Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh bilingual coinage - 10/20/01 05:57 PM
In the November 2001 issue of Discover,p. 56, I encountered the following (partial) sentence:

........munching sushi from his superefficient freezer (typical of his über-frugal tendencies,
he has microwaved it so briefly that the California rolls are still partially frozen).

At first I didn't like it, but on re-reading it decided I did like it. There is a bit of rhyme between "superefficient" and "über", and "über-frugal" sounds like a Gernan word. Please comment.

Posted By: plutarch Re: bilingual coinage - 10/21/01 12:46 AM
typical of his über-frugal tendencies
I don't parlez-vous German, wwh, but "uber" means "over". In this sense, I suppose it means "excessively". It appears "uber" could be combined with any word describing a trait (eg. uber-cautious) and it would work. How did "uber" become a consort of english nouns? I don't know of any other words that play this role. We have imported a lot of foreign words into the language (eg. sang froid) and we use them as english words but they stand alone. And how do we explain "Franglais"? It can't be a French word because only the english speak "Franglais" ... some better than others. Art Buchwald was a comedic master of "Franglais" who translated "Miles Standish" as "Kilometre Deboutish".

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen - 10/21/01 09:27 AM
Posted By: Rouspeteur Re: bilingual coinage - 10/21/01 10:41 AM
And how do we explain "Franglais"? It can't be a French word because only the english speak "Franglais" .
Franglais is a different kettle of fish because it was born by having the two languages side by side. I suspect you have the same sort of thing in the various parts of Europe where the borders have moved back and forth every few years.

Franglais is spoken by French people and hence the word being French. Example, I asked one of my brothers-in-law how you would say four-wheel drive in French:
Answer:
1. Le four by four.
2. Le quatre par quatre.
3. La propulsion à quatre roues motrices.

In many cases the English is used because it is shorter and easier so say. One of the jobs of the Office de la langue français is stamp out these anglicisms.

In Montréal especially, you will hear Englench(??) because French is the dominant language. When going to the corner store I would say, "I'm going to the dépanneur (or the dep)."

Finally, there is a third case that should not be lumped in with the others: that of someone learning a second language. When speaking French, if I don't know the French word for something, I just insert the English word (with a French accent), hope for the best, and continue on.

Posted By: NicholasW Re: bilingual coinage - 10/21/01 12:07 PM
It presumably derives from Nietzsche's Übermensch, which in English became known as Superman. (Was Shaw the first to use Superman in English, or were there translations of Nietzsche before him?) Freud then coined the term über-ich, Englished as super-ego.

The use of über in English seems to me to be a geeky or subculture thing: someone might be described as an über-geek or indeed an über-babe. (Members of one site I use include Uberfetus and Ubermeme.)

Posted By: wwh Re: bilingual coinage - 10/21/01 02:01 PM
I should have pointed out that the article was about a millionaire scientist who practiced conspicuous underconsumption. The interviewer coined the word "über-frugal" as a cute way of avoiding a word that the millionaire might have found insulting.

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: bilingual coinage - 10/21/01 02:07 PM
Freud then coined the term über-ich, Englished as super-ego.

So if ego comes from ich-o (for those of y'all who don't know German, ch sounds kinda like a soft k in some areas) where does Id come from?

Posted By: wwh Re: bilingual coinage - 10/21/01 02:41 PM
"ego" is Latin for "I". "id" is Latin for "it".

Posted By: plutarch uber undertones - 10/21/01 02:54 PM
The interviewer coined the word "über-frugal" as a cute way of avoiding a word that the millionaire might have found insulting.
Don't kill the goose that is laying the golden ratings, sorta thing, huh? "Interviewers" and Talk Show Hosts obviously walk a fine line here. The British talk show host, David Frost, was often accused of being unctuous. You can never slather it on too thick for a big ego, of course, but it often gives the audience indigestion. "uber-frugal" (in place of "miserly") is the opposite side of the same counterfeit coin, wouldn't you say, wwh? The judicious use of a foreign word allows a speaker to gloss his defamation off with a veneer of cordiality even reverence, especially if it is accompanied by a smile or other gesture of obsequious regard. Everyone's the happier for it. The defamed ego will never know it has been punctured, some in the audience may be curious enough to investigate the bon mot after the fact in which case they will enjoy a sort of post-prandial chuckle, and the interviewer preserves his reputation as an unctuous hypocrite, all for the betterment of the Neilsen ratings.

Posted By: wwh Re: uber undertones - 10/21/01 04:25 PM
Dear plutarch: It is bad form to bite the hand that feeds one. In the article the millionaire's idiosyncracies are reported to give a human touch both to his wealth and his scientific standing. I think coining a word was desirable. I'd like to see some alternative coinages.

Posted By: plutarch uber the top! - 10/22/01 12:09 AM
Sorry, wwh. I should have taken the cue from your use of the word "cute" in describing the use of the term "uber-frugal". My twist on "uber" was definitely "uber-the-top". As to your proposal that I come up with another take on this, how about uber-understatement?

Posted By: wwh Re: uber the top! - 10/22/01 12:48 AM
That sound like a variety of weaseling, supporting both sides at once.

Posted By: plutarch Re: uber the top! - 10/22/01 02:45 AM
That sounds like a variety of weaseling, supporting both sides at once.
I hope not, wwh. You are a very civilizing influence on this Board and I respect what you have to say. That said, my experience of uber-speak is probably less benign than yours. How did the weasel get bummed with the rap of running in 2 different directions at the same time, anyway? In some circles, this is high art, more befitting a diplomat than a weasel. I have heard that there is a mythological animal known as a "Luferlang" that can run in either direction without turning around. Quite fittingly, its tail appears in the middle of its back. I do think we have to allow for some differences of opinion, wwh. One person's lovable
'uber-frugality' is another person's curmudgeonly penny-pitching. In my time, I have met both. Perhaps you have as well. No offence intended to your humane millionaire, wwh. My uber-innuendo was not intended for him (or the person who interviewed him, or the person who profiled him, either). (Can a 'weasel' run in 3 different directions at the same time? )

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: bilingual coinage - 10/22/01 05:03 AM
Old Nick quoth It presumably derives from Nietzsche's Übermensch, which in English became known as Superman. (Was Shaw the first to use Superman in English, or were there translations of Nietzsche before him?) Freud then coined the term über-ich, Englished as super-ego.

The use of über in English seems to me to be a geeky or subculture thing: someone might be described as an über-geek or indeed an über-babe. (Members of one site I use include Uberfetus and Ubermeme.)

But the guy was eating sushi from the freezer in the original quote. Without quite wanting to take TEd's pun crown away from him, wouldn't that make the guy an übermunch?

Posted By: Faldage Re: bilingual coinage - 10/22/01 02:28 PM
"ego" is Latin for "I". Freud used ich "id" is Latin for "it". Freud used es.

It didn't sound high-falutin' enough to translate them into English, hence the Latin.

Posted By: wwh Re: bilingual coinage - 10/22/01 02:31 PM
Dear plutarch: My idea of derivation of "weasel words" is using one word to suck the blood out of another, leaving equivocal meaning. And I am a bit nervous that your kind words might be the anaesthesia before the needle.

Dear CK: I like crunchy Chinese vegetables, but the idea of crystal-crunchy sushi makes me cringe.

Posted By: Faldage Re: bilingual coinage - 10/22/01 02:41 PM
(typical of his über-frugal tendencies, he has microwaved it so briefly that the California rolls are still partially frozen)

Or maybe he just likes them crunchy; sort of a sushisicle.

Posted By: plutarch uber-onics - 10/22/01 07:56 PM
And I am a bit nervous that your kind words might be the anaesthesia before the needle.
No need to be "nervous", wwh. I have no "needles" for you, only genuine regard. I admit I am cynical about Talk Show hosts ... and not only the Gerry Springer types. Also the gushy, fawning types who inspired my "uber-the-top" rant about uber-egos and Nielsen ratings. But you are certainly not a target for any such parody, wwh. From all I have seen, you are neither fawnor nor fawnee - NOT a fit subject for anyone's "needles". If you and I have any disagreement about "uber speak", it is that I believe that "uber" can be used to cloak a deserving derisive comment (perhaps because the speaker is a subordinate of the target, or otherwise vulnerable to reprisals by the target) whereas you believe, I think, that uber-speak should only be used to soften a harsher word (eg. "uber-frugality" in preference to "stinginess"). I believe "uber" can fit both applications. Some people ARE "stingy" and there may be occasions when they SHOULD be called "stingy", not "uber-frugal". But I grant those occasions would be rare (especially in public). BTW how about "uber-onics" , wwh? We have "phonics", "ebonics", "Bushonics". Why not "uber-onics"?

Posted By: wwh Re: uber-onics - 10/22/01 08:33 PM
Dear plutarch: to borrow but modify a gibe by GBS, too bad only you and I feel as you do regarding me.

Posted By: plutarch Re: GBS - 10/23/01 02:31 PM
to borrow but modify a gibe by GBS, too bad only you and I feel as you do regarding me
Sounds like something GBS would say. GBS sent 2 tickets to the opening of one of his plays to Winston Churchill, along with a note reading: "Bring a friend, if you have one." Churchill replied: "I can't make the opening but I'll attend on the second night, if you have one." BTW you are being modest (if not uber-modest) in questioning your influence on this Board.

Posted By: plutarch Tres chic - 10/23/01 03:50 PM
Come to think of it, wwh, there are other foreign words which work like "uber". The french words "tres", "haute" and "trop". The Spanish word "mucho" and probably many others as well including "amigo". Recently I saw the word "couture" used in the heading of a magazine article, "Craft couture". BTW lawyers use the term "weasel words" to describe the small print in a contract. Your descripton of "weasel words" sucking out the life blood of a companion term is probably very apt. The small print in a product disclaimer sucks out the life blood of the promises appearing elsewhere on the package. While your term conjures up associations with a "vampire" which some lawyers might find a little "trop", I for one, am not offended. Wordplay is more fun, and more foregiving, than swordplay.

Posted By: wwh Re: Tres chic - 10/23/01 05:39 PM
Years ago there was a very fine radio program, "Amos and Andy". At one point Andy was in the insurance business, and explained to a client why no benefits were due him, by telling him: "The large print giveth, but the fine print taketh away."

Posted By: Keiva Re: Tres chic - 10/23/01 06:46 PM
Said the judge, apocryphally

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, the coverages on front side of this insurance policy say it covers everything.

The exceptions on the back side of this insurance policy say it covers nothing.

It is up to you, ladies and gentlemen, to determine which side to believe."

Posted By: plutarch Re: Tres a propos - 10/23/01 06:50 PM
Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose. Amos and Andy are long gone but their wit is as fresh as ever.

Posted By: Sparteye Love, love, love - 10/23/01 11:10 PM
...too bad only you and I feel as you do regarding me

I love you for loving me,
You love me for loving you.
I kiss you for kissing me,
You kiss me for kissing you.
So much in love with us are we,
You kiss you and I kiss me.

--- Tom Smothers

Posted By: wwh Re: Love, love, love - 10/23/01 11:55 PM
I love me, I am the best. The merry hell with all the rest.

If you hate me as I hate thee, no sword can cut our hate in three.(My best friend wrote that in my Junior Highschool yearbook.)

Posted By: Keiva Re: Love, love, love - 10/24/01 12:28 AM
One of my late father's favorite bits of doggerel:
I love me. I think I'm grand.
When I go out, I hold my hand.
I put my arm around my waist.
When I get fresh, I slap my face."

(which I hadn't thought about for a decade. S'eye & dr. b, thanks for the memory.)

Posted By: rodward Re: Tres chic - 10/24/01 11:10 AM
weasel words
I thought they were so called because these words formed the clauses used to weasel out of the contract

Posted By: plutarch Weaseling out of words - 10/24/01 07:39 PM
weasel words
I thought they were so called because these words formed the clauses used to weasel out of the contract

Yeah, you're right, Rodward. I was just trying to stretch the meaning to work it into wwh's metaphor about sucking all the blood out of his "uber frugal" example. In a way, "weasel words" do suck the blood out of a contract because they drain away the intent of both parties, as a result of which they both end up with less. I could have used this example instead of the 'cereal box disclaimer' example ... but I didn't think of it. Thanks for correcting me.

© Wordsmith.org