Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Leviathan Origins of the "F" word - 04/10/02 06:59 AM
OK, maybe this is not the regular pretty word, but I've always been curious about the exact origin of the word "FUCK".

I've heard two different stories about the word: One says that in Medieval times, you couldn't have sex without the consent of the king, and when the king granted you permission, you recieved a safe-conduct that said "F.U.C.K" (Fornicating Under Consent of the King).

The other story says that (also in the good old times) when you had illegal sexual intercourse, you where punished with jail and a note posted in the door of your house that said "F.U.C.K" (Found guilty of Unlawful Carnal Knowledge).

Anybody knows the answer? or am I totally out of line?

"If, perhaps, everything is but a dream, Who's the one sleeping?"
Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 04/10/02 09:11 AM
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Origins of the "F" word - 04/10/02 02:01 PM
good grief!

http://www.snopes2.com/language/acronyms/fuck.htm

(everything you always wanted to know...)
Posted By: wwh Re: Origins of the "F" word - 04/10/02 03:13 PM
I am in favor of reviving old threads to which valuable information can be added, but I doubt that this thread is such a one.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Origins of the "F" word - 04/10/02 03:16 PM
eff

Could we now say that eff has become a word unto itself as a more acceptable substitute for the cruder form? As in "eff it!", that's no effing good, or effed up? Would you spell it with one f or two?...for some reason, I'm inclined to go with two fs. Or would you simply use the letter as a word: F or f; F-ing or f-ing; and F-ed or f-ed?

And what the eff am I talkin' about?

Your Happy Epeolatrist!
Posted By: modestgoddess Re: Origins of the "F" word - 04/10/02 03:30 PM
(everything you always wanted to know...)

Not quite, dammit! because having read the snopes page, now I want to know the etymology of both "tips" and "posh" - anyone know? (or tsuwm, could you tell me where/how you found the f-word story on snopes?)

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Origins of the "F" word - 04/10/02 03:40 PM
>tsuwm, could you tell me where/how you found the f-word story on snopes?

yes, I knew it was covered by alt.usage.english, but that link timed out on me so I googled for a mirror of it and snopes was an obvious choice from the first page of results. this is a wonderful exercise for the student who is not yet familiar with using google.com.

as for posh, YCLIU.

(you could look it up)
Posted By: modestgoddess Re: Origins of the "F" word - 04/10/02 05:29 PM
YCLIU

tanks, I will

Posted By: Leviathan Re: Origins of the "F" word - 04/10/02 07:04 PM
Thanx tsuwm, it was most informative

"If, perhaps, everything is but a dream, Who's the one sleeping?"
© Wordsmith.org