Wordsmith.org
Posted By: AphonicRants Ozzie Slang - 05/22/02 11:23 PM
WARNING: SOMEWHAT "BLUE".

I found on the web this list of Ozzie slang terms. Would anyone more knowledgeable than I care to comment its accuracy?

arvo: afternoon
bikkie: biscuit
blower: telephone
blue: a fight or argument
bonzer: great
boobley: a big fight/argument
bugger-all: very little
go to buggery: go to hell!
carked it: died (e.g. the car carked it half way to the beach)
chockie: chocolate
chook: chicken
crack: a mental express extreme anger or rage
daks, underdaks: pants, underpants
deadshit: a person of low intelligence (an insult)
divvy van: police van, paddy wagon
drongo: a really dumb dude
up the duff: pregnant
dunny: toilet
fag: cigarette
fair dinkum, dinkum, dinky-dye: honest, truthful, honourable
fart-arse: screw off, waste time
crack a fat: get a boner
footy: a football, or a game of football
franger: condom
goes like a shower of shit: really fast or impressive
hooroo: goodbye, see you later
no wucker’s: a polite shortened form of the spoonerism ‘no wucking furries’
norks: breasts
piss: alcoholic beverage
pissed: drunk
root: synonymous with the word f*ck
sook: a ‘cry-baby’
wanker: one who masturbates... A good all purpose insult.
wowser: prude
yobbo: a rude or ingnorant person

Posted By: duncan large Re: Ozzie Slang - 05/23/02 12:26 AM
I can vouch for most of them, because a lot of them are the same or similar to the UK but theres plenty Aussies round here could tell you more

PS I have to claim "Wanker" for Britain , er no ....let me rephrase that........

the Duncster
Posted By: doc_comfort Re: Ozzie Slang - 05/23/02 01:23 AM
Looks pretty good to me. I imagine a number of them are shared with the poms. "Up the duff" is more British that Aussie. Other slight alterations include:
boobley - never heard of this one
crack: (v) to suddenly express extreme anger or rage; to have a "break-down"
drongo: a really dumb guy, often used affectionately in response to a stupid action or remark
fart-arse: (always ~ around) screw off, waste time
yobbo: a rude or ignorant person; a loud supporter

Posted By: zootsuit Re: Ozzie Slang - 05/23/02 06:26 AM
Yep Aphonic - these are all the real McCoy, though like doc I have never heard of a boobley - that's a weird one!
As for the insult "deadshit", that's very widely used but so are the two alternatives "dickhead" (which can then be gussied up as "richard cranium")and - I'm not sure if I should use asterisks but I'll err on the side of propriety -"f**kwit" .
Only other comment Aphonic is that we prefer "aussie" to "ozzie" - the latter is best saved for Mr Osbourne!

Posted By: alexis Re: Ozzie Slang - 05/23/02 07:47 AM
Like the others - never heard of boobley! Maybe being a girl is the reason, but I've not heard 'norks' very much either; bonzer is a bit stereotypical - few people really use it - but they/you haven't included that ultimate stereotypical phrase, which people actually do use, that wonderful "G'day mate!"

alexis

Posted By: stales Re: Ozzie Slang - 05/23/02 01:02 PM
Further to what zootsuit said....

Like z/s and doc_c, I've never heard of boobley. I suggest it is not widely used and, at a guess, is from Melbourne or Tassie. It seems temptingly close to a cross between "blue" (fight/argument) or "wobbly" (display of anger or frustration).

The others seem to have heard of "divvy van" (divisional van - ie bull wagon - ie paddy wagon) but I haven't. It sounds like it's an old term and, again, Victorian. Various police departments were (are?) known as Divisions.

Note to zootsuit: There's previously been encouragement to US'ns to refer to us as "Ozzies" at this Board. Without guidance, they persist in pronouncing "Aussies" as "Ossssssies" which, as you no doubt would be aware, we HATE!

stales

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Ozzie Slang - 05/23/02 06:36 PM
There's previously been encouragement to US'ns to refer to us as "Ozzies" at this Board. Without guidance, they persist in pronouncing "Aussies" as "Ossssssies" which, as you no doubt would be aware, we HATE!

What the blue blazes makes you think you get a choice, eh? You're only Awstrarlyans when all's said and done!

Posted By: Faldage Re: Ozzie Slang - 05/23/02 06:53 PM
persist in pronouncing "Aussies" as "Ossssssies"

If you don't want USns to pronounce it that way why do you spell it with a double s?

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Ozzie Slang - 05/23/02 07:23 PM
In the spirit of promoting cross-cultural friendship, I ask, is it ok to call you 'Ozzies' 'Australians'? Or is that an insult?

Thanks for the edification,
WW

Posted By: SilkMuse Post deleted by SilkMuse - 05/23/02 07:40 PM
Posted By: Hyla Re: Ozzie Slang - 05/23/02 07:49 PM
"Pizza" or "peet-sah"?

I would not presume to speak for the noble Faldaje, but:

What's the diff between these two, to your silk-purse-ear?

Posted By: Faldage Re: "Pizza" or "peet-sah" - 05/23/02 08:03 PM
The latter is merely a phonetic transcription of the former, but then it's a word that is pronounced as one would an Italian word with that spelling.

Posted By: Hyla Re: "Pizza" or "peet-sah" - 05/23/02 08:27 PM
The latter is merely a phonetic transcription of the former

Which is what I thought - hence my confusion at the "or" offered by our Silken Moose.

but then it's a word that is pronounced as one would an Italian word with that spelling.

This, I don't get. It is an Italian word with that spelling, and we pronounce it as such. I do believe I have missed your point.

Now I can't even remember where this all started...Oh yeah - the whole Aussie thing. I'm with you, Faldage, the double S suggests to my US'n ear that they should be sounded just like in "class," ('cuz Ozzies've got so much of that).

Posted By: Faldage Re: Pizza - 05/23/02 08:31 PM
I like the Afrikaans Pietsa, but I *really like the Russian where the p i ts ts a looks a lot like the word p i shch a, the word for food

Posted By: Faldage Re: "Pizza" or "peet-sah" - 05/23/02 08:34 PM
as one would an Italian word

It's intentionally ambiguous; it covers both possibilities, protecting me against the potential accusation that pizza is only the American name for the food and not Italian at all. You can read my line with the emphasis on Italian or on would.

Posted By: Hyla Re: "Pizza" or "peet-sah" - 05/23/02 08:41 PM
potential accusation that pizza is only the American name for the food and not Italian at all

Faldage, mate, I think you been thinkin' too much.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: "Pizza" or "peet-sah" - 05/23/02 09:42 PM
ENOUGH with the talk of pizza already. Here I am just taking a couple of minutes to peek in before deciding what to make for supper and all I see is pizza this and pizza that... grrrrr.

Dag nabbit, just had to order some...y'all are responsible for my extra three pounds I'll be toting around my waist tomorrow.

Posted By: Hyla Re: "Pizza" or "peet-sah" - 05/23/02 10:24 PM
But belM, it was a word thread, not a food thread.

What kind did you order? Can I have a bit of that really cheesy piece?

Posted By: belMarduk Re: "Pizza" or "peet-sah" - 05/23/02 10:27 PM
Yaaaaa - pizza's here, pizza's here. Bye folks. Mmmmmmmmmmm pizza's here. but of course Hyla, pull up a chair, I have a piece just for you

Posted By: AphonicRants Re: "Pizza" or "peet-sah" - 05/23/02 11:08 PM
Dag nabbit! Just got home from work; haven't eaten dinner, and THIS is the first thing I read????
[mouth watering -e]

Posted By: Angel Re: "Pizza" or "peet-sah" - 05/24/02 02:24 AM
Dag nabbit! Just got home from work; haven't eaten dinner, and THIS is the first thing I read????
[mouth watering -e]

And what, pray tell, was on the one you ordered for dinner? [snickering-e]

Posted By: SilkMuse Post deleted by SilkMuse - 05/24/02 02:57 AM
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: "Pizza" or "peet-sah" - 05/24/02 03:14 AM
Has anyone ever eaten a piece of pizza in Pisa?

Posted By: doc_comfort Re: Sicilian, extra olives - 05/24/02 04:42 AM
I wonder if there are other words containing a double s which are pronounced "zz"??

See http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=miscellany&Number=55512

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Ozzie Slang - 05/24/02 09:05 AM
Will somebody please answer my question from the first page:

Is it all right to call Ozzies "Australians"?

Still wondering,
WW

Edit Addendum: And I think bikkie, chockie, footy, and dunny are twee.
Posted By: Hyla Re: "Pizza" or "peet-sah" - 05/24/02 02:46 PM
Has anyone ever eaten a piece of pizza in Pisa?

Lots of Pisanos and their paisanos have, I'm sure.

Akshully, I think I have. I ate something in Pisa while hitchhiking through, but I canna recall what.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Sicilian, extra olives - 05/24/02 04:48 PM
other words containing a double s which are pronounced "zz"?

This one hit me upside the head this morning. Possessive. It's got both.

Posted By: Hyla Re: Sicilian, extra olives - 05/24/02 04:55 PM
This one hit me upside the head this morning. Possessive.

Don't think of her as possessive, Faldage. She's just very, very fond of you, even if she occasionally wacks you in the head.

Posted By: Bean Re: Sicilian, extra olives - 05/24/02 04:56 PM
Possessive. It's got both.

As does its younger brother, possess. What an awful word (to spell, that is!)

Posted By: of troy Re: "Pizza" or "peet-sah" - 05/24/02 05:28 PM
re:Has anyone ever eaten a piece of pizza in Pisa?
well american/itlalian pizza is really naples style pizza, but in the rest of italy you can get a pizza rustica, i am told, (but it is a special dish for Easter. It is deep dish pie filled with wheat, (whole grain wheat, cooked till its a porriage)vegetable and other savory ingredients.

i am not sure were pizza really come from.. i have heard it come from the italian for a piece of pie -- as an idiom, since pizza really means point..refering to the wedge shape..

Posted By: Bean Re: "Pizza" or "peet-sah" - 05/24/02 05:33 PM
Food thread alert:

In Sardinia, you can buy pizzette (little pizzas, literally, but practically, two rectangular pieces put cheese side together, with waxed paper wrapped around the bottom for a handl) on the street. Yum yum. I don't know if it's a national thing.

My experience with pizza in Italy has been that the art is in putting just enough stuff on to taste good, not 12 million toppings as they do in North America. So people who love "loaded" pizzas are disappointed by Italian pizzas. And people who love delicate, thin crust pizzas which don't suffer structural problems because of the toppings just love 'em!

Posted By: boronia Re: "Pizza" or "peet-sah" - 05/24/02 05:36 PM
and in Toronto, the Michel's Baguette chain sells pizzelles!

Posted By: Faldage Re: Pizza's provenance - 05/24/02 06:29 PM
My Whack-a-Doodle Idea (WDI) is that pizza comes from pita, the original pizzas being middle Eastern pita spiced up by Roman soldiers. No tomato sauce, of course.

Posted By: consuelo Roman pizza - 05/25/02 12:46 AM
Juan,and Faldage, I never ate pizza in Pisa, but I had some Roman Pizza in Rome. It was a nice crust with a dredging of tomato sauce and more garlic on one slice than I had eaten up to that point in my life. Once my mouth got over the shock, I loved it. Kept strangers and other pests a half a block from me for days, too. Would have gone well with a nice Chianti, but alas, I was only fourteen.

Posted By: stales Re: Ozzie Slang - 05/25/02 02:30 AM
> Is it all right to call Ozzies "Australians"?

Finally, ww, an answer.

Yep.

One thing but, the average Auszie has trouble saying it. Tends to come out as "o-stray-yun" (short o as in clock). We have a similar problem with "millionaire"......comes out as "m-oo-yon-air".

> I think bikkie, chockie, footy, and dunny are twee"

You're missing the point behind the whole essence of the Auszie dialect. If a word is short, we lengthen it. If it's long, we shorten it. Both rules obey a higher rule - wherever possible, we put a vowel at the end of a word. This is especially prominent with names..

Martin becomes "Marto" if it's a surname, "Marty" if it's a first name.

Gilchrist becomes "Gilly".

My son Tim is "Timmy", "Timmo" or "Timbo".

My other son, Adam, is Ad or Addie.

It may sound twee, but I assure you that's not the intent. Strine is a very lazy dialect - we take whatever shortcuts are available and tend to ignore punctuation, hence jamming our words together. By adding a trailing vowel it becomes easier to run words together. Furthermore, it means that ones lips, tongue and palate don't have to work too hard during the speech process.

Years ago a popular brand of insect repellant exploited this by developing a "pseudo-word" that's still in use today. The tag to their advert was, "Remember the Aerogard - and avagoodwegend". As a further example whilst on an insect theme, we also say "mozzie" (mossie?) for mosquito and "blowie" for blow-fly (or blow fish - ie puffer fish - the scourge of the Swan River!).

stales

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Ozzie Slang - 05/25/02 10:33 AM
Dear Stales,

Thanks very much for the lesson in Australian dialect-making! My ear has been consequently improved and I've seen the light. Don't feel comfortable enough (yet) to take at stab at it, but at least I'll receive it in the spirit intended.

Best regards,
WW

Posted By: wow Re: Easy pita Pizza - 05/25/02 04:09 PM
My Whack-a-Doodle Idea (WDI) is that pizza comes from pita,

I agree. Take half a piece pita place in hot frying pan. heat on both sides till crispy. Load up with sliced fresh tomato, shredded cheese ... whatever... lower heat, when cheese melts EAT!

It works on a grill outdoors and also using a broiler or toaster oven. Versatile!
yoummy.

© Wordsmith.org