Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Co1827 Words describing geog. origins? - 08/13/00 07:23 PM
Someone from Texas is a Texan. Someone from New York is a New Yorker. Someone from from Glasgow is a Glaswegian. Each of these is a one-word designation for a person's geographical origin or current residence. Is there a word-- a noun--that means such one-word designations?

Posted By: Jackie Re: Words describing geog. origins? - 08/14/00 05:01 AM
Welcome, Co1827. I sure hope you feel like explaining your
name! I have this tickling and tugging at the edges of my
memory that makes me think I used to know the significance.

Anyway--I just read this week's theme--p'raps your word will appear courtesy of Anu.

Posted By: william Re: Words describing geog. origins? - 08/14/00 01:27 PM
sorry to pull this off course a little.
why are people from canada canadians?
what's wrong with canadans?

Posted By: johnjohn Re: Words describing geog. origins? - 08/14/00 01:41 PM
<what's wrong with canadans?>

.....that they don't come from Canadia, as would be logical?

Posted By: jmh Re: Words describing geog. origins? - 08/14/00 07:35 PM
If people from Manchester are Mancunians what are people from Winchester called?

Posted By: Jackie Re: Words describing geog. origins? - 08/14/00 07:39 PM
>>what are people from Winchester called?

Winstons ?

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: Words describing geog. origins? - 08/14/00 08:35 PM
I've also wondered why things relating to a governor are called gubernatorial rather than governorial. They're both weird sounding words.

Posted By: Rob Re: Words describing geog. origins? - 08/15/00 03:04 AM
Wykehamists. Something to do with some bloke called Wykeham. Can't remember now, no doubt someone will know.

Posted By: Bingley Re: Words describing geog. origins? - 08/15/00 04:38 AM
I think Wykehamists is the word for people who went to the school rather than people who live there. Similarly I don't think you would refer to someone who lives in Eton as an Etonian.

Bingley
Posted By: Bingley Re: Words describing geog. origins? - 08/15/00 04:57 AM
In reply to:

why things relating to a governor are called gubernatorial

They both come from the Latin gubernare (meaning govern would you believe) but by different routes. For more details see: http://www.word-detective.com/061300.html#gubernatorial

Bingley

Posted By: michaelo Re: Words describing geog. origins? - 08/15/00 05:25 AM
I'm originally from Connecticut. I guess the word authorities really wrestled with that for a century or two. CT is the Constitution State or the Nutmeg state. We are called Nutmeggers and I used to know why just as I used to know the name for the term being sought here.

Most of us just say "I'm from Connecticut."

Posted By: johnjohn Re: Words describing geog. origins? - 08/15/00 07:56 AM
My schoolboy Latin tells me that gubernare was also to steer or navigate as in a ship

Posted By: paulb Re: Words describing geog. origins? - 08/15/00 11:19 AM
Brewer says: Wykehamist. A member of Winchester College, past or present, which was founded in 1378 by William of Wykeham (1324-1404), Bishop of Winchester and Chancellor of England. He also founded New College, Oxford, and was born at Wickham in Hampshire.

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Words describing geog. origins? - 08/15/00 04:00 PM
> Someone from Texas is a Texan.

Interestingly, there was a fierce debate in the middle of the 19th century over whether people from Texas would call themselves Texans or Texians. Apparently Texan won. My historian friend from Texas says that occasionally you will hear the term Texian but most Texans would reject it.

I have heard it said that women from Michigan are Michigeese because men are Michiganders. But I have no idea what the generic word is for these designations, though I assume there is one.

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Words describing geog. origins? - 08/15/00 04:02 PM
>f people from Manchester are Mancunians what are people from Winchester called?

Well, the boys are Colts.

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Words describing geog. origins? - 08/15/00 04:03 PM
>If people from Manchester are Mancunians what are people from Winchester called?

But the most famous guy from Winchester simply called himself "The Virginian"

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Words describing geog. origins? - 08/15/00 05:27 PM
>I have no idea what the generic word is for these designations, though I assume there is one.

okay, I can't keep this to myself any longer. terms such as Nutmeggers and Hoosiers are called "nicknames" and the others such as Mancunians and Texans are called "sobriquets".

Posted By: william Re: Words describing geog. origins? - 08/15/00 06:11 PM
anyone know where "taswegian" for "tasmaninan" comes from?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Words describing geog. origins? - 08/15/00 06:28 PM
* Origin of Taswegian [ZS]

Tasway n, {Colloq.} Tasmania [backformation from TASWEGIAN by analogy
with {Norwegian} adj, from {Norway}
Taswegian n -> Tasmanian [TAS(MANIAN) + {-wegian} (by analogy with
{Norwegian, Glaswegian,} etc.)]

{from soc.culture.australian FAQ}

Posted By: william Re: Words describing geog. origins? - 08/15/00 06:43 PM
just noticed my sp. error,
anyway... never heard of "tasway"! amazing.
does that mean taswegian came before tasway?
never cease to amaze will language!

Posted By: Bingley Re: Words describing geog. origins? - 08/16/00 04:23 AM
In reply to:

terms such as Nutmeggers and Hoosiers are called "nicknames" and the others such as Mancunians and Texans are called "sobriquets".

I think we need something more specific. Since nobody has come up with anything, why don't we coin the expression "adjectival toponyms" for them? I did think of toponymic adjectives but decided that would probably be adjectives used in place names such as High Wycombe and New Zealand .

Bingley

Posted By: paulb Re: Words describing geog. origins? - 08/16/00 12:29 PM
apologies, tsuwm, I read your post in another thread before seeing your post in this thread which answers my question about Taswegians. Life can get complicated sometimes, especially just before midnight!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Words describing geog. origins? - 08/16/00 02:07 PM
>I think we need something more specific.

hey! you didn't quote my wink, indicating that it was "just a joke", from which it could be inferred that I actually don't know this one!

Posted By: william Re: Words describing geog. origins? - 08/16/00 04:28 PM
>>Life can get complicated sometimes, especially just before midnight!

paulb,
it gets better after midnight.

Posted By: paulb Re: Words describing geog. origins? - 08/17/00 10:00 AM
not for me, william -- after midnight my mouse turns into a pumpkin!

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Words describing geog. origins? - 08/17/00 01:06 PM
>after midnight my mouse turns into a pumpkin!

Then there's the modern day Cinderella. At midnight she turns into a motel.

Posted By: paulb Re: Words describing geog. origins? - 08/18/00 12:04 PM
<At midnight she turns into a motel.>

And a whole host of foot-fetishists keep knocking on her door with transparent [or fur, if you pre-fur!] slippers!

Posted By: Jackie Re: Words describing geog. origins? - 08/19/00 12:14 PM
>><At midnight she turns into a motel.>
>>And a whole host of foot-fetishists keep knocking on her door with transparent [or fur, if you pre-fur!] slippers!

Yep--heading straight for the gutter again!

Posted By: Bingley Re: Words describing geog. origins? - 08/21/00 04:20 AM
Well, it's never far from your feet, is it?

Bingley
Posted By: johnjohn Re: Words describing geog. origins? - 08/22/00 11:23 PM
we're all of us lying in the gutter ....but are some of us are looking at the stars

Posted By: Bingley Re: Words describing geog. origins? - 08/23/00 04:38 AM
Given how prone to the gutter this board is, we wouldn't be able to see the stars.

Bingley
Posted By: Jackie Re: Words describing geog. origins? - 08/23/00 10:01 AM
Haven't you two ever heard the expression,
"Her head may be in the stars, but her feet are firmly
planted in the gutter"?

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Words describing geog. origins? - 08/23/00 02:47 PM
>I think Wykehamists is the word for people who went to the school

Quite correct - named after a clerical gentleman of that name. He was, I believe, a headmaster of some repute. (He left before my day)
A resident of the town, rather than the school would be called, I suppose, a Wincastrian. "Caster" and "Chester" are interchangeable, meaning "castle"- usually denotes a town where there was a Roman fort in the good old days of the Empire.
However, people from Newcastle are not New castrians - they are Geordies.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Words describing geog. origins? - 08/23/00 05:32 PM
>>people from Newcastle are not New castrians

Old or New--"castrian" sounds painful.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Words describing geog. origins? - 08/24/00 08:38 AM
> Old or New--"castrian" sounds painful

When I moved from Northampton to Lancaster, I changed from being a "Northamptonian" (there we go again, - why not "Northamptonan"? I guess because it doesn't roll off the tongue so easily.) to become a "Lancastrian." The only pain I remember was that associated with removal from the scenes to which one had become accustomed to those less familiar. Certainly, it has not caused me to sing alto, which, given my voice, is probably just as well ---

© Wordsmith.org