Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 03/29/02 07:22 PM
Posted By: Faldage Re: Quilibristic, anyone? - 03/29/02 07:57 PM
Brick and mortar OED comes up blank. I suppose we could break it down into Latin roots; what book did the Österreicher friend get this word out of?

Posted By: wwh Re: Quilibristic, anyone? - 03/29/02 08:03 PM
Dear Max: I think the Austrian needs a new keyboard. Her "e" just isn't working.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Quilibristic, anyone? - 03/29/02 08:05 PM
Maybe it's a factitious word, like absquatulate. Does the prefix ab-- have a particular meaning? I ask because absquatulate reminds me of abscond, in beginning sounds and somewhat in meaning. Is squatulate a word?

Posted By: apples + oranges Re: Quilibristic, anyone? - 03/29/02 09:37 PM
The word reminds me of "equilibrium".
Maybe the two are related.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Quilibristic, anyone? - 03/29/02 10:22 PM
you guys ought to listen to dr. bill now and then; sometimes he gets onto something. :-/

equilibristic a., of, pertaining to, or characteristic of, an equilibrist (One who is skilled in feats of balancing; esp. a rope-walker, acrobat.)

http://home.mn.rr.com/wwftd/
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Quilibristic, anyone? - 03/29/02 10:37 PM
Yeah! I figured it was a missing E at the beginning of the word, but got here too late (sometimes I have to work ). Good on ya, Dr. Bill.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 03/29/02 11:14 PM
Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Quilibristic, anyone? - 03/29/02 11:37 PM
Did anyone notice that Apples + Oranges posted, despite the fact that that name is no longer in the database?

Come in, blithe spirit? Boy, the ectoplasm is sure cold around here!

Posted By: Jackie Re: Quilibristic, anyone? - 03/30/02 01:11 AM
Did anyone notice that Apples + Oranges posted, despite the fact that that name is no longer in the database?
Yep, and she (I think--sorry if I misremember) still gets Private Messages, too---unless it went into the ether.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Quilibristic, anyone? - 03/30/02 02:53 AM
here's what I misremember: because of the unusual format of the name (with the +) s/he was always sort of a non-person.

(post no bills)
Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 03/30/02 03:35 AM
Posted By: Jackie Better late than never - 03/30/02 04:14 PM
deluded herself into thinking I am some kind of word guru
grr, my friend. I have warned you about this sort of thing.
If I knew but half of the things you know, I would be at least ten times more knowledgeable than I am now.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Quilibristic, anyone? - 03/30/02 04:28 PM
Sheesh! And I thought it just sounded like an angry porcupine!

Just goes to show ya what a little e- can do for ya!

Posted By: apples + oranges Re: Quilibristic, anyone? - 03/30/02 04:35 PM

>>here's what I misremember: because of the unusual format of the name (with the +) s/he was always sort of a non-person.

Yes, it's true. Even at the beginning people had trouble with reading my info. But after all this time, I logged on without any problems, and I can get personal messages.

© Wordsmith.org