Wordsmith.org
Posted By: nancyk where are the editors? - 04/30/02 10:53 PM
Was reading an article about autism (in Time), when this sentence grabbed me: But then autism research took a badly wrong turn.

"Badly wrong?" Is it just me or is this particular usage exceedingly strange? - not to mention flat-out (even badly?) wrong. Can something also be goodly wrong?

I bow to superior word wizards : What say you-all? What's really scary is that the more I read it the less wrong it seems.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 04/30/02 11:42 PM
Posted By: nancyk Re: where are the editors? - 04/30/02 11:58 PM
descriptive hyperbole

Could be, Max; thank you. Just didn't seem to fit the tenor of the article. But that was one of the reasons I raised the question here - could be the phrase is used acceptably all the time but I've lived too sheltered a life to have come across it until now .

Posted By: wwh Re: where are the editors? - 05/01/02 01:05 AM
Are not some "bad turns" badder (sic) than others?

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: where are the editors? - 05/01/02 01:34 AM
Something "going badly wrong" is somehow more acceptable to me than "a badly wrong turn." In the latter case, it seems that "badly-wrong" should be hyphenated. Better yet it should be obliterated. It is certainly stylistically awful and reads like a translation from another language (perhaps Japanese or some other non-European language) as carried out by a computer.

Posted By: hev Re: where are the editors? - 05/01/02 02:02 AM
descriptive hyperbole

Could be, Max; thank you

I agree with Max about the "degrees of" wrong thing. I didn't really like the "took a badly wrong turn" either, nancyk. Then I considered "took a horribly wrong turn" which sounded ok at first, but it still seems a little off kilter. If I was editing this document, I would have changed it to something like "took a turn which went horribly wrong" (definitely couldn't use "badly wrong" in that context).

Taking my corporate comms hat off, and going back to Operations now!

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 05/01/02 02:16 AM
Posted By: belMarduk Re: where are the editors? - 05/01/02 02:16 AM
>But then autism research took a badly wrong turn.

I agree, it looks awful. But I think it is wrong for another reason altogether. I'll try to explain it but I am seriously bad with the proper grammatical terms so be forgiving please. Here goes.

Isn't "wrong turn" one concept, one, ugh I don't know if noun-phrase is the right term but that's what I'll call it. It is the same type of thing as an "upper hand" or "upper body" - these are “one” thing.

In the sentence they are qualifying only the word "wrong" thus disregarding the actual noun-phrase.

It still wouldn’t be pretty but saying the research took a bad wrong turn seems better to me.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: where are the editors? - 05/01/02 02:43 AM
I think badly wrong sounds terribly wrong...but, then, I use terribly wrong all the time but would never consider using badly wrong even though, I suppose, both are grammatically okay. So is this just a case of sound semantics? Or is it just that there's nothing absolutely wrong about it?

The Only WO'N!
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: where are the editors? - 05/02/02 04:17 PM
I hope there's an editor on the unemployment line. Taking a badly wrong turn is akin to being very pregnant. Wrong is wrong, there's no comparative.

I understand what the writer is trying to say, but this is just plain bad writing.

Posted By: SilkMuse Post deleted by SilkMuse - 05/02/02 04:35 PM
Posted By: Faldage Re: where are the editors? - 05/02/02 05:01 PM
I don't see any grammatical problems*, we have an adverb, badly, modifying an adjective, wrong, which is one of the jobs of an adverb. The meaning is clear enough and I agree with SilkMuse that there are degrees of wrongness. It's awkward is all.

*The purple idea waited seven times consecutively before the clock happened. Nothing grammatically wrong with this sentence; it just doesn't mean anything.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: where are the editors? - 05/02/02 05:31 PM
The purple idea waited seven times consecutively before the clock happened. Nothing grammatically wrong with this sentence; it just doesn't mean anything.

Makes perfect sense to Frank Zappa! "Cruisin' to Montana on my dental floss..."

The Only WO'N!
Posted By: SilkMuse Post deleted by SilkMuse - 05/02/02 06:34 PM
Posted By: of troy Re: where are the editors? - 05/02/02 07:14 PM
as i read it, i thought-- Ah ha, another person who doesn't quite know how to use insert.. (a tech discussion we had here last month..)

so they orgingally had "badly wrong"
and editor read it, and said.. "Poor usage-- use "wrong turn" (or the opposite, they had wrong turn, and it was suggest "badly wrong" would be a better choice...)

the added one word, and forgot to delete the other, and ended up with a badly wrong turn.

and no one double checked the copy!

Posted By: Bridget Re: where are the editors? - 05/02/02 10:31 PM
Wrong is wrong, there's no comparative.

If things can go badly wrong (and trust me, they can and do!), I see no logical or grammatical reason why they can't take a badly wrong turn.

All the same, I didn't like the phrase when I first read it. Now I seem to have become inured to it and it is starting to sound perfectly normal.

..which probably only indicates that I am easily corruptible, which in turn may indicate why things seem to go badly wrong ...

Posted By: nancyk Re: where are the editors? - 05/02/02 10:45 PM
it is starting to sound perfectly normal

Frightening, isn't it? No question that some things are wronger than others. Very wrong, horribly wrong, terribly wrong - none of these sets my teeth on edge as does badly wrong. I agree that the original would have been less offensive without the noun "turn." Even then, I would never have thought of saying Things went badly wrong. So much for my thinking outside the box linguistically.

Posted By: wsieber Re: where are the editors? - 05/03/02 06:51 AM
Hi Helen,
another person who doesn't quite know how to use insert..
My thoughts followed a similar path. It could well be that the author originally put "..a horribly wrong turn", and the editor found this too strong - and amended it without considering the result in context. For me, "a badly wrong turn" sounds awkward because the word "badly" contributes nothing here. It is too weak to reinforce the message. It is akin to a pleonasm, if you come to think of it.

Posted By: milum Re: where are the editors? - 05/07/02 01:00 AM
But then autism research took a badly wrong turn. - TIME MAGAZINE

I have just read this thread and I agree with everyone. Why then, Milum, one might rightfully ask, did you resurrect this sleeping thread when you have nothing new to say?

Well, if you must ask, I want to say the same things that you all said but I want to say them in my way, and my way is in italics. Like the Italians always say - a thought in italics slips into the mind like rosa, rosa, Thunderbird wine.
So here goes...

The term "Badly wrong turn" is semantically displeasing because it disrupts the smooth transfer of information from writer to reader and causes people like nancyk and me to do a double take. An adverb modifying an adjective that qualifies a noun in sequential alignment is abnormal syntax when the adjective root of the adverb (in this case "bad") is widely used in an almost cliched conjunction with both the adjective and the noun, i.e. bad wrong and bad turn.
So...
the editor at Time who let this insignificant little phrase slip by was, for that moment, merely a poor practitioner of the ever-changing editorial arts.

What?...So - I told you I didn't have anything new to say.
That does it! I'm outta here! I'm going back over to Wordplay and Fun where I'm better known and admired.
Geez! Please forgive me for breathing. Geez!
-

Posted By: Geoff Misplaced mortifier - 05/07/02 01:08 AM
In the book, Boners, there is this malaprop: "Momma spanked Johnny because he was wicked in the seat of his pants." That, at least, was from a school kid, not someone getting paid to wrong - er, write.

Posted By: inselpeter Re: where are the editors? - 05/07/02 03:42 AM
To go badly wrong is to go less badly wrong than plain wrong. In an extreme case, to go badly wrong may even be to go right.

Posted By: milum Re: where are the editors? - 05/07/02 04:20 AM
To go badly wrong is to go less badly wrong than plain wrong. In an extreme case, to go badly wrong may even be to go right. - inselpeter.

Yeah, goodbuddy inselpeter, that's what I was gonna say, but in the case before the board, it would take an even-more-so badly wrong turn, in order to make the turn-in-question become right. Follow? -mw

Posted By: Jackie Re: where are the editors? - 05/07/02 11:07 AM
Wrong turn(ed) = grown.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: where are the editors? - 05/07/02 07:06 PM
Get on board, little children;
Get on board, little children;
Get on board, little children.
Der's room for many a more!"

...just another way of saying, here comes my two cents:

1. Terribly wrong -- terribly is used as an intensifier that our ears immediately accept because we're accustomed to hearing people refer to situations, people, things, and so on, as being "terribly this" and "terribly that":

terribly good sense of humor

The same goes for awfully:

awfully good movie!

However, badly, an often used adverb, is not used as an intensifier to the degree that terribly and awfully are.

2. Yes! In a strictly grammatical sense -- or in an awfully strict grammatical sense, badly can function as an adverb modifying the adjective wrong.

Problem is: The concept of wrongness subsumes badness. We think of something wrong as being something that needs to be made right or as something that should have been done right. So, by saying something is badly wrong rings terribly redundantly to my sensibility.

To say something is terribly wrong doesn't sound redundant because terribly sounds like a common, traditional intensifier. But to say something is badly wrong sounds awkward because bad and wrong are closely associated in fundamental meanings.

3. After having written about badly wrong for five minutes now, my ear has become accustomed to badly wrong turn, and I will become terribly happy to use the phrase every chance I get from this point onward. And, if, instead, my language takes a badly wrong turn in doing so, I would be awfully happy if one of you would turn me around and set me back on the straight and narrow.

Taking an awfully, terribly, badly wrong turn,
WrongWind

"badly wrong turn" wouldn't have made it past The New Yorker editors, I don't believe.

Posted By: of troy Re: where are the editors? - 05/07/02 07:11 PM
Re: badly wrong turn" wouldn't have made it past The New Yorker editors, I don'

unfortunately, nowdays, it might.

Posted By: boronia Re: where are the editors? - 05/07/02 07:25 PM
"badly wrong turn" wouldn't have made it past The New Yorker editors, I don't believe.

Huh? You don't believe it wouldn't, or you do believe it wouldn't? I'm terribly confused now.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: where are the editors? - 05/07/02 09:00 PM
Boronia, I wrote and you wrote:

Huh? You don't believe it wouldn't, or you do believe it wouldn't? I'm terribly confused

Classically, terribly good example of a badly awful double negative executed in my sentence, huh?

Let me speak plainly here: I believe The New Yorker editors would not permit the phrase badly wrong turn .

Babbling regards,
Wordspin

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: where are the editors? - 05/07/02 09:12 PM

I believe that's what Faldage would call an emphatic double negative. Like "Not with my wife, you don't." I think it's perfectably acceptable in USn's colloquial speech, but praps not among our neighbors to the north.

Posted By: of troy Re: where are the editors? - 05/07/02 09:39 PM
and sadly, i think our word wind is whistling the wrong tune if she thinks the New Yorker is as carefully edited today as it was in the past..

long gone are the days of using other publications poor choices in editing as little bon mots. nowdays, even i can find a mistake (ok once in 5 years.. but still!)

Posted By: Faldage Re: where are the editors? - 05/08/02 10:04 AM
what Faldage would call an emphatic double negative.

Unfortunately. it's a logical double negative and they get incomprehensible real fast. Emphatic multiple negatives are easy to understand, as in my classic: I don't like to have to kill nobody without they ain't no chance of no gold in it for me.

Posted By: Faldage Re: emphatic double negative - 05/08/02 02:05 PM
On second thought, I do bleeve it *is an emphatic double negative. The emphatic multiple negative is usually marked by some other nonstandard grammatic device. That is not the case in this example, which is what threw me off. that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it, until something better comes along, anyway

Posted By: Anonymous Re: The New Yorker - 05/08/02 04:22 PM
speaking of the New Yorker ~

what's up with replacing a dash with the two little dots over the second "e" in words like de-emphasize, re-education, etc? i really like it ~ it is the hip thing to do now? the hyphens seem so stilted.

oh, and what are those little dots called? i know i should know =(

and is this a YART?

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: The New Yorker - 05/08/02 04:26 PM
It's called a dieresis and it comes from French. I don't think it's particularly new; more of a stylistic choice.The German version is umlaut but it has a different fuction. I'm sure Faldage will be glad to go to great lengths to explain to you, cara

Posted By: Hyla Re: The New Yorker - 05/08/02 04:27 PM
Them little dots are called a diaeresis - and they annoy me no end, as I first noticed them under the editorship of Tina Brown, who also filled the magazine with ads, which did not go away when Ms. Brown did.

So, the diaereses are guilty by association.

edit: Damn, AnnaS beat me by 43 seconds - but I think I spelled it righter 'n she did.

double edit: And my Webster's says it comes from the Greek, via that ol' Latin (it means "to divide" because it's dividing the pronunciation into two syllables), but I'm sure Faldaje will show up soon to tell us all a thing or two about it
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The New Yorker - 05/08/02 04:31 PM
i've only been reading the magazine for about a year ~ but the ads aren't NEARLY as overwhelming as in, say, PC magazine.

why on earth would they bug you? the hyphen always causes a nanosecond of mental pause in me, but enough to stunt the flow of the sentence. surely you wouldn't prefer na-ive?

Anna ~ would you please direct your SO to this thread? umlaut was the word i was [incorrectly, obviously] looking for... so i'd like to be both disabused and edumacated.

Posted By: Faldage Re: di(a,)eresis v. umlaut - 05/08/02 04:46 PM
Regarding dieresis vs. diaeresis, either is correct but the former is considered a variant.

The symbol itself is used, in the examples, to indicate that the vowel is pronounced as a separate syllable, as in naïve or Brontë. The term umlaut refers to the linguistic process wherein a back vowel, such as a, o or u is dragged kicking and screaming to the front of the mouth in anticipation of a front vowel lurking there in the next syllable. In German this process is indicated by placing a dieresis over the back vowel.

Aintcha glad ya ast?

Posted By: Faldage Re: The New Yorker - 05/08/02 04:49 PM
the hyphen always causes a nanosecond of mental pause in me,

OTOH, coworker allus looks to me like someone who orks cows. Gimme co-worker any day.

Posted By: Hyla Re: The New Yorker - 05/08/02 04:54 PM
Okay, co-worker is one that should get diaeresitized. I just get annoyed with adding them dots to words like "cooperate," which gets along just fine without them.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: The New Yorker - 05/08/02 05:25 PM
In reply to:

diaeresitized

which brings us to another rhetorical cheval de bataille (pmf): epenthesis

he complains about the addition of a couple of harmless l'il dots, yet he adds entire syllables with reckless abandon

Posted By: Faldage Re: The New Yorker - 05/08/02 05:38 PM
[white]he adds entire syllables with reckless abandon[/white]

Hey! You saying diaeresitized has more syllables than added a diaeresis to?

Posted By: Anonymous Re: The New Yorker - 05/08/02 05:45 PM
you know precisely what i'm saying ~ unless you're suggesticing that his metamorphisizing of diaeresis into an adjecative was other than epentheticasis

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Raven maniac - 05/08/02 05:46 PM
another rhetorical cheval de bataille: epenthesis

"Respite, respite and epenthesis," said Poe (almost)
(I forget what else he said)

Posted By: Faldage Re: The New Yorker - 05/08/02 05:56 PM
suggesticing that his metamorphisizing

Oh! Duh! He should of said diaeresized!

Posted By: Anonymous Re: The New Yorker - 05/08/02 05:58 PM
[smug vindication]

Posted By: Faldage Re: The New Yorker - 05/08/02 06:01 PM
[smug vindication]

But then it would sound like he was saying it was about yea by yea, you know, the size of a diary.

Posted By: Hyla Re: The New Yorker - 05/08/02 07:07 PM
Hi guys!

What's goin' on? Who we talkin' about, eh?

Guess it should have been diåërèsîtïzed (and pronounced "macelleria").

Posted By: Hyla Re: The New Yorker - 05/09/02 02:46 PM
It's called a dieresis and it comes from French. said AnnaS.

And my Webster's says it comes from the Greek, via that ol' Latin said the pickeur du les nits, overly quickly.

Thinking about this, I miscorrected. While the word diaeresis comes from the Greek, its usage pretty clearly comes from the French, at least in a lot of the diaeresistically-endowed words we've got in English. So correcting AnnaS here was akin to saying the Eiffel Tower ain't French because the word "tower" comes originally from the Latin turris (obviously why so many of 'em go to Eiffel), from the Greek tyrsis.

So, we was both right!