Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 02/12/02 09:30 PM
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Huckery - reprise - 02/12/02 09:44 PM
get thee to a huckery, max! (this is an obsolete variant of huckstery, that place where a huckster does business)

-joe (I can't answer your real question) f.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Huckery - reprise - 02/13/02 12:41 AM
No clue, MaxQ. [helpful look]

Posted By: hev Re: Huckery - reprise - 02/13/02 12:46 AM
Anyone have enlightenment for me?

Enlightenment is found within, MaxQ, look within yourself sorry, I couldn't resist ...

And no, I'm sorry, I don't have an answer for you about huckery. Other than people's names, the only reference I've found for huckery is Swedish weaving on monk's cloth:

http://www.crafts-america.com/profile/rocky_mountain_huckery.html

Good luck with your search, MaxQ!

Hev
Posted By: Jackie Re: Huckery - reprise - 02/13/02 02:00 AM
Honey, could it possibly have come from Huckleberry Finn, who could reasonably be said to be "old, run-down, shabby or askew"? Or perhaps the word huckleberry was formerly used for that, and this is a corruption? (WG)

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 02/13/02 02:10 AM
Posted By: maverick Re: Huckery - reprise - an aside - 02/13/02 03:44 PM
standard Zild accent

Thanks for that, Max - quite a useful reference to be able to quote in discussion of sounds of language. "This dunce may yet dance by chance..!"

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Huckery - reprise - an aside - 02/13/02 03:55 PM
Yeah, Max, I enjoyed it too! Now can you find us a Zild accent [sic] site where we can hear complete sentences? I'd like to hear intonation and the existence or not of the intrusive R effect...

Posted By: Faldage Re: Huckery - reprise - 02/13/02 04:38 PM
the nether regions way down North

Me'n'theASP got us a globe proves you're wrong, Max. We'll bring it to Wordapalooka?.

Posted By: Keiva Re: Huckery - reprise - 02/13/02 05:02 PM
Max ain't no palooka!

As proof of Max's position, please note that when Aussies and Kiwis participate in Olympic events, their final standings are routinely among the high numbers, such as place #45 or #53 -- none of those low numbers like 1, 2 or 3 for them!

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 02/13/02 08:20 PM
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Huckery - reprise - 02/13/02 08:30 PM
Me'n'theASP got us a globe proves you're wrong, Max. We'll bring it to Wordapalooka?.

see Animal Safari

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 02/13/02 08:43 PM
Posted By: Keiva Re: Huckery - reprise - 02/13/02 08:47 PM
BTW, Max is fully correct on his sports statistics about Australia -- and in the generalization he draws from them. But Max, I just couldn't resist the opportunity to join in the "upside down" wordplay.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 02/13/02 08:56 PM
Posted By: maverick Re: Huckery - reprise - 02/13/02 11:46 PM
a shudder...

No worries, mate. Duly filed under appropriate category of linguistic resources, so thanks for the morning tease...

Posted By: hev Re: We of the Antipodes - 02/14/02 02:20 AM
Now, now, don't go lumping the Aussies in with Kiwis when ytalking about poor Olympic performance. Australia's performance at the last Summer Games was truly outstanding, their gold medal haul was far and away the best of any of the major competitors on a per capita basis.

Why, MaxQ I do believe y'are defending the honour of your fellow Antipodeans (thanks for resurrecting the word, Russ yet another K1W1 made good, ie known the world over as an Aussie). I know ya don't wanna be lumped with us I'm sure the feeling is mutual, but ya sure are kind!

Hev
Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 02/14/02 02:32 AM