Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Wordwind Post deleted by Wordwind - 10/22/01 10:41 PM
Posted By: Keiva Re: Demesne - 10/22/01 11:34 PM
an old legal term, not limited to lands. Per Black's Law Dictionary:

"Demesne: Domain; dominical; held in one's own right, and not of a superior; not allotted to tenants."

"Demesne Lands: In English law. Those lands of a manor not granted out in tenancy, but reserved by the lord for his own use and occupation. Lands set apart and appropriated by the lord for his own private use, as for the supply of his table, and the maintenance of his family; the opposite of *tenemental lands."

and the historical import:

Ancient Demesne: Manors which in the time of Willliam the Conqueror were in the hands of the crown, and are so recorded in the Domesday Book.

Posted By: Wordwind Post deleted by Wordwind - 10/22/01 11:55 PM
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Demesne - 10/23/01 04:15 AM
demesne has several senses, mainly following from the legal one mentioned, but note that it is just another form of the word domain. (and is pronounced /di MANE/ or /di MENE/)

By her Fine foote, Straight leg, and Quiuering thigh, And the Demeanes, that there Adiacent lie. -WS, Romeo & Juliet

One wide expanse... That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne [rime serene]. -Keats

Posted By: Wordwind Post deleted by Wordwind - 10/23/01 09:42 AM
Posted By: Keiva Re: Demesne - 10/23/01 09:49 AM
and tsuwm, Quiuering thigh?

Posted By: wwh Re: Demesne - 10/23/01 02:11 PM
Adjacent lies the promised land.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Demesne - 10/23/01 02:48 PM
adjacent lies the promised land... quivering

(aren't you glad that spelling has been... standardized? :)
Posted By: wwh Re: Demesne - 10/23/01 03:26 PM
Somewhere I read "Lady Quivering-Quiff". In UK "quiff" is a style of hair cut. but at www.quiff.com it is something else again.Warning: highly improper.

Posted By: of troy the demense of serendipity! - 10/23/01 07:13 PM
busy day today-- i haven't had a break all day, no lunch, and no time to even read threads till now..(4 pm) and the NYTimes crossword.. is still unfinished! there in the middle i was stumped.. 36 across-- Lord's estate.. and i had more than half the letters, DE_ES_E-- and was still at a loss.. and here is this thread..

Oh i love you all!

Posted By: Keiva Re: the demense of serendipity! - 10/23/01 07:18 PM
The way to a lady's heart is through cross words?

Posted By: of troy Re: the demense of serendipity! - 10/23/01 07:54 PM
>>The way to a lady's heart is through cross words?

Do you want my heart? Oh greedy man! you already have a wife, and flirt, and now you want to capture my heart too?
(and am i not still married?-- i thought Ck and i were married.. would you want to make him a cuckhold? though, i will admit things are not working out as i expected.. not a single credit card to date! )

Please don't pine for me.. unrequited loves a bore!

Posted By: of troy Re: the demense of serendipity! - 10/23/01 07:54 PM

Do you want my heart? Oh greedy man! you already have a wife, and flirt, and now you want to capture my heart too?
(and am i not still married?-- i thought Ck and i were married.. would you want to make him a cuckhold? though, i will admit things are not working out as i expected.. not a single credit card to date! )

Please don't pine for me.. unrequited love's a bore!

Posted By: Keiva Re: the demense of serendipity! - 10/23/01 09:07 PM
Nay, nay, Helen. I would never demean you with cross words!

© Wordsmith.org