Wordsmith.org
Posted By: timeforthis bogart - 11/13/01 10:03 PM
Has anyone ever heard the word "bogart" used as a slang term for keeping a lot of objects to one's self?

Posted By: wwh Re: bogart - 11/13/01 10:32 PM
Dear timeforthis: We are always glad to see new participants. But since you are new, may I in a friendly way suggest you explore the search option at top of this window, looking for previous posts on this topic. of which there were quite a few. I think you may find what you are interested in there. But do come back with further questions if you are not satisfied with the previous posts. My recollection is that to "bogart" meant to be slow to share a joint with others.

Posted By: consuelo Re: bogart - 11/13/01 10:43 PM
Dearest timeforthis,
Welcome to the board. Do not be shy. With time, all will be revealed! Now I'll bet you'd like to know how I did that laughing smiley guy. I just put brackets around the word laugh, et voilá! Please feel free to send me a private message if you'd like to learn how I did that accent, or any little thing.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: bogart - 11/13/01 11:40 PM
Hello, timeforthis...

Bog art was enjoyed by the bog artists of the Neolithic Age. And these artists were extremely wary of sharing their art with neolithic friends, relatives and other bog artists. They hid their bog art so well, that we yet to find a single example today. We art hysterians suspect that most of it has gone up in smoke. To bogart is, indeed, to keep one's future smokes to oneself.

Hope this helps,
Wordward

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: bogart - 11/13/01 11:46 PM
Hello, timeforthis! And welcome to the board! Ironically, you have me remiscing here, because bogart was actually the first topic I had the courage to launch a thread with when I was a "stranger" (not that I'm any less stranger now) way back in March of this year! I don't think two folks have ever turned up with the same inaugural posts before, so I guess that puts us in a league all of our own! Here's the page url if you want to check it out (just click on it):

http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=eponyms&Number=22489

And I challenge anyone to try to bogart this thread...just go ahead and try it!

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: bogart - 11/14/01 02:59 AM
Hello timeforthis and congratulations. I think you just received the warmest albeit perhaps corniest welcome I've ever witnessed on this board.

Sure hope you have the time to stick around.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: bogart - 11/14/01 03:19 AM
albeit perhaps corniest

Ain't nothin' corny about Bogart....just ask Lauren Bacall!

Posted By: musick A time for us... - 11/17/01 04:50 PM
...the warmest...welcome From the warmest people, of course.

I smell at rat... and I'm guessing it's either male or female, prolly residing in the north or the south, and I'm assuming they have some sort of accent.

Mav - Don't make me come over there...

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: A time for us... - 11/18/01 04:13 PM
I always assumed that the term bogart came from images of H.B. smoking the last nub of a hand rolled cigarette. Hence to bogart a joint was to keep it to oneself and in so doing smoke it down to the end, or the roach if I remember correctly.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: A time for us... - 11/24/01 06:01 AM
Hey there, timeforus, welcome to the Board. If you've been lurking you'll know what's up, if you haven't, boy, are you in for a shock!

Dr Alex stated Hence to bogart a joint was to keep it to oneself and in so doing smoke it down to the end, or the roach if I remember correctly.

Never used the term "bogart" in Zild. Very, very yankee, that. A roach is the unsmoked portion of a joint, but only after it has been extinguished. Not, of course, that I would have ever been involved in the drugs scene at any time in my misspent youth. Nope. No way. No sirree bob.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: A time for us... - 11/24/01 11:01 AM
Capital Ki wrote: No way. No sirree bob.

Why is this Bob the one who so often rears his incredulous head? He sure needs a lot of assurance. And do we ever agree with the rascal? "Yessirree, Bob!" Who is Bob?

Best regards,
Bobless

Posted By: tsuwm Re: A time for us... - 11/24/01 02:31 PM
>Who is Bob?

three curves and a twiddle, label it bogart, and bob's your uncle.
-ron obvious

Posted By: musick ... someday there'll be... - 11/24/01 06:39 PM
...in my misspent youth. You musta been bogarting it since you have *so much left...

Bob's not my Uncle!

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: ... someday there'll be... - 11/25/01 03:33 AM
What in the Sam Hill is this "Bob" you're all talkin' about?

I encourage timeforthis to come back and help us out with this thread. (God knows we can use all the help we can get!). But our stranger does seem a tad shy. I sent a nice PM talking about bogart and the intriguing prior thread (with url), and nary a peep! Unless, of course, timeforthis is already one of us.
Ahem! Look around...who's been missin' lately?

Posted By: Wordwind Re: ... someday there'll be... - 11/25/01 08:26 AM
Mebbe timeforthis doesn't have...

© Wordsmith.org