Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm verbing nouns - 05/31/00 06:03 PM
We've had several threads and subthreads bemoaning the widespread practice of verbing nouns (authoring, transitioning, scapegoating(!), etc.). As "Calvin and Hobbes" (a US comic strip) so eloquently put it: "Verbing Weirds Language." But we also know that there is a rich tradition of forming verbs in this manner (zero derivation in technical terminology).

So, is it possible to voice (there's one now!) some rules under which we would apply the syn-tax penalty for this practice?

Posted By: Jackie Re: verbing nouns - 05/31/00 08:03 PM
Do you mean to tell me you want to tax syn, now??
Do you work for the government or something?

Posted By: Keiva Re: verbing nouns - 03/03/02 04:39 AM
apply the syn-tax penalty

Do you mean to tell me you want to tax syn, now??

Some years ago a state legislator proposed a tax to be imposing on every conjugal act between persons married (to each other). But how would that tax be enforced; how would the government know how much was due?

"Strictly by voluntary reporting," said the legislator, but then added with a twinkle in his eye, "Of course, all tax returns would be a public record open for public inspection. This would probably be the only tax in history which the public voluntarily overpaid."

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: verbing nouns - 03/04/02 12:50 AM
At about the same time this not-too-bright fellow went into a drug store and asked how much a package of condoms cost. The druggist said, $1.00."

Our hero pulled out a dollar and said he'd like a package. The druggist rang up the sale and said, "That will be $1.06."

The perplexed man asked what the six cents was for, and was told, for tax. "Oh," said the fellow, "I was wondering what held them on."

© Wordsmith.org