Wordsmith.org
Posted By: ewein Post deleted by ewein - 04/20/02 07:58 PM
Posted By: GallantTed Re: Board Revolutions - 04/20/02 11:15 PM
Howya ewein

Grate idea ya have. Of course, as a Member, mabee the whole thing is beneath me. But as I was a meer journeyman meself not so long ago I taught I'd do the dacent thing and give ya a helpen paw ta launch yer revolution.

I hope yer idea catches on and ya get loads of posts from them revolten newbies.

Be seein ya

GallantTed

PS I'm still waiten on me Member's Badge. Could ya check this out fer me please?

Posted By: ewein Post deleted by ewein - 04/21/02 12:39 AM
Posted By: ewein Post deleted by ewein - 04/21/02 08:32 PM
Posted By: GallantTed Re: Board Revolutions - 04/21/02 08:53 PM
Howya ewein

It's only me again! Anyways, I do sometimes be callen Goldilocks "Ya bottle blonde bimbo b, ya" Of course, due ta certain legalities, I'm not allowed ta call her that any more - so it's a looky thing that this ia a quiet thread.

Be seein ya

GallantTed

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: Board Revolutions - 04/22/02 01:04 AM
Just a little piece of advice, ewein. Have patience. You are addressing a limited part of the AWAD community and started on a weekend when many people have other things to do than read and post on the computer.

Posted By: dxb Re: Board Revolutions - 04/22/02 12:52 PM
How about three for the price of one?
The first is unforgivable, and for use in meetings - I think its wonderful, but have never disliked someone enough to use it:

"I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public."

The second is good for parties, when alcohol and a laugh will soften it:

"The fact that no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

The third is a put-down for use by women who are being pestered:

"How many times do I have to flush before you go away?"

But my favourite put-down came from a friend of mine to a smoker on a sardine-can crowded commuter train many years ago:
Friend: "Please would you mind not smoking right under my nose."
Smoker: "This is a smoking compartment, mate."
Friend: "That's a privilege, not a right."
Smoker extinguishes cigarette sheepishly. You had to be there.

dxb.

Posted By: johnjohn Re: Board Revolutions - 04/22/02 02:21 PM
Just a little piece of advice, ewein. Have patience. You are addressing a limited part of the AWAD community and started on a weekend when many people have other things to do than read and post on the computer.>>>>

...plus the fact that all the old Pooh-bahs and Carpal Tunnels are shakin' their heads and tuttin' and cussin' and gnashin' their teeth 'cos you posted a Miscellaneous post in the Q+A about words board......heh heh heh

Posted By: wwh Re: Board Revolutions - 04/22/02 03:23 PM
This old curmudgeon butts in to say that he thinks choice of forum is a minor consideration. The only thing that is important is that posts be primarily about words and language, and potentially interesting to many partcipants. In case of doubt, put it in Miscellany.

Posted By: ewein Post deleted by ewein - 04/22/02 08:04 PM
Posted By: Rapunzel Re: Board Revolutions - 04/23/02 12:38 PM
"The light is on, but no one is home!"

In a similar vein, I've heard "The engine is running, but there's no one behind the wheel."

Posted By: ewein Post deleted by ewein - 04/23/02 01:31 PM
Posted By: slithy toves Re: Board Revolutions - 04/23/02 01:44 PM
During my daily routines, now, I often think, "ahh, that would be a good board word"

Within my limited experience, that's exactily how it happens. Post on...

Posted By: ewein Post deleted by ewein - 04/24/02 08:55 PM
Posted By: Geoff Re: Board Revolutions - 04/25/02 01:01 AM
I don't know if I'm allowed here, since I'm an old "newbie," having quit and rejoined, but here goes anyway!

Lady Astor to Dorothy Parker, as they entered a room: "Age before beauty." Dorothy Parker to Lady Astor: "And pearls before swine."

Said of a pretty but vacuous woman: Great cage. Too bad the canary's dead.

How many times do I have to flush before you go away?

Was she referring to her skin tone changing?

Posted By: dxb Re: Board Revolutions - 04/25/02 04:14 PM
dear ewein,
I wholly agree with you on orientate - an ugly word. Another similar word that I encounter is preventative. I am happy with taking a preventative, but not when the word is used in the sense of taking preventative action, when preventive would do equally as well. These are nearly as bad as that awful redundancy "at this point in time". My feelings there are so strong, I actually hammered the keys in typing it!

dxb.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Irregardless - 04/25/02 04:21 PM
Irregardless of whether or not you do or don't like the use of irregardless or not, when I use it I use it for humorous effect. There are some who think I've driven the joke into the ground. I say, let it take root and flourish! Not to mention the vigor of the emphatic multiple negative against the flaccidity of the logical multiple negative.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 04/25/02 08:17 PM
Posted By: ewein Post deleted by ewein - 04/25/02 08:46 PM
Posted By: maverick Re: Board Revolutions - 04/25/02 09:34 PM
that awful redundancy

lemme see if I got the idea: would do equally as well can be trimmed to equally well?

ewein, there's a possible answer to your question if you look up <Stales Index> - but don't expect us to all agree unanimously on this particular orientation...

Posted By: musick Re: Board Revolutions - 04/25/02 10:10 PM
That's a stupid question!

With all these YARTless posts, I just ... couldn't... resist....ahhhh!

Posted By: dxb Re: Board Revolutions - 04/26/02 06:21 AM
lemme see if I got the idea: would do equally as well can be trimmed to equally well?

You do have the idea. (got?)

dxb

Posted By: Bridget Insults - 04/27/02 11:32 AM
ewein,

whatever else, congrats for trying! (I'm another renovated oldie, back after over six months off, so I'm crashing your party...)

First, a list of (alleged) performance evaluations which will fit in well with the insult theme (my personal favourites are 6,7,13,19,24 and 31);

1. “Since my last report, this employee has reached rock bottom and has started to dig.”
2. “I would not allow this employee to breed.”
3. “This employee is really not so much of a has-been, but more of a definite won’t be.”
4. “Works well when under constant supervision and cornered like a rat in a trap.”
5. “When she opens her mouth, it seems that it is only to change feet.”
6. “He would be out of his depth in a parking lot puddle.”
7. “This young lady has delusions of adequacy.”
8. “He sets low personal standards and then consistently fails to achieve them.”
9. “This employee is depriving a village somewhere of an idiot.”
10. “This employee should go far, and the sooner he starts, the better.”
11. “Got a full 6-pack, but lacks the plastic thing to hold it all together.”
12. “A gross ignoramus - 144 times worse than an ordinary ignoramus.”
13. He doesn’t have ulcers, but he’s a carrier.”
14. “I would like to go hunting with him sometime.”
15. “He’s been working with glue too much.”
16. “He would argue with a signpost.”
17. “He brings a lot of joy whenever he leaves the room.”
18. “When his IQ reaches 50, he should sell.”
19. “If you see two people talking and one looks bored, he’s the other one.”
20. “A photographic memory but with the lens cover glued on.”
21. “A prime candidate for natural de-selection.”
22. “Donated his brain to science before he was done using it.”
23. “Gates are down, the lights are flashing but the train isn’t coming.”
24. He’s got two brains, one is lost and the other is out looking for it.”
25. “If he were any more stupid, he’d have to be watered twice a week.”
26. “If you give him a penny for his thoughts, you’d get change.”
27. “If you stand close enough to him, you can hear the ocean.”
28. “It’s hard to believe he beat out 1,000,000 other sperm.”
29. “One neuron short of a synapse.”
30. “Some drink from the fountain of knowledge; he only gargled.”
31. “Takes him two hours to watch 60 minutes.”
32. “The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead.”

Second, one of the few responses that actually managed to shut me up. Can't remember who said it, but all my firends agree it's apt.

Me: 'if you want my opinion...'
Interrupting friend: 'Yeah, why not, you have so many you won't miss one.'

Finally, a comment about what counts as a 'successful' post. Don't get too hung up on the numbers. It's quality not quantity. Just one really apt reply which makes you laugh, makes you think or answers your question so clearly that no-one else needs to add to it is a success.

Posted By: ewein Post deleted by ewein - 04/27/02 08:44 PM
Posted By: wwh Re: Insults - 04/27/02 09:19 PM
Dear bridget and ewein: Since the board is very slow, perhaps you will allow me to intrude. The list of insulting evaluations is really a list of stupid mid-managers. The next higher authority reading them is not interested in amusing insults. but looking for specifics to support a parsonnel action. The person writing such an evaluation may be cutting his own throat.

Posted By: Bridget Re: Insults - 04/28/02 10:37 AM
The list of insulting evaluations is really a list of stupid mid-managers... ...may be cutting his own throat.

wwh, I couldn't agree more, hence the 'alleged' in my initial post.

I was putting it forward more for content than provenance.

Posted By: ladymoon Re: Insults - 04/28/02 03:56 PM
I don't usually collect insults but the list reminded me of something my father said once, he referred to an ex-student of his as the finest argument for retro-active birthcontrol he'd ever met. We were in a restaurant at the time and the waitress was just coming to the table, she had to turn around she started laughing so hard. I think I remember it more for her reaction than anything else.

I'm partial to not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Posted By: wow Re: euphemistic Insults - 04/28/02 04:33 PM
Just a quick post because all of you are having so much fun it's hard to resist joining in!

Instead of straight out insults there is the euphemistic insult ... calls for a bit of thought but it's fun.

My all time favorite for an employee reference letter :

"He will be hard to replace."
Ouch!

As to how many posts to success .... just posting makes a success. It takes courage!
Oh, if you go to your profile and click on preferences you can put in the number of posts-per-page that you want. Makes browsing a bit easier. I've found 50 per page is easy to manage.
Enjoy yourself and go with blessings from this old time poster!

© Wordsmith.org