praeccocial'.

© Wordsmith.org