Wordsmith.org
Posted By: rt999 Stolle - meaning/pronounciation - 05/01/02 07:06 PM
What is the meaning of the word "stolle". I think it is of German origin, but could not find any info on it. Also, how is it pronounced??
Any ideas

Posted By: boronia Re: Stolle - meaning/pronounciation - 05/01/02 07:18 PM
Stollen (shtollen) is a yeasty German cake sold at Christmastime.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Stolle - meaning/pronounciation - 05/01/02 07:39 PM
Stollen (shtollen) is a yeasty German cake sold at Christmastime.

That's the English word for it. Auf deutsch, Stolle.

Posted By: wwh Re: Stolle - meaning/pronounciation - 05/01/02 08:49 PM
Here's a Stollen recipe with pictures

http://www.pride-net.com/1997/october/food/stollen.htm

Posted By: doc_comfort Re: Stolle - meaning/pronounciation - 05/01/02 11:00 PM
Aussie-speak for Stolychnaya - a cheap nasty vodka which is often a girls first experience with alcohol. Now renowned for pre-mixed drinks.

I'm lead to believe that the original Stolychnaya is an excellent drop.

Posted By: hev Re: Stolle - meaning/pronounciation - 05/02/02 02:27 AM
WELCOME rt999, glad to have you aBoard.

I don't have any answer for you, though, unfortunately. Doc_C ... don't you know, Stollies are *so last year!

Posted By: Bridget Re: Stolle - meaning/pronounciation - 05/02/02 09:51 PM
Aussie-speak for Stolychnaya

thought it was Aussie speak for a tennis player???

Posted By: Faldage Re: Stolle - meaning/pronounciation - 05/03/02 12:41 PM

It ain't just Ozzie. USns been calling it that for a long time now. Only USns spells it Stoli.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Stolle - meaning/pronounciation - 05/03/02 02:38 PM

It ain't just Ozzie. USns been calling it that for a long time now. Only USns spells it Stoli.

Granted, I'm not a typical USn, have lost the eighties and parts of the decades on either side to the Third World. Having said that, I attribute my knowledge of the term to the BBC, via Edina and Patsy, sweetie darlin. (and it's not a low-end vodka this side of the pond).

Posted By: maverick Re: Stolle - meaning/pronounciation - 05/04/02 04:21 AM
via Edina and Patsy, sweetie darlin

dahling, are you sure you're not thinking of Bollie, sweetie? I mean, the fridge is practically stuffed with it, so long as Patsy hasn't found the key again...

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 05/04/02 04:45 AM
Posted By: Geoff Re: Stolle - meaning/pronounciation - 05/04/02 12:38 PM
Heck, even _I_ know that the two dahlings were big fans of both Bolly and Stoli.

Bolly? That's an Australian company that makes model airplane bits and pieces. They do not make baked goods, although I did once accidentally try to eat one of their airscrews. And, yes, "airscrew" DOES mean getting lucky while flying here in the USA.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Stoli Schmolli - 05/04/02 08:56 PM
Heck, even _I_ know that the two dahlings were big fans of both Bolly and Stoli.

Thanks for the save, Max.

Posted By: wow Re: Bolly & Stoli - 05/05/02 02:44 PM
For those who never heard of "Absolutely Fabulous" : It was a television show about two women Edina ( short, brunette, always buying latest designer clothes but inclined to think she was a smaller size than she actually is) and Patsy (tall, rail thin, blonde beehive hairdo, lots of makeup) and the excesses of their 80s lifestyle.
One line I remember was when eveyone was talking about going out for lunch and they were discussing when each had last eaten. When Patsy was asked there was a bemused second as she thought, then replied: "1967."

The Stoli is indeed Russian vodka and the Bolly is Bollinger Chanpagne, one of the very few independent houses still producing champagne.
http://www.champagne-bollinger.fr/

also :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/abfab/ for a look at the show and "Pats" and "Eddie"

Posted By: maverick Re: Stoli Schmolli - 05/06/02 12:12 AM
Heck, even _I_ know...

hey, less of the humility, dahling - who is it around here who doesn't have a TV?!

ashcoolly®, I tell a lie - there is a TV card in my toaster-compliant behemoth on which I now scribble, but with stone walls 3 feet thick, the signal's crap and full of hideous interference. I even picked up some dog's dinner of a football match this weekend...

Posted By: Jackie Re: Bolly & Stoli - 05/06/02 01:04 AM
Thanks, wow--I, like DubDub, don't watch television (except for Star Trek reruns--hi, b), so I had no clue what any of this was about.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 05/06/02 01:23 AM
Posted By: maverick Re: Stoli Schmolli - 05/06/02 02:09 AM
Wasn't it, butt!

Arsenil Too

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 05/06/02 02:22 AM