Wordsmith.org
Posted By: johnjohn doozie - 05/02/02 09:36 AM
where does this word come from? I don't remember coming across it growing up in UK, and the only use I 've seen of it in Aus is I think in an USn context. What does it mean literally?
jj

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 05/02/02 09:46 AM
Posted By: consuelo Re: doozie - 05/02/02 10:01 AM
http://www.duesenbergmotors.com/

Now, THAT'S a doozie.

Posted By: johnjohn Re: doozie - 05/02/02 10:12 AM
Hmmmmm. that guy Bob sounds like he's on drugs - weird drugs at that - his explanation does seem a bit...er...unbelievable? So the modern day equivalent expression would be "that's a real humvie"??

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: doozie - 05/02/02 10:49 AM
In reply to:

The New Dictionary of American Slang says the Duesenberg was considered such a desirable product that it gave rise to the noun “doozie,” which means a person or thing that is remarkable, wonderful and superior.

From http://detnews.com/autosweekly/0008/02/lead/lead.htm

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 05/02/02 11:00 AM
Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 05/02/02 11:05 AM
Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: doozie - 05/02/02 12:13 PM
Now, THAT'S a doozie.

Consuelo, it took four minutes to download - and every minute worth the waiting. What a beauty! It certainly makes the expression under consideration accolades of the highest order!

EDIT:
It also has just occurred to me that in 1950s/60s Nigeria, (well, in Lagos, anyway) the local population used the word "Jaguar" (pronounced 'Jag-wah') in exactly the same way - to express extreme merit. This was, most definitely, a reference to the Jaguar motor car, ownership of which was looked on as the highest pinnacle of ambition.
Posted By: of troy Re: doozie - 05/02/02 12:40 PM
well, Johnjohn, re: So the modern day equivalent expression would be "that's a real humvie"?, we still use an the word edsel to describe something that is a total flop.. i don't think i could identify an edsel if you showed me a line up of 1957-58 cars.. but i know is some thing is an edsel, its a flop!

car terms are a real part of US slang, aussie slang too, and lots of countries as well!

© Wordsmith.org