Wordsmith.org
Posted By: nancyk Coming to fruitation - 05/24/02 02:14 AM
Wondered what the heck I was talking about, din't you? A co-worker frequently uses the phrase "coming to fruition" - only she says "fruitation." Which drives me crazy. I've tried using it correctly in front of her, but I'm convinced she doesn't even hear the difference. Question: Is it a kindness to take her aside and tell her she's got it wrong? Or is it picking nits and something I should grin and bear?

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 05/24/02 02:19 AM
Posted By: zootsuit Re: Coming to fruitation - 05/24/02 07:10 AM
I'm with Max.

It must be done!

(I really should enrol in Nit-Picker's Anonymous, I know. Just can't fight it. It's like my aversion to apostophe misuse - don't get me started on THAT one! )

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Coming to fruitation - 05/24/02 09:00 AM
I disagree to some degree about correcting the speech of co-workers. It really depends upon your relationship with the co-worker. If the person has a testy temperament, I wouldn't say a word. There are a lot of other considerations, too. Speech is personal. Imagine correcting Mrs. Malaprop.

I once worked under an assistant principal who had a great sense of humor and naturally commanded loyalty from us. Many people misprounced her last name. One time I asked her about that fact. She expressed that her name had been misprounced so many times that she let it go because it didn't bother her. She was easy going of nature and hard to take offense in general. I thought that there was some wisdom in her letting the correct pronunciation of her name be one of the things she chose not to deal with, and, instead, focus on the more pressing things at hand. My name is often mispronounced, as a matter of fact (you'd be amazed at the many variations I hear of "Dub-Dub")--but I leave the matter alone because of her example.

I worked under a principal once who said "pacific" for "specific." He was a darling man, and anytime he talked to the faculty and said pacific, we'd just grin. I don't think anyone ever corrected him--we enjoyed grinning too much in those meetings, which are generally a bore.

However, if you have a good relationship with this co-worker--a friendly one and she's the kind of person who doesn't take offense easily--a word in the right direction as a matter of interest might be ok to mention. If she were a word hound as we are here, then she'd definitely appreciate the correction as we do here.

End of my little opinionated point of view,
Dub-Dub (and that's the correct spelling and the correct pronunciation is Dub-Dub)

Posted By: wwh Re: Coming to fruitation - 05/24/02 12:50 PM
A great deal of tact should be employed in correcting a co-worker, lest one acquire an enemy needlessly.
I takes a fine nature in both parties to have such a correction made and accepted cheerfully.

Posted By: Hyla Re: Coming to fruitation - 05/24/02 02:31 PM
I really should enrol in Nit-Picker's Anonymous, I know. Just can't fight it. It's like my aversion to apostophe misuse - don't get me started on THAT one!

I could not agree more, it is criminal the way people misuse apostoves.

Note: I would normally refrain from picking nits off someone I don't know, but the context made it irresistible. Also, as a compatriot of the esteemed Mr. Stales, I've no doubt you can take it. And since I haven't said it before - Welcome zootsuit!

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Apostrophes, Apostophes, Apostoves - 05/24/02 02:36 PM
What kind of stove is an apostove?

I could not agree more, it is criminal the way people misuse apostoves.

Posted By: Hyla Re: Coming to fruitation - 05/24/02 02:38 PM
Oh, and on the actual question that started the thread:

I am an inveterate picker of nits of all sorts, and this would drive me absolutely nuts. But I have to agree with bill - if you can handle it in an exceptionally diplomatic way, and if the recipient of the correction is a stalwart soul in a tireless quest for self-improvement, then you might not sour your relationship with the person - but it'll still probably backfire.

I had a brilliant professor once, extremely articulate and in solid command of his language skills, whose great fault was that he said "anthropocentric-centered" - and he found more occasions to use it than you might think. I wrestled with how to correct him for a long time, talking about it with classmates, and in the end decided he would probably be okay getting through life with that one truly annoying tic of speech.

Posted By: boronia Re: Coming to fruitation - 05/24/02 02:56 PM
I could not agree more, it is criminal the way...
... I thought for sure the nit you were going to pick was about Nit-Picker's Anonymous

Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Coming to fruitation - 05/24/02 02:58 PM

Unless the person has to speak publicly on behalf of the company and would thereby cause embarassment to all, I think you should let it drop. Lots of people say lots of incorrect things that annoy me - nuc-KYU-ler, e.g., but I try to ignore it. Also, I know some people get irritated with my speech patterns - I often pronounce things incorrectly "Lou-uh-vll" "y'all" "fer." Somethings I will pronounce correctly if I think about it a second. If I catch myself, I'll say oil and not ole. One of my Indian buddies expressed intense annoyance at my pronunciation of Van-tast-ic. (I didn't mind him ragging me in this way and I think that while it irritated him, he also found a lot of amusement in correcting my English.)

I have this friend once, a Mensan, who no matter what another person is saying he feels he has to correct it. He was at work once and the foreman was giving them speech about the "place-cards." He was saying "place-cards this" and "place-cards" that. My friend interrupts him to say (and he can be *intensely* unpleasant while convinced that he is being very nice) "the word is PLACK-ARD." His boss was not happy.

I'm sure you would treat your coworker with much more sympathy, but I still think that unless you're very close to the person or it is a matter of professional image, that you should just let it drop. Many, *MANY* times I hear people say things and the image of Slip Mahoney comes to mind. I can't help but smile - but I never speak.

k

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Coming to fruitation - 05/24/02 02:59 PM
I thought for sure the nit you were going to pick was about Nit-Picker's Anonymous

Good catch, boronia!

all in good fun, zootsuit!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Lou-uh-vil - 05/24/02 03:01 PM
Ah, c'mon, FF, surely that's the right way to pronounce it!

Oh, to answer the question: It would depend on my relationship with the person. Faldage's boss says "between you and I" and will never go there!
Posted By: Faldage Re: Nit-Picker's Anonymous - 05/24/02 03:15 PM
And I thought it was an example of, whaddya callit, a conscious example of the thing one is excoriating for humorous effect.

Posted By: Hyla Re: Nit-Picker's Anonymous - 05/24/02 03:44 PM
Yeah, after the various nits were picked, I too began to wonder if she was just wicked clevah, as we folks from Boston say. But we don't know the word for what you're talking about.

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Coming to fruitation - 05/24/02 04:30 PM
I got to thinking about your question. I would question the use of "coming to fruition" almost as much as I would "coming to fruitation" (which is of course clearly wrong).

Why wouldn't you say, "That project is almost done" rather than "That project is coming to fruition"?

And as to correcting her, no, not unless she was doing damage to the reputation of the company. I'd love to know how she writes it down, though.

Posted By: JosieWales Re: Coming to fruitation - 05/24/02 04:33 PM
Loudly call your co-worker an idiot the next time he does it.

errr... One of my co-workers once asked me if plants were alive and then was dumbfounded by my answer.

Posted By: nancyk Re: Coming to fruitation - 05/24/02 04:56 PM
Why wouldn't you say, "That project is almost done"

In that instance I would probably say "I've (or we've)almost finished the project." Most of the time the phrase is used to question "whether it will ever come to fruition." That usage seems a bit more comfortable to me, but I may be seeing a distinction where there is none.

Thank you, everyone, for your input. Considering personal sensitivities and the fact that the statements are not public, I guess I'll just pet this peeve and keep it around for awhile.

Posted By: SilkMuse Post deleted by SilkMuse - 05/24/02 05:12 PM
Posted By: Hyla Stay outta my YART - 05/24/02 05:24 PM
is that "Hee-lah" or "High-lah"

'Tis the latter. If it were "Hee-lah" I would spell it "Gila."

I'm named after a pet that my son has: http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/amphibians/canyontreefrog.htm

Note, this page describes this particular hyla as "plump and toad-like in appearance" with a voice that is a "loud, single pitched, rivet gun sounding "brrurt- brrurt- brrurt" that at close range sounds as if emanating from a tin can." Suits me to a tee.

I can vouch for that voice - the ones at our house really make a racket at times. And, amazingly, they call in response to the crying of my 11-month old son. They must know a tadpole when they hear one.

Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Coming to fruitation - 05/24/02 05:27 PM

Ah, but the project may not be close to done. Perhaps it's an ongoing project and the preliminary phases are nearing completion, after which the project is expected to be ekspecially fructuous.

k

Posted By: Angel Re: Stay outta my YART - 05/24/02 07:03 PM
I'm named after a pet that my son has

WHY???

Note, this page describes this particular hyla as "plump and toad-like in appearance" with a voice that is a "loud, single pitched, rivet gun sounding "brrurt- brrurt- brrurt" that at close range sounds as if emanating from a tin can." Suits me to a tee.

Oh My Gawd! What a handsome creature you must be! I'm sure I'll be able to spot you at Wordapalooza!, you'll be the one in the pond...errrr, pool!

Posted By: KeivaCarpal Post deleted by Jackie - 05/24/02 08:06 PM
Posted By: Angel Re: Stay outta my YART - 05/24/02 10:39 PM
Not to disagree, but I believe that in the fairy tales it is a princess, not an angel, who kisses the frog.

Now...wait just a minute here! I said I could find him...never said a word about kissin' him!

© Wordsmith.org