Wordsmith.org
Posted By: GallantTed Stranger - 11/08/01 05:28 PM
Howye all

I'm new here and I'd like ta make all yer acquaintances. The thing is that I'm classified as a "stranger" and whereas the dictionary denotation of this word is a bear who is not known or new, the connotation is more of an intruder or someone who may not be trusted. Like a dirty old man in a raincoat or somethin. Ammen't I right?

I'm looken fer yer suggestions on a new word ta describe new comers ta this site. What about that wonderful recent word of the day - "neophyte?"

Posted By: wwh Re: Stranger - 11/08/01 05:44 PM
The answer is that "strangers" are just very welcome new contributors. We need a lot of new ideas. I hope you have a gratifyingly large number, to which I may have the pleasure of replying. Howdy, stranger!

Posted By: Faldage Re: Stranger - 11/08/01 05:45 PM
an intruder or someone who may not be trusted

Only to the truly paranoid.

Some of us is stranger nor others. And don' outgrow it.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Stranger - 11/08/01 05:57 PM
this cross thread is in honor of the Lone Stranger:

http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=wordplay&Number=24811

oh... wait... that was the Lone Ranger. never mind.

Posted By: wwh Re: Stranger - 11/08/01 06:14 PM
Dear GallantTed: now that you have been adequately welcomed, may I without giving offence, be so rude as to ask you where you got that etymology for stranger involving bears?

Posted By: TEd Remington I'd like ta make all yer acquaintances - 11/08/01 06:16 PM
GT:

You must be very careful which of my acquaintances you try to make. Some of them are married; some are spoken for. Some are both. And whatever you do, don;t come on to HoT!!!

There's a few of them, though, who are fair game. Or fairly game. Can't remember which.

Welcome aboard my eponymic friend.

Posted By: of troy Re: I'd like ta make all yer acquaintances - 11/08/01 06:36 PM
[indignant rant]And whatever you do, don;t come on to HoT!!!

and what may i ask brought that on? i am a model of decorum! I gently flirt--(M-W 10th-- 2b-- to behave amorously without serious intent but i have no favorites-- every man here has received sweet affectionate notes.. and no one has been singled out for secret messages in white..and i think, none slighted..

i haven't left a sting of broken hearts, not am i likely too..
dear sir, you sully my good name!
[/indignant rant]

Posted By: Faldage Re: Stranger - 11/08/01 06:50 PM
a bear who is not known or new

Would you be a Mahony, then?

Posted By: wwh Re: Stranger - 11/08/01 07:05 PM
Nor a Pug A. Mahone.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Outlandish Bear - 11/08/01 07:10 PM
Well, Stranger, if you're a bear, I hope you're a Kodiak. Also, are you the one who wears gold beneath your fur who loves either Snow White or Rose Red, can't remember which?

By the way, I think you'll enjoy the synonyms for strange, particularly the ones I put in red:

Synonyms: strange, peculiar, odd, queer, quaint, outlandish, singular, eccentric, curious.

I think it would be a wonderful thing to be an outlandish, curious Kodiak bear!

Happy growling,
I wouldn't know what a flirt would be if one hit me smack dab in the middle of my face
WW

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Outlandish Bear - 11/08/01 07:36 PM
>Synonyms: strange, peculiar, odd, queer, quaint, outlandish, singular, eccentric, curious

w, your thesaurus is woefully *weak! without half trying I could add selcouth and tramontane (but I wouldn't want you to think of me as weird or eerily eldritch).

Posted By: wwh Re: Outlandish Bear - 11/08/01 08:07 PM
Or anomalous, exotic, and (coined) xenogenetic

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Stranger - 11/08/01 08:31 PM
Bill:

Think person instead of bear. I interpreted the ursal growl as referring to a generic whom he called bear.

TEd

As in Ted D Bear, perhaps.

Posted By: Geoff Re: Stranger - 11/08/01 10:02 PM
What about that wonderful
recent word of the day - "neophyte?"

Well, GT, it's my belief that since that word literally means something that's newly planted, it really refers to the newest occupants of a cemetery. But if you really dig it...

Posted By: consuelo Re: Stranger and stranger - 11/08/01 10:19 PM
Curiouser and curiouser. Have you talked to Alice yet? There are some that say I'm Alice.............heh heh.

Posted By: GallantTed Re: Stranger - 11/09/01 01:05 AM
Thank ye all fer yer marvellous wellcome.
So many name ta remember and some of them don't even have vowels - how is a bear ta cope at all?

Wwh - I got that explanation about stranger bears from me tedasaurus. Being the most educationest bear around here I'll give ya a little lesson in Gaelic. (Prudes and the faint hearted, please look away now) It's Pog Mo Thoin (sounds like hone) which litterally means "kiss my bottom". Of course around here it sounds better if ya say "kiss me arse."
Mahony is actually pronounced Mahon-y, not Ma-hone-y. I appreciate yer efforts all the same.

TeD and Troy - do I feel a bit of tension between ye here? I'm not here fer love - unless ya mean the love of words and all things wordy.

Wordsmith - Thanks fer looken up "strange" fer me, but ya seem ta be getten yer aggitives and noums mixed up. Me mind is bogglen at the names ya were tryen ta call me - a curiousity? an oddness? Terrable altagether.

I see I'll have me work cut out fer me around here. Still, it'll be worth it, if I manage ta pick up a soupcon or two.

Which one of ye was tryen ta call me a grave digger? I assure ya that all me digging is done in a very jolly manner. Jovially and jocundly even.

Goldilocks isn't an Irish woman - she's a universal parvenu. And I'm not an Irishman - I'm an Irish teddy bear- there's a huge differance, ya know. Me Muse is a lovely lady altagether.

Posted By: wwh Re: Stranger - 11/09/01 02:11 AM
Dear GT: I hope occasionally to beg the benefit of your knowledge of Gaelic to help me with some bits of pronunciation. I did know how to pronounce Samhain, but most of the other words I once could pronounce I have now forgotten.

Posted By: NicholasW Re: Stranger - 11/10/01 12:38 PM
The association of strange = foreign and strange = enemy is common enough in languages, but of course we also have stranger = guest.

The words 'guest' and 'hostile' are related, being the Germanic and Romance reflexes of PIE *ghost-, 'stranger', acquiring in Latin especially the sense 'enemy', thus a host = an army.

It is unrelated to ghost = spectre, or to host = eucharist.

It is probably related to host = one who receives you, from Latin stem hospit- (so also hospital, hospice, hotel), which is probably from hosti-pot- 'guest master', the second bit being from the root pot- 'power'. The same second part appears in Greek des-pot- 'house master'.

:-)

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Strange Bear - 11/10/01 01:17 PM
Au contraire, dear teddy, I offered some adjectives for you to swipe up with your paw for the fun of them.

And, tsuwm, I never intended that woeful list to be comprehensive--just bear-baiting, actually. Eldritch is a familiar stranger to me; your other two curiosities are brand new.

Always grateful for the kindness of strangers,
Blanche

Posted By: plutarch Re: Stranger - 11/10/01 09:51 PM
I'm looken fer yer suggestions on a new word ta describe new comers ta this site. What about that wonderful recent word of the day - "neophyte?"
I was a "Stranger" here once myself and I asked the very same question as you did for the very same reasons. (As I recall, I also proposed "neophyte" and also the more shop-worn "newbie".) I was welcomed as warmly as you were (and are) by all, but no-one confronted the issue directly. I can't exactly explain why, GallantTed. I guess there are 'mysteries' here that one only penetrates with time. (There aren't any secret handshakes that I know of.) For some, these 'mysteries' may enhance the allure. Perhaps being a "Stranger" is thought of at some level as an initiation period. Perhaps that's a good idea. Who knows? In any case, welcome to AWADtalk.

Posted By: wwh Re: Stranger - 11/10/01 10:13 PM
Dear plutarch: it is my understanding that the titles of participants was part of a package that Wordsmith bought, and would require some painful and expensive software re-write to change. I'm sure no putdowns were intended, or should be perceived.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Stranger - 11/10/01 10:23 PM
>I'm sure no putdowns were intended, or should be perceived.

that's right bill -- those have come from the participants.

Posted By: musick Stranger Dangers - 11/10/01 10:37 PM
Well, well, well... if it isn't time for a heads-up, ther'll never be one...

http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=animalsafari&Number=3265

There was a time when I played the advocate of the devil 'imself (NTTAWWT)... and now my intentions are completely clear... alwaysHi, tsuwm...

However, not to confuze my reasons fer posting the above link... it was one of my all time faverits 'til a virus spread thru the last 16 posts or so and my 'puter woodn't load it anymore...

A hartie welcome to moss (again), milum, plutarch, wordminstrel and my sertain-to-be spellcheck buddie GallantTed.

As to the suggestshun that yer in fer an "initiation" period... well, ask anyW'ON pivately... and to suggest that there are hidden rules means ya ain't lookin' hard enough (not to suggest that you should, but since yer aksin'Hi, Keiva)... you should send archie a private message and see what (s)he thinks... or better yet, ask Alice. (BTW, beware of emoticons... they're pure evil, I tell ya!

TEd - You prolly alreddy thawt of this one, but, I think you've been G-Ted. (I'm still giggling about "Flockhart"...)

Posted By: plutarch Re: Stranger - 11/11/01 01:39 AM
the titles of participants was part of a package that Wordsmith bought, and would require some painful and expensive software re-write to change
Thank u, wwh, and tsuwm, both. Explication lifts the veil of 'mystery'. Aside to GallantTed: We both have our answer now. I don't know about you, but think I preferred the intrigue.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Stranger Dangers - 11/11/01 01:51 AM
ask anyWO'N privately

Privately schmivately! Here's what my good buddy Hyla had to say in public when I ventured to launch my first major thread here: Whitman - you definitely merit the "stranger" appellation under your name, but I applaud your resolve. remember Froggy Daddy?

"initiation" period

Aha! So my "frat hazing" crack back on the Nautical thread was on the mark after all! all in good fun, insel!

you should send archie a private message and see what (s)he thinks...

Better, yet, send a PM to the immortal Vixey...whoever, whatever, and wherever she (he, it?) may be!
Posted By: TEd Remington shake! - 11/11/01 07:59 AM
>There aren't any secret handshakes

Nope. Just pull my finger.

Posted By: Keiva Re: shake! - 11/12/01 12:16 PM
fingerpulling: any meteorolgists here, TEd and dr. bill?

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Stranger Dangers - 11/13/01 02:50 AM
Here's an outtake from a similar discussion on an old "memory lane" thread recently referred to. It just had to be here!

I agree, FS, "stranger" doesn't seem right. My perception is that the longer one sticks around here, the stranger one's posts get.

© Wordsmith.org