Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Capital Kiwi Antonym ... - 01/12/02 04:59 PM
of anuptaphobia, please?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Antonym ... - 01/12/02 05:08 PM
anuptaphilia

You knew I'd say that. I ain' saying what Ænigma had to say about it.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Antonym ... - 01/12/02 05:31 PM
gametophobia (also gamophobia) - the fear of marriage

http://www.ojohaven.com/fun/phobias.html

{anuptaphilia would be the love of staying single -- a slightly different thing altogether.}
Posted By: wwh Re: Antonym ... - 01/12/02 05:42 PM
Here is yet another list of phobias. If anuptaphobia is fear of remaining single, then the antonym would be fear of getting married, gamophobia.

http://www.didyouknow.cd/phobias/phobiasmz.htm

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Antonym ... - 01/12/02 06:18 PM
No, I'm looking for the fear of remaining married ...

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Antonym ... - 01/12/02 06:29 PM
No, I'm looking for the fear of remaining married ...

Ha! I have no idea why this strikes me as being very, very funny, but it does!! Sure does seem there should be such a word, and, if there isn't, we need to invent one!

Posted By: wwh Re: Antonym ... - 01/12/02 07:16 PM
Ask SWMBO

Posted By: wow Re: Antonym ... - 01/12/02 07:17 PM
make one up ... hmmmm

Fideliphobia?

Posted By: consuelo Re: Antonym ... - 01/12/02 07:58 PM
That sounds like a fear of big cuban cigars to me, WOW.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Antonym ... - 01/12/02 09:41 PM
That sounds like a fear of big cuban cigars to me, WOW.

Come, come, surely that would be monicafidelophobia?

No, what I was looking for was a fear of remaining married. Retrospectively, I shouldn't have asked for the antonym.

Anyway, Bill suggested I ask SWMBO, but she knows that she doesn't need to fear it and therefore she wouldn't need a word for it. After all, it is not an irreversible state. The word she would probably be looking for is one which represents a loathing of the prospect of getting and/or remaining married ...

Posted By: wwh Re: Antonym ... - 01/12/02 10:19 PM
While browsing for possible words to fill CK's request, I found a fascinating extremely erudite discussion of Roman marriage. It is very long, but full of details about the rituals and ceremonies, which were far more
complex than I had realized.

http://www.ukans.edu/history/index/europe/ancient_rome/E/Roman/Texts/secondary/SMIGRA*/Matrimonium.html

Posted By: wwh Re: Synonym? - 01/13/02 12:49 AM
Pavor uxoris?

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Synonym? - 01/13/02 03:13 AM
Pavor uxoris?

Fear of wives? Nice try, but still doesn't get it. It's an English word for fear of remaining married I'm looking for. Doesn't exclude Latin roots, of course!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Synonym? - 01/13/02 04:30 AM
not being one who is easily convinced of the need
for a new word at the drop of every hat (there are
so many unused ones lying about), may I respectfully
suggest that gametophobia only wants a slight mod.
of definition; to wit, instead of "the fear of marriage":
a. the fear of getting married
b. the fear of being married

Posted By: Jackie Re: Synonym? - 01/13/02 11:00 AM
at the drop of every hat...a slight mod.
of definition;

Pretty good hat trick, there, tsuwm!

Posted By: Faldage Re: Antonym ... - 01/13/02 08:02 PM
Anuptaphobia/gam(et)ophobia

Is the one really the opposite of the other? Asserting such sounds like a close relative of the fallacy of denying the antecedent.

As a side quibble, can something be slightly different altogether to another?

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Antonym ... - 01/13/02 10:47 PM
Anuptaphobia is the fear of remaining single. I was looking for a word for the fear of remaining married.

I entirely agree with tsuwm that there is probably no need to create a brand new word for this. If the language has coughed up anuptaphobia, surely it has also had cause to bring forth a word for the fear of the exact opposite condition - remaining married ...

Posted By: Angel Re: Antonym ... - 01/14/02 12:31 AM
Pardon my ignorance on this matter, but why, oh why would one want to know????

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Antonym ... - 01/14/02 05:12 AM
CK, not to quibble, but since you're quibbling, what's the difference, in your mind, between
b. the fear of being married
and your "fear of remaining married". if necessary, I'll gladly change b. to read as required.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Antonym ... - 01/14/02 11:05 AM
Well, I can't read CK's mind (always ), but to MY mind, the fear of being married = gametophobia. I think the word he's looking for would stand for feeling something like this: "I've gotten married, and that's ok, but...oh NO, something terrible will surely happen if I stay married".

Posted By: of troy Re: Antonym ... - 01/14/02 04:51 PM
Oh, come on now tsuwm. getting married is fun, what with new clothes, and households, and stationery, and wedding showers, and wedding parties...

its the daily grind of being (remaining!) married that is so awful. we can no longer count on disease to carry off our first husband, (or wife as the case may be) and instead of serial monogamay, we now have long marriages.

it wasn't uncommon for a old widower, (with money!) to marry some poor but hot young thing, and sow his last oats..
and then leave her a young widow, with dependent child(ren)and the childs estate to manage.. with a bit of money of her own, hopefully too.

and some poor young man, looking to make his way in the world, would take on (now) the less than prime widow, with her kids, and give her a few more, till she dropped from exhaustion, or some complication of birthing, and he would inherit her money, (and control over the moneys of his step children) and use those assets to build up his holding so he could be a rich old widower, who could marry a poor but hot babe!

keeping the same husband (or wife) for years and years on end is a rather new life style, and the prospect is scary! Forget Pre-nups, let's go for contract marriage.. 5 years at a time.. no divorce.. just come to the end of contract time and either renew, or end!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Antonym ... - 01/14/02 05:05 PM
what we have here is [yet another] failure to communicate. I'm trying to differentiate between 'getting' married (e.g., "let's get married") and 'being': staying, remaining, continuing in the state of being married. and thus, my a) and b) were meant to cover the two senses of our word: fear of the process of getting married and fear of the continuing state of marriage.

but now that we've gone this far down the pathology of wedded bliss, I must say this: all these odd -phobias (see links above) are nothing short of a joke to serious lexicographers. people have come to believe there must be a -phobia for almost everything, and if there isn't one for what they're thinking of, they coin another one. [witness this very thread.]

dictionaries treat them with short shrift:
a. L. -phobia, a. Gr. -uob¬a, forming abst. ns. from the adjs. in -u¾bo| (see -phobe) with sense ‘dread, horror’; as in Ídqouob¬a, hydrophobia ‘horror of water’. Also in modern words formed in Eng. by analogy, as Anglophobia, Gallophobia, Germanophobia, Russophobia, some of them imitating Fr. forms in -phobie. The following exemplify the uses to which -phobia has been put (thirteen(!) examples follow.) there are only 100 headwords otherwise spread throughout the OED of which these are the only a*phobias:
acrophobia
aerophobia, aerophoby
agoraphobia
ailurophobia
algophobia
Anglophobia
anthropophobia
astrophobia

and the g*phobias even fewer/less

Gallophobia
Germanophobia
gynophobia

so what's my point? I guess I'm changing my tune. go ahead and coin. you're just as good as the next gamophobe. odds are it'll never see print anyways.

[btw, gamos = anglisized Gk. for marriage, whose first sense is: 1. a. The condition of being a husband or wife; the relation between married persons; spousehood, wedlock.]

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Antonym ... - 01/14/02 10:08 PM
tsuwm writes at the end:

wedlock

...and there's the rub.

Best regards,
RubbedDub

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Antonym ... - 01/14/02 10:16 PM
I wasn't asking for myself ...

However, if staying = remaining, then tsuwm's (b) would do the trick I suppose.

Ta, folks. Pleasantly unDraconian, it's been! Even if that was somewhat anastrophic.

Posted By: Keiva Re: phobias - 01/14/02 10:20 PM
all these odd -phobias are nothing short of a joke to serious lexicographers. people have come to believe there must be a -phobia for almost everything

Mrs. Byrne lists acarophobia, acoustico~, aeluro~, agora~, agyio~, aichmo~, algo~, amatho~, amaxo~fear of being withut Max?, ambulo~, anthropo~, anupta~, atychi~, automyso~, and auto~ -- and that's just the A's. The book as a whole has well over a hundred.

Grandiloquent Dictionary has 57 in the A's alone. notably including amomaxiaphobia - A fear of making love in an automobile
Posted By: tsuwm Re: phobias - 01/15/02 12:53 AM
>Mrs. Byrne

good heavens, you'll be at it all night -- there are more than 20 just in the As. (but see the Grandiloquent Dictionary, which has 60 or so As.)

nicely timed edit!

p.s. - arithomomania, a mania for counting
Posted By: Keiva Re: phobias - 01/15/02 01:40 AM
p.s. - arithomomania, a mania for counting
p.s. - apeirophobia - a fear of infinity
p.s. - arithmophobia - a fear of numbers

Posted By: duncan large Re: phobias - 01/15/02 04:08 PM
I was talking to a friend the other day , I asked him about the likelihood of his getting married again he replied "I'm not going to bother to get married again.No, to save time I'm just going to find someone who hates me and buy them a house."

the Duncster
Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: phobias - 01/15/02 06:16 PM
Wasn't it Albert Einstein who said "There are only two things which are infinite. These are the universe and human stupidity - and I'm not so sure about the universe."?

Posted By: Keiva Re: women and men - 01/15/02 07:33 PM
"I'm not going to bother to get married again. No, to save time I'm just going to find someone who hates me and buy them a house."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/comics/king.htm?name=Blondie&refresh=true
Posted By: Angel Re: women and men - 01/15/02 08:26 PM
Why Keiva! You DO understand women!

Posted By: TEd Remington Speaking of Monica - 01/18/02 09:38 PM
She turned 28 the other day. Seems like only yesterday she was crawling around the Oval Office on her hands and knees.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Speaking of Monica - 01/18/02 11:00 PM

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 01/18/02 11:11 PM
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Speaking of Monica - 01/19/02 12:48 AM
...and a brand new eponym...a lewinsky! Self-explanatory.

Posted By: Rapunzel Re: Speaking of Monica - 01/19/02 05:45 PM
a brand new eponym...a lewinsky

I first heard this one when I eavesdropped on a fellow student's cell phone conversation while pretending to be absorbed in my History textbook, a useful skill for an inveterate nosy parker. The girl was protesting to her friend that she and a guy (apparently not her boyfriend, hence the discussion) hadn't had sex or anything, they had just lewinsky'd...
(lewinskied?)

© Wordsmith.org