Wordsmith.org
Posted By: reed Often mispronounced? - 01/15/02 07:14 PM
What's the consensus on the pronunciation of the word often? Is the letter T silent? Do you make an assumption about the speaker if you hear the T? Trying to sound upper class, or being too correct? Is the T more often audible in certain dialects or geographic areas? Any relation the the slightly poetic and maybe older form, oft?

Posted By: Angel Re: Often mispronounced? - 01/15/02 07:31 PM
As I have stated in other posts, I tend to pronounce things a bit different than most Buffalonians, but hey...that's me!

I say the T. Though not many round here do!

Posted By: wwh Re: Often mispronounced? - 01/15/02 08:10 PM
I take pleasure in being inconsistent. Sometimes it sounds better to pronounce the "t", so I do.

My dictionary gives both pronunciations.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Often mispronounced? - 01/15/02 08:58 PM
That's a T I never cross when I come to it.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Often mispronounced? - 01/16/02 02:30 AM
often

When I say often my T is soft, which rhymes with oft, where my T is hard again, but then I soften it for soften, an oft repeated contradiction, but there you are...I think.

Posted By: stales Re: Often mispronounced? - 01/16/02 02:45 AM
Greetings reed

I recall a previous thread on this at this site???

Anyway, I think "off-en" is the dominant form in Australia. I believe many here would regard "off-ten" as old fashioned - and don't believe that there are any "class" connotations with either pronunciation. (After all, one's social standing is pretty irrelevant in this country - any divisions seem moreso related to one's job). I am also unaware whether the pronunciation is "regionalised" here.

stales

Posted By: Bingley Re: Often mispronounced? - 01/16/02 04:12 AM
I seem to remember reading somewhere (Fowler?) that the traditional pronunication was in fact offen, but it was spelt with a t to show the link with oft. Then in the 19th century some people started thinking that if there's a written t there should be a spoken one as well, but this writing pronunciation was never completely accepted.

Bingley
Posted By: NicholasW Re: Often mispronounced? - 01/16/02 12:57 PM
I agree that /oftn/ is probably a spelling pronunciation, i.e. a revival, not a survival of the original. The loss of T between other consonants is normal, e.g. soften, castle, whistle; probably also 'postman' for most of us; though without access to the OED I have no idea what century the T was lost in.

I say /ofn/, and always regarded /oftn/ as substandard (until I become a proper linguist who doesn't make such pernicious judgements hem-hem). Middle class perhaps. On the increase, possibly. I couldn't say which is more commonly used.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Often mispronounced? - 01/16/02 04:12 PM
(until I become a proper linguist...
Well, my dear, I really can't say as to your propriety, but there is no question as to the other.

It was the 17thC, Sweet Nicholas:
http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=20000602

I found this thanks to tsuwm:
http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=1717

Posted By: Sparteye Posman? - 01/16/02 04:13 PM
The loss of T between other consonants is normal ... probably also 'postman' for most of us

Really? I've never heard "postman" pronounced without the "t." Poll please - is this regional? How do you pronounce it, everybody?

Posted By: wwh Re: Posman? - 01/16/02 04:50 PM
Plebiscite, plebiscite! How about "The hostess with the mostess"?

I'm a stingy Yankee. If I spend money on a "t", I'm going to pronounce it. Half of the time, anyway.

Posted By: Angel Re: Posman? - 01/16/02 06:46 PM
Poll please - is this regional?

Around here, we call him the mail man or her the mail carrier. But, that is not what you asked.

I would pronounce postman with the T.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Posman? - 01/16/02 07:00 PM
Old Nick is right, at least in relation to me. When I thought about it, I realised that I do pronounce it posman. Well-spotted, that man!

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 01/16/02 07:15 PM
Posted By: Keiva Re: Posman? - 01/16/02 08:00 PM
I pronounce it "mailman".

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 01/16/02 08:04 PM
Posted By: Bingley Re: Posman? - 01/17/02 05:38 AM
posman

Bingley
Posted By: Bean Re: Posman? - 01/17/02 11:40 AM
As did I. I wonder if it's common to all Liz's lands, or just our two?

In Canada, it's mailman (although technically it's probably letter carrier). However, we usually pronounce t's in words where they are ignored by others (internet, international, interesting, interact - all these still have that first "t" pronounced in Canada, and the innernet, innernational, inneresting, inneract pronunciations are viewed as US'n). So I would pronounce the '"t" if I had to say the word postman.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Posman? - 01/17/02 11:51 AM
Posman...usually, now that I think about it. Occasionally, post man--I think it's a Southern thing. "The post' man left a lot of letters today."

innernet, innernational, inneresting, inneract
I don't think I've ever heard any of these.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Posman? - 01/17/02 12:53 PM
I don't think I've ever heard any of these.

Watch American TV news. Any channel. Any part of the country. You'll hear 'em all used within one half-hour show.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Posman? - 01/17/02 06:04 PM

You'll hear 'em all used within one half-hour show.

If we know what we're supposed to be hearing and we're familiar with the accent being spoken we'll fill in a lot of blanks. Listen carefully. I have frequently heard infastru[c]ture from national level newscasters.

Posted By: Sparteye Re: Posman? - 01/17/02 08:42 PM
FWIW, the word most commonly heard here is the sex-neutral "postie"

And so you pronounce that "po-see?"

Posted By: Jackie Re: Posman? - 01/17/02 08:51 PM
And so you pronounce that "po-see?"
Ooh, you are wicked!

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 01/17/02 08:55 PM
Posted By: wwh Re: Posey - 01/17/02 09:10 PM
restrain with a posey vest when in bed with 2 side rails up and a posey belt when
in the wheelchair. The use of the posey vest restraint has been in effect ...
http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/projects/nursing_homes/pdf/hydepark_3.21.

Posted By: of troy Re: Posman? - 01/18/02 02:17 PM

You'll hear 'em all used within one half-hour show.

If we know what we're supposed to be hearing and we're familiar with the accent being spoken we'll fill in a lot of blanks. Listen carefully. I have frequently heard infastru[c]ture from national level newscasters.

Oh yes-- i am quite sure that i say during as juring -- but i did an infromal survey, and everyone "heard" me say During-- i think i say internet, and i never hear any one say innernet-- but i will start listening.. faldage is right-- i might just be adding the t

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Often mispronounced? - 01/18/02 04:46 PM
I say /ofn/, and always regarded /oftn/ as substandard (until I become a proper linguist who doesn't make such pernicious judgements hem-hem).

this intrigued me, b/c i would've thought the opposite; i always pronounce the T and i'm not sure i've heard it the other way except perhaps from a child.

what about "February"? i pronounce the "r" that immediately follows the b, although it's so quick that you might miss it. definitely there, though. is the silent "r" considered a 'linguistically correct' alternative?

also, how about "wednesday"? i say 'win-s[t]ay', but it's always bothered me b/c it seems it should be pronounced something more like weddin'-s[t]ay. any thoughts?

Posted By: of troy Re: Often mispronounced? - 01/18/02 05:01 PM
also, how about "wednesday"? i say 'winds-day', but it's always bothered me b/c it seems it should be pronounced something more like weddin'-s[t]ay. any thoughts?

Oh yes, its Wends day, (just as a brook might wend its way through a glenn) --until i go to write it-- then its Wed nes day...it this (ok, i have been told twice, but i still don't remember the term--) like brid --> Bird and pretty-->purty, and ask --> ax? Wednes became Wends?

and can you say it quickly--- before you think! Saturday

is it Sat'r day? Or Satur day? or Sat-her day? with no space in the Sat-her but a definate t at the end of Sat and an H before the (schwa)R? i think i say the last one..

it drives me crazy-- once we start talking about how we say things... because i tend to slip into a hyper correction... Often is a hyper correction..(i think!) it should be offen.

Posted By: Sparteye Re: Often mispronounced? - 01/18/02 06:30 PM
I say, "February," but am almost alone in doing so. My "Wednesday" sounds like "Wendsday," and my "Saturday" is sometimes closer to "Sadderday."

Posted By: consuelo Re: Often mispronounced? - 01/18/02 08:43 PM
What that other Michiganian said. Exactly.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Often mispronounced? - 01/18/02 08:56 PM
Oh, I think we all mangle some aspects of the language in normal speech. Faldage is certainly correct (I didn't say that, I didn't say that, I didn't say that ... ad nauseam) when he says that we tend to mentally interpolate missing letters or "correct" total mispronounciation of words. Yet another reason why furriners have trouble with the lingo, I suppose.

If you want painfully correct diction MOST of the time, I suggest you listen to the Beeb.

Posted By: wofahulicodoc frequently - 01/18/02 09:35 PM
Returning to the original question - can't call it an old British usage to say off-ten. I offer W. S. Gilbert's

MAJOR-GENERAL: ...I see where we are getting confused. When you said "orphan", did you mean "orphan", a person who has lost his parents, or "often", frequently?

_Pirates_ opened in London New Year's Eve, 1879, with nary a thought that often could be pronounced with a t; if so, no ambiguity whatsoever, and hence no humor.

Not to say that some people don't pronounce it the other way; just that a British accent isn't the source.

(Or maybe...it was Shakespeare who made us pronounce the T! In Julius Caesar ! "The evil that men do lives after them/The good is often tarred with their bones"?)

Posted By: wofahulicodoc frequently deleted - 01/18/02 09:39 PM
My word. (Actually reed's word.) So I do. You say I repeat myself, that I'm redundant, that I say the same thing over and over again?
Posted By: Angel Re: frequently - 01/19/02 12:19 AM
Talk about FREQUENTLY?

Wofa...you gotta stutter there!

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: frequently - 01/19/02 12:30 AM
Talk about FREQUENTLY? Wofa...you gotta stutter there!

He offenly reprises himself.

there's nary a T
in of(t)enly

© Wordsmith.org