Wordsmith.org
Posted By: pjandq plural of mongoose - 05/26/02 12:28 AM
Is the plural of mongoose, mongeese or mongooses?

foggy gardens
Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 05/26/02 12:39 AM
Posted By: Geoff Re: plural of mongoose - 05/26/02 04:52 AM
Is the past tense mongoosed? Oh. It's a noun. Sorry.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: plural of mongoose - 05/26/02 05:32 AM
The owner of a small zoo lost two prize animals in a fire. To order another pair, he wrote a letter to a zoological supply company: "Dear Sirs: Please send me two mongooses." That didn’t sound quite right, so he began again: "Dear Sirs: Please send me two mongeese." Still not sure of his plurals, he made this third attempt: "Dear Sirs: Please send me a mongoose, and, while you’re at it, please send me another mongoose."

~Richard Lederer, Writer’s Digest, June 1991

Posted By: Angel Re: plural of mongoose - 05/26/02 05:33 AM
Is the past tense mongoosed?

Who are you mongoosing Geoff?

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: plural of mongoose - 05/26/02 10:51 AM
On the slender evidence that the plural of wayzgoose is wayzgooses, I plump for the same construction for Rikki.

Posted By: Geoff Re: plural of mongoose - 05/26/02 01:04 PM
Come closer, and let me tell you.

Mon-goose is one, bi-goose is two, multi-goose is an indefinate number

BTW, didn't we discuss the plural of mongoose about a year and a half ago?

Posted By: wwh Re: plural of mongoose - 05/26/02 01:34 PM
Since "mongoose" is derived from a native word that sounds like it, and has nothing to do with "goose" it is absured to make its plural like plural of the bird.

Posted By: Angel Re: plural of mongoose - 05/26/02 02:32 PM
Come closer, and let me tell you.

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: pjandq Re: plural of mongoose - 05/26/02 03:08 PM
It is fun to read all your posts, thank you. Last night while reading a book from the library I came across the sentence with the word mongeeses. Someone had written on the edge, "mongooses, puhleez."

foggy gardens
Posted By: Wordwind Re: plural of mongoose - 05/26/02 03:25 PM
Plural of mongoose:

mengoose

Posted By: of troy Re: plural of mongoose - 05/26/02 06:40 PM
re:
Plural of mongoose:
mengoose

being a bit of a nit picker here, but if mon is one (as in monaural records-- those with a single sound track..) the plural could be
duegoose (as duet-- 2 singer)
or for a multitude, polygoose!
i would not recomment steroegoose..

stereo is a bit of a trick, it means solid-- going back to the greek root stereos. the earliest english compound word that used stereo was stereometry-- the mathamatical term denoting the measurement of three dimentional objects.

this was followed by stereographic, and stereotype(originally a 'solid' printing block; the metaporical 'unvaried or conventional image' come to be in the middle of the 19th century,) along with stereoscope.. a viewer for reproducing 'solid' or 3-d images.
Stereophonic, likewise produced 3 -d sound!
(most of the info on stereo, above from Ayto's Dictionary of Word Origins

which is why stereo can be 2 or 4 or 8 or some other number of tracks.. but monaural is always 1 sound (track)
so a stereogoose.. would be a solid one.. but i think the plain old mongoose is pretty solid, to begin with..

Posted By: KeivaCarpal Post deleted by Jackie - 05/26/02 08:01 PM
Posted By: Wordwind Re: plural of mongoose - 05/27/02 01:15 AM
Dear of Troy,

I was jesting (what else?) with mengoose. I was thinking in terms of how sometimes you hear people say, "Mon" instead of "Man," pronounced something like "Monn." So, reading mongoose that way (mon for man), well, the rest is pretty obvious.

In the spirit of explaining the ludicrous,
WW

Posted By: of troy Re: plural of mongoose - 05/27/02 11:55 AM
Nonsence, Dub dub, you bring out a great point.. and perhaps i was wrong.. Mon is sometimes a slang way to say man, but it is french for man isn't it? Monsure?

so these ***goose's are they clones? what about the womangooge's?(or should that be womongoose's?) and then womengoose's if you have more than one?

but maybe since Mon sound french-- it should be the madamgoose's! and the young one madamasellegoose's, n'pas?

Posted By: Geoff Re: plural of mongoose - 05/27/02 01:56 PM
Mon is sometimes a slang way to
say man, but it is french for man isn't it? Monsure?

It's "Monsieur," and it literally means, "My lord." So, following this line of logic, 'mongoose" means "my goose." Nah, this is chasing a wild goose, I'm afraid. Now, I'll duck for cover after posting such a canard!

Posted By: of troy Re: plural of mongoose - 05/27/02 02:09 PM
Geoff, you post correcting my spelling of monsieur, in relation to mongooses, (or is it monsieurgooses!) puts me into a fowl mood! you obviously carnary about my feelings!

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: plural of mongoose - 05/27/02 04:52 PM
Surely the plural of "mongoose" is "votregoose"? I mean, really!

Posted By: KeivaCarpal Post deleted by Jackie - 05/27/02 04:56 PM
Posted By: wow Re: plural of mongoose - 05/27/02 05:02 PM
Well, "Really" back atcha' CApK
And while we are at it --- be careful how you scatter votregoose around votreself ... and as for monself, I am always wary when someone offers me a free goose!

Posted By: Wordwind Re: plural of mongoose - 05/27/02 05:04 PM
Well then: the plural of mongoose could be mesgeese.

I have a friend who is reading this thread and is disgruntled that this little nonsensical discussion is taking away from the magnificence of the mongoose itself.

Many apologies from this word-nerd.

Riki-Tiki regards,
WW

Posted By: Geoff Re: plural of mongoose - 05/27/02 10:06 PM
I have a friend who is reading this thread and is disgruntled that this little nonsensical discussion is taking
away from the magnificence of the mongoose itself.

I wonder how the person who originated this thread, pjandq, is holding up after seeing the genie she released from her bottle? Disgusted or delighted, or...?

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Post deleted by Max Quordlepleen - 05/27/02 10:48 PM
Posted By: pjandq Re: plural of mongoose - 05/28/02 02:20 PM
pjandq is laughing. I really like the stereogoose best, I would never have thought of that.

foggy gardens
Posted By: Geoff Re: plural of mongoose - 05/29/02 01:07 AM
pjandq is laughing. I really like the stereogoose best

Good! You'll fit right in with the rest of us in this asylum! But your stereogoose ain't got nuthin' on the doppler duck.

© Wordsmith.org