Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh pronunciation - 06/11/02 10:28 PM
In reading history of plumbing in the "Thomas Crapper" site, I encountered the word "conduit", meaning a tube through which something flows, or through which an electric wire passes for protection.
I remember being sharply corrected for pronouncing it "cond'wit". I was told to call it "condit". Just now I looked it up, and my dictionary gives first "condoo'it" and "condit" as second.
I'd be interested to see a tabulation of how other members pronounce it.

Posted By: of troy Re: pronunciation - 06/11/02 10:40 PM
two way!
condoo it-- a kind of pipe, used to hold wiring (also knows as greenbar) and BX (metal sheathed electric cable, required by NYC electical code-- most of the rest of the country uses RomX(rome X) unsheathed cables

CON dwit--Specifically Northern and Southern Conduit Avenues (the road real NY's take to and from JFK, while tourist sit in traffic jams on the van Wyck (called both van Wick, and van Wike) named for the conduit under the road.

Posted By: Angel Re: pronunciation - 06/11/02 11:02 PM
con doo it here, but if you say it fast enough, some would say it sounds more like con dwit

Posted By: Robert Payne Re: pronunciation - 06/12/02 01:12 AM
"Con doo it" for me. I guess I'm a nit dwit but I've never heard of the other pronunciation. (I con doo it though!)

Robert

Posted By: Geoff Re: pronunciation - 06/12/02 01:13 AM
Con-due-it will do it for me. Or is my pronunciation just a pipe dream?

Posted By: modestgoddess Re: pronunciation - 06/12/02 01:20 AM
I sez "con doo-wit" - running the "doo" and the "wit" together as Angel describes - because I likes the best o' both worlds when I can get it!

Posted By: Keiva Re: pronunciation - 06/12/02 01:26 AM
I too currently pronounce it Angel's rapid way.

© Wordsmith.org