Wordsmith.org
Posted By: pjandq question - 05/24/02 02:32 PM
where does the saying, "give me the low down", come from?

foggy gardens
Posted By: wwh Re: question - 05/24/02 04:05 PM
Good question. We all know what it means. "Cut out the bullshit, and give me the lowdown." I searched my best sites with no answer as to origin.

Posted By: TEd Remington Low down - 05/24/02 04:31 PM
Nothing is lower down than the bottom line, a phrase I particularly abhor.

Posted By: wwh Re: Low down - 05/24/02 04:45 PM
Dear TEd: I think you just slobbered a bibfull. "Low down" could have the predecessor of "the bottom line" but not talking about profits or tax returns.

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Low down - 05/24/02 08:56 PM
I don't think "the low down" and "the bottom line" are quite synonymous. "The low down" is like inside information, such as Mr. Jones in shipping announced his resignation to the boss today, but I already knew he was quitting because he gave me the low down last week on his new job over at FedEx."

"The bottom line" is like the synopsis of a long-winded tale. Mr Jones' mother lives in Memphis and she's been ill, plus he's been dissatisfied here in Portland, and there was an opening over at FedEx, and well, the bottom line is he's quitting his job and moving to Memphis to work for FedEx."

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Low down - 05/24/02 09:39 PM
I checked it out on Bartleby via Onelook. Here's the entry with lowdown shown as one word--hooray! You can use it in Scrabble!

lowdown

SYLLABICATION: low·down
PRONUNCIATION: ldoun
NOUN: Slang The whole truth: gave us the lowdown on what happened at the party.

Bartleby regards,
Dub

Edit and Addendum. MW has a slightly different take:

Main Entry: low·down
Pronunciation: 'lO-"daun
Function: noun
Date: 1915
: the inside facts : DOPE
Posted By: wow Re: question - 05/24/02 10:06 PM
Could it be related to "sub rosa" (under the rose?) which means secret - and is another phrase that tickles me!

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: question - 05/24/02 10:25 PM
Then, of course, there's "you no good, low down, so-and-so" as in lowlife, which can be a physical condition or a state of degenerate behavior.

And, welcome, pjandq! Hop onboard, and enjoy our journey of words!

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: question - 05/25/02 06:42 PM
There's a somewhat related phrase: "Keep it on the down-low" or shortened: "keep it on the DL." This basically means that you don't want people to know about something; to keep a secret. I not really sure how the two phrases relate though. I think this one is more recent.

Posted By: consuelo Re: question - 05/26/02 03:50 PM
I've never heard that expression before. It makes sense so that means it will probably spread. I only know of "keep it on the QT" which I always assumed stood for keep it quiet.

© Wordsmith.org