2. Which of these is NOT a Janus word?
i) sanction
ii) cleave
iii) gaffe
iv) seeded

[personal note : what on earth is Janus?]

Posted By: tsuwm Re: A few more questions - 04/18/02 04:28 PM
>ii) cleave

oh boy.. better keep me away from the quiz-master if this *ain't considered a correct answer.

(Janus word = auto-antonym, antagonym, contronym; cf. enantiodromic word)
Posted By: musick Re: A few more questions - 04/18/02 04:33 PM
It seems obvious that 'skinhead' is not a hair style since there is no hair *involved.

Skinhead has also become, for the less informed, a representation of specific political affiliation, which is just as foolish as equating dreadlocks with Rastafarians.

Posted By: JessCC Re: A few more questions - 04/18/02 04:34 PM
>(Janus word = auto-antonym, antagonym, contronym; cf. enantiodromic word)

Uh.....*scratches head* Do you have a simpler explanation than all that jargon above? hahaha.....

Uh..... nevermind, I found it.

Janus word - definition :
(noun) A word having opposite or contradictory meanings, as sanction or cleave.
Posted By: slithy toves Re: A few more questions - 04/18/02 04:39 PM
A Janus word is one that has opposite or nearly opposite meanings.Cleave, for example, means to come close (cleave to one's bosom) or split apart, as in meat cleaver.

Posted By: Faldage Re: A few more questions - 04/18/02 04:42 PM
NOT a hairstyle?

I'd have to go with i) skinhead cause, technically, it doesn't actual involve hair.

NOT a Janus word?

All I know is that ii) cleave is not one word. We've got two completely different words that just happen to be spelled the same in Modern English. They come from different IE roots and were spelled differently as recently as a thousand years ago.

Janus was a two faced Roman god. God of doorways.

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/j/janus.html

Posted By: slithy toves Re: A few more questions - 04/18/02 04:42 PM
Oooooooh! Look who just got a hundred!

Posted By: Bean Re: A few more questions - 04/18/02 04:43 PM
A word having opposite or contradictory meanings, as sanction or cleave.

Or seeded, which means either with seeds or having had them removed. So I guess your answer is gaffe.

Posted By: Bean Re: A few more questions - 04/18/02 04:46 PM
cleave is not one word.

Maybe it seems that way to the person who wrote the quiz. Or maybe they are trying to fool Jess into picking "gaffe", when they feel the answer is "cleave" (for the pedantic reason that Faldage stated above). What else can gaffe mean besides "socially awkward or tactless act" (courtesy of Webster)?

Posted By: JessCC Re: A few more questions - 04/18/02 04:46 PM
Yes, I get what you mean, now! Seeded could mean to plant or to take out of (fruits). So I guess it IS gaffe!

Posted By: JessCC Re: A few more questions - 04/18/02 04:49 PM
Skinhead :
Slang 1. A person with a shaven head.

Even though is states "shaven head", but isn't that a hairstyle in some way? I know bunches and dreadlocks are.

Posted By: Faldage Re: A few more questions - 04/18/02 05:08 PM
"shaven head"...a hairstyle in some way?

It's a hairstyle only in the negative sense, but a hair weave uses someone else's hair so who's to know which? And besides which, it's more a technique to make it look like you've got more hair than you really do and can be incorporated into any number of hair styles.

Gaffe is only one word but still has only one definition (at least according to M-W on line) so it's parbly the answer. Cleave and cleave notwithstanding.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: A few more questions - 04/18/02 05:48 PM
I agree about gaffe, but like I said: keep me away from the quiz-master.

(hell, I argued via e-mail with Richard Lederer about this! :)
Posted By: Faldage Re: A few more questions - 04/18/02 06:06 PM
argued via e-mail with Richard Lederer

For all the good it did us. It's like that old one about the word that changes pronunciation when you capitalize it. When I try to bring up the one about the word that changes spelling when you capitalize it everybody ignores me.

Posted By: Keiva Re: A few more questions - 04/18/02 06:21 PM
[begging to hear it -e] Purty please with sugar on top, faldage?

Posted By: Anonymous Re: A few more questions - 04/18/02 06:36 PM
faldage baits:
the one about the word that changes spelling when you capitalize it

please, share it ~ i'm curious!

~~~

i'm not sure about "hair weave" ~ it might also mean what's been described above (having someone else's hair added to your own), but around here we call that "extensions", and a "weave" is when they wrap pieces of your hair in foil and bleach them, for a 'textured' look.

and speaking of hair, where on earth has rapunzel gone?? i miss her.
Posted By: Faldage Re: A few more questions - 04/18/02 06:51 PM
faldage baits:

You know the one that changes pronunciation is Polish and polish. Of course they are no more the same word than are cleave and cleave or Russian and rushin'.

Posted By: slithy toves Re: A few more questions - 04/18/02 06:52 PM
Time to polish up our Polish?

[Damn...beat by a minute.]
Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: A few more questions - 04/18/02 08:13 PM
Say that in Reverse Polish Notation. Just a suggestion ...

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: A few more questions - 04/18/02 10:48 PM
Polish

And if you've had 'one too many' it could also mean the cops...or would that be Poleesh?

The Only WO'N!
Posted By: JessCC Re: A few more questions - 04/20/02 03:44 PM
So basically, gaffe is the answer for the second question but no certainty as to whether it is "skinhead" or "hair weave"? Sigh.....

Posted By: Wordwind Re: A few more questions - 04/20/02 04:43 PM
What kind of style is bunches?

Dreadlocks = a style
Skinhead = a person with a distinctive feature of having a head that looks hairless or skinned, but not the style itself
Hairweave = a broad category that would subsume many styles
Bunches = never heard of

I'd eliminate both hairweave and skinhead right off the bat and say that it had been a trick question!

Braided regards,
WordWarhorse, m. m.

PS: When are we ever gonna find out about jobsworth and all that jazz?

Posted By: ladymoon Re: A few more questions - 04/20/02 05:42 PM
I'm with wordwind, I know what dreadlocks are, hair weave, skinhead, but don't know about bunches. If someone can explain bunches I'd go with skinhead because it's a lack of hair style, otherwise I'm voting for bunches.

Posted By: JessCC Re: A few more questions - 04/20/02 05:49 PM
Well, according to the "Times-Chambers Combined Dictionary Thesaurus", bunches are "long hair divided into two pieces and tied separately at each side or the back of the head". Which is why I'm confused that some people say hair weave IS a type of hairstyle and so is skinhead, for some reasons! So which is it?

By the way, about the "jobsworth" thingy, I'll get it by Friday, 26th April.

Posted By: ladymoon Re: A few more questions - 04/20/02 06:06 PM
Hairweave is something you do to your hair, so I'd call it a hairstyle. Skinhead is more a description of the person than the hair style, I'd call a person a skinhead, the style is a shaved head. If I were describing the hairstyle I might be going to get I could say I'm going to get a hairweave, then dreadlocks, put them in bunches and when I'm tired of it shave my head and be a skinhead.

Posted By: JessCC Re: A few more questions - 04/23/02 12:47 AM
So it's skinhead, then? Thanks!

You guys are great!

Posted By: hev Re: A few more questions - 04/23/02 01:26 AM
You guys are great!

Well, I'd like to take credit but I haven't been around to help this time, but you're great for coming up with all these great wordy (wordie? worthy?) challenges for us all! Glad you're here JessCC.

Posted By: JessCC Re: A few more questions - 04/23/02 05:02 PM
but you're great for coming up with all these great wordy (wordie? worthy?) challenges for us all! Glad you're here JessCC

hahaha..... I try to, but I'm puzzled myself, at times so I guess it's a challenge for everyone, including myself!

© Wordsmith.org