Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Rubrick Easter - 03/20/02 05:03 PM
The web definition is given thus:

Eas·ter (e'st?r)
n.
A Christian feast commemorating the Resurrection of Jesus.
The day on which this feast is observed, the first Sunday following the full moon that occurs on or next after the vernal equinox.
Eastertide.
[Middle English ester, from Old English eastre.]

The Encyclopaedia evokes: [from A.S. Eastre, name of a spring goddess]

Very informative but nothing new. From whence did this word come from (latin, greek)?? And why Easter??? Is there a connection with pagan festivities as there are with autumnal festivities such as Hallowe'en (Samhain)?

Apologies if this has been covered before and I'm yarting.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Easter - 03/20/02 05:43 PM
From whence did this word come?

Hello?

Rubrick?

Anyone home?

[from A.S. Eastre, name of a spring goddess]

Posted By: wwh Re: Easter - 03/20/02 05:55 PM
Here is a lot of information about Easter:

http://www.bibleanswer.com/easter2.htm

Posted By: hev Re: Easter - 03/21/02 12:28 AM

Huh? AnnaStrophic is a spring goddess? Should I bow to thee oh Eastre-bringing goddess?

Hev
Posted By: Rubrick Re: Easter - 03/21/02 09:15 AM
Hello?

Rubrick?

Anyone home?

Unfair Faldage!!! I know I put in the reference above to the spring goddess but I was just interested to know to which religion she belonged! I have never heard of her before. Okay, I could look it up in an instant but I am still interested to know why that particular goddess was chosen over all the others.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Easter - 03/21/02 09:32 AM
Sounds like a fertility thing - the goddess of Eastre - gen?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Easter - 03/21/02 01:49 PM
The Easter eggs are the eggs laid by the Goddess when She coupled with the World Serpent. These are symbolic of the Egg from which hatched the Universe. They are painted red because red is the color of the Goddess in her aspect as Mother. This is shown us by the red rising full moon. The Easter Bunny is the Hare we see in the pattern of the full moon.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Easter - 03/21/02 01:52 PM
Uh huh, Faldage. Now pull the other one.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Easter - 03/21/02 01:57 PM
Now pull the other one.

You want me to pull your finger?

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Easter - 03/21/02 09:49 PM
Sounds like a fertility thing - the goddess of Eastre - gen?

Oh, Rhube, I see. Her religion was birth control pills. Now it all makes sense. Thanks very much, pal. I owe you. Mean it. Really. Honestly. Right.

Posted By: wwh Re: Easter - 03/21/02 10:07 PM
Dear CK: estrogens induce nubility, but are no barrier to conception that I know of.

Posted By: doc_comfort Re: Easter - 03/22/02 03:02 AM
...estrogens induce nubility, but are no barrier to conception that I know of.

Um, what? Remind me again why we prescribe pregnant mares urine?

Just had a horrible thought that I'm missing something clever, funny or important. Am I?

Just had another horrible thought - that Dr Bill knows something about conception that I don't.

inconceivable.

Well, he has waxed eloquently on the subject of virgins. Maybe he ... nah!

Posted By: Sparteye Re: Easter - 03/23/02 05:32 PM
Her religion was birth control pills.

Makes a lot more sense than the method prescribed by many religions, that of praying that you don't get pregnant.

inconceivable
unbearable and insurmountable

Not to mention inscrutable.

Your logic is as impregnable as your wit is fertile.
(and your laughter infectious)

Posted By: wwh Re: Easter - 03/23/02 06:11 PM
Dear doc_comfort: Will your patients really drink pregnant mare's urine for birth control?

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 03/23/02 07:43 PM
Posted By: wwh Re: Easter - 03/23/02 08:18 PM
Dear MaxQ: Some parental admonishments fail tragically. To wit, the mother who repeatedly told her daughter that she must not let the boyfriend get on top of her, "because Mother would worry." So when daughter came home, Mother demanded "Did you let him get on top of you?" Daughter replied: "No, I got on top of him and now his mother can worry!"

Posted By: Bingley Re: Easter - 04/02/02 09:59 AM
Eastre was an Anglo-Saxon goddess whose festival happened to be celebrated at more or less the time the Christians who converted them celebrated Easter. I think I'm right in saying most other languages use cognates of the English Paschal, which ultimately derive from the Hebrew word for Passover.

Bingley
Posted By: wofahulicodoc premarin - 04/04/02 12:07 AM
A little late to be re-entering the fray but since I apparently started it with my tale of 35-years-ago naivete, let me clarify that when I thought PreMarIn was a contraceptive, I was MISTAKEN !

It isn't. Not processed or natural. Never was promoted as such. It just keeps some of the more annoying symptoms of menopause at bay. Less expensive generic equivalent is just as effective, by the way.

Posted By: Rouspeteur Re: Easter - 04/04/02 04:03 PM
I think I'm right in saying most other languages use cognates of the English Paschal

On the only two I know you only score 50%

German: das Ostern >very close to the English in structure in that the root, OST = east.

French: les Pâques. Which is close, but Paschal actually translates to "pascal"

Posted By: Bean Re: Easter - 04/04/02 04:34 PM
Pasqua in Italian.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Easter - 04/04/02 05:20 PM
Spanish: pascua
Portuguese: pâscoa

Posted By: Bingley Re: Easter - 04/05/02 03:14 AM
Dutch pasen
Indonesian paskal

Bingley
Posted By: consuelo Re: Easter - 04/05/02 03:26 AM
The land mass now known as the state of Florida got it's name because a ship of Spaniards "found" it(I didn't know it was lost!) on Easter Sunday. In Spanish, this is known by the term "Pascua Florida". Florida means flowery or adorned.

Posted By: Bingley Re: Easter - 04/05/02 03:54 AM
And the Indonesian island of Flores got its name from the Portuguese word for flowers.

Bingley