Wordsmith.org
Posted By: jnvmiles affect/effect - 08/07/00 01:44 PM
Can anyone explain what the difference between the verbs affect and effect is? When does something affect something else, and when does it effect it?

Posted By: william Re: affect/effect - 08/07/00 01:56 PM
affect means to change something.
effect means to bring something about.
because they often sound the same they are confused.

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: affect/effect - 08/07/00 02:57 PM
For starters, with only one exception of interest to psychiatrists and psychologists, affect is always a verb.

As a verb, affect is most commonly used in the sense of "to influence". Smoking affects the health. Effect as a verb means to bring about. The personnel cuts were designed to effect an increase in the bottom line.

As a noun effect is a result. The rules had an immediate effect. He screamed for effect.

Posted By: Jackie Re: affect/effect - 08/07/00 03:42 PM
Welcome, Jeremy.
I can't add anything to these definitions, but I must say that the use of effect as a verb bothers me. (Speaking of being a stick-in-the-mud!) To borrow a theme from other threads, why bring this word into use as a verb where perfectly good ones already exist, when the majority of the time it is and has been used as a noun? Doesn't bother me nearly as much as hearing "Antartica", but I still don't like it! To each our own quirks, I guess.

Oops! I take back my opening phrase. Psychologically, the noun 'affect' (stress the first syllable) means emotional demeanor.

Good to have you aBoard.

Posted By: Bingley Re: affect/effect - 08/08/00 04:14 AM
I think it's more a matter of "effect" as a verb having almost died out (except among lawyers of course) and now making a bit of a comeback rather than of it being something of a neologism. Does anybody with access to a decent dictionary have dates?

Bingley
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: affect/effect - 08/08/00 01:32 PM
>Does anybody with access to a decent dictionary have dates?

Sorry, I'm happily married.

Posted By: Jackie Re: affect/effect - 08/08/00 04:40 PM
>>>Does anybody with access to a decent dictionary have dates?

Sorry, I'm happily married.<<

Ohmigawd! Ted, you get at least one kudos for that one!!
(Besides, I saw him first !)

Posted By: michaelo Re: affect/effect - 08/09/00 04:08 AM
Good one, TEd. But, Jackie... C'mon! Just ONE kudos???

Posted By: Jackie Re: affect/effect - 08/09/00 03:12 PM
Actually, Dear, you deserve several! My imp(oster)ish side wanted to use the phrase one kudos, because it sounds so
strange.

© Wordsmith.org