Wordsmith.org
Posted By: stales Cat Holidays - 10/23/01 11:21 AM
How come cats take a break at a cattery - but dogs go to boarding kennels, not a doggery.

(Begs the question: Do bugs go to buggery?)

stales

Posted By: Wordwind Post deleted by Wordwind - 10/23/01 11:42 AM
Posted By: Keiva Re: Cat Holidays - 10/23/01 11:50 AM
Could it be that cats go to a cattery (and bats to a battery) for the same reason that grain goes to a grainery and beans go to a beanery: they are small, fungible entities of no distinguishing individual identity?
(ducking for cover -e)

Posted By: Faldage Re: Cattery??? - 10/23/01 01:14 PM
small, fungible entities of no distinguishing individual identity

Aside from not commenting on the abysmal ignorance Keiva displays by lumping cats in this class I would question this word cattery. At first I thought, hmm, stales, mus' is a piece of Ozzery; but, no; a couple of US'ns jump in and blithely talk about it as though it were a perfectly reasonable question to ask so I ask myself, "Is this some word that even I, with my wide experience in linguistic foibles, have somehow managed not to have been exposed to?" I leave it to the rest of y'all; Is there even such a word in Oz or is our good stales attempting to pull a fast one over on us that only a Fool would catch?

Posted By: wwh Re: Cattery??? - 10/23/01 01:36 PM
I thought a cattery was a house with a red light on the porch.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Cattery??? - 10/23/01 01:41 PM
Dr. Bill thought...

I forbore, Dr. Bill.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Cattery??? - 10/23/01 03:02 PM
Faldage mewses "Is this some word that even I, with my wide experience in linguistic foibles, have somehow managed not to have been exposed to?"

yes.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Cattery??? - 10/23/01 03:14 PM
tsuwm tsitses yes

And when was the last time it was used in civilized society?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Cattery??? - 10/23/01 03:42 PM
>And when was the last time it was used in civilized society?

don' know 'bout that, but they's gots standards.

http://www.cfainc.org/articles/cattery-standard.html

Posted By: stales Re: Cattery??? - 10/23/01 11:43 PM
Faldage - I was surprised at your surprise about the word 'cattery'. If that's not what you call a place to board cats what do you call them?

The idea for the post came to me yesterday when driving through the outer suburbs of Perth. Went past a council sign at the side of the road that announced, "City of Gosnells - Kennel Zone". The very next sign is "Annabelle's Cattery" and there are numerous others as you drive through the district.

Sigh....I just want to be taken seriously every now and then....(insert down at the mouth emoticon)

stales

Posted By: stales Re: Cat Holidays - 10/23/01 11:47 PM
Keiva raises a good point. How come chickens live in a battery and not bats?

stales

Posted By: Keiva Re: Cat Holidays - 10/24/01 12:23 AM
Chickens live in a battery? I didn't know that! [embarassed -e]

Posted By: teresag Re: Cat Holidays - 10/24/01 02:15 AM
Saying chickens live in a battery is purr chickenery!

Posted By: stales Re: Cat Holidays - 10/24/01 03:16 AM
Keiva

"Battery" hens - as opposed to "Free Range" hens. A practice still common in Australia, but much frowned upon in animal lib. circles.

Guns are found in a battery as well!!

stales

Posted By: Wordwind Post deleted by Wordwind - 10/24/01 08:26 AM
Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Cat Holidays - 10/24/01 10:07 AM
It is notable that this thread (like so many others) shows a distinct tendency towards catachresis.
However, I must add my 2.5 drachms to the search for knowledge by ensuring you-all that the term "cattery" is in common use in UK,as a temporary repository for felines unwilling or unable to accompany the people with whom they normally reside and who provide essential services (such as supplying them with cates).

Those of a more theological disposition might prefer to take temporary lodgings in a cathedral, of course - especially if they are contemplating their eventual journey (by catafalque) to the catacombs. This happens to them all in the end, of course, especially those with catarrhine breathing organs.

I leave it to Dr Bill to introduce catamites into the thread.

Posted By: Flatlander Re: Cattery??? - 10/24/01 12:16 PM
If cattery's not what you call a place to board cats what do you call them?

Both canines and felines whose people are on vacation may stay at the kennel located in the animal hospital where my wife works. There is also the recent phenomenon known generally as doggie day-care -- a place (sometimes part of a regular long-term kennel, but sometimes not) where dog owners leave their dog every day while they are at work, presumably so the dog can play and be walked (and not tear up the house) regularly.

Posted By: wow Re: Reigning cats and dogs - 10/24/01 03:39 PM
Around the Seacoast area there are Catterys for cats and kennels for dog, Vets board both cats and dogs and misc. other pet animals. There are two great Doggie-Day Care Centers that also take a few longer term boarders. There are also Pet Services where you contract to have someone come and walk your dog while you are at work -or- up to four times a day if you're away for awhile. They will also feed and water and provide playtime if needed!
Cats and dogs rule, they aren't fools!

Posted By: Wordwind Post deleted by Wordwind - 10/24/01 04:10 PM
Well, mainly in the catty corner. But you have to look cross.

Posted By: Keiva Re: King of all cattery - 10/24/01 07:45 PM
Cat, by Sinclair Lewis, ends with the cat praying to its cat-god:

Its very purr is of piety
And thanks to the Feline Giver.

And this is how it prays:
"Ancient of days
With whiskers torrendous,
Hark to our praise,
Lick and defend us.

Lo, how we bring to Thee
Sweet breasts of mouses;
Hark how we sing to Thee,
Filling all houses
With ardent miaouses
Until it arouses
All mankind to battery.

Thou with golden claws,
Thou of silver claws,
Thy tail is the comets' cause,
King of all cattery!"

http://angelfire.com/biz4/veronispoofs/catrelated.html; emph. added

Posted By: Wordwind Post deleted by Wordwind - 10/25/01 07:56 AM
Posted By: wwh Re: Torrendous - 10/25/01 01:26 PM
You have to have a poetic license to use it. And that poem does not elevate my opinion of Sinclair Lewis.
Unless he was putting it in the mouth of Babbitt.

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: King of all cattery - 10/25/01 01:30 PM
That must be catterel because doggerel doesn't fit in this context.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Torrendous - 10/25/01 01:56 PM
well googled? ten people who can't spell torrential??

Posted By: Keiva Re: Torrendous - 10/26/01 11:25 AM
that poem does not elevate my opinion of Sinclair Lewis.
dr. bill, would you make allowance for the purrported fact that he had chosen a singularly unappealing subject (cats) upon which to muse?

Posted By: Jackie Re: Torrendous - 10/26/01 11:49 AM
he had chosen a singularly unappealing subject (cats) upon which to muse?
And Keiva thereby paints a target on himself...

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Reigning cats and dogs - 10/27/01 05:40 PM
Don't expect me to share in any general praise of kennels good bad or indifferent ... it is costing me some NZ$4,500 to bring my dog from Zild to Britain. And a lot of that is being charged by kennels owners.

Posted By: wwh Re: Reigning cats and dogs - 10/27/01 05:53 PM
Dear CK: Commiseration on cost, commendation on caring so much.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Reigning cats and dogs - 10/28/01 11:32 AM
Bill, me care? Me, the one who's been staring longingly in gunsmiths' windows at the 50p bullet which would reduce my costs so much? Huh!

© Wordsmith.org