Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Flat Foot Floogie - 09/07/01 07:38 PM
I need an expert on 60-years-ago pronunciation for this one.

The chorus I sing in is shortly to be presenting a program of WWII-era music, and the section devoted to Silly Songs of the Time includes one "Flat Foot Floogie and the Floy Floy." (I trust you'll agree it qualifies.)

The question is whether Floogie is pronounced with a hard G (as in Jeep) or a soft G (as in geese).

Is anyone willing to admit to being old enough to recognize it? The singers are divided. Of course the matter can be settled by executive fiat (110 choristers, 110 votes; one conductor, 111 votes) but we'd rather have an accurate and authoritative answer is one exists...

wofahulicodoc
Posted By: Faldage Re: Flat Foot Floogie - 09/07/01 07:47 PM
I assume you have the sheet music.

I've always heard it as Flat Foot Floozie, so I'll say it's floodzhie*. Dr. Bill would know. You might PM him if you don't get what you feel is a satisfactory answer soon.

BTW, I'd call the jeep sound soft and the geese sound hard.

*Just so as not to engender further confusion, that's floodzhie with the oo as in goose but the g as in jeep

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Flat Foot Floogie - 09/07/01 07:47 PM
Hard G. At least that's how my parents sang it. One was born in ought two and the other in 1914, so they would be primary sources, I believe.

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: Flat Foot Floogie - 09/07/01 08:01 PM
Faldage - (and others too)

Thanks for promptness ! The sheet music is no help; spelling is as presented and that's what generated the question in the first place.

You're right, of course, about hard geese and soft Jeep. And I admire your forbearance in not pointing out that the icon should have been a question mark rather than a note...I can only plead Strangerhood.

Haven't looked at other replies yet. It may be interesting to compare the cross section of responses from this group with that of the singers (another case of five people, six opinions?).

wofahulicodoc
Posted By: wwh Re: Flat Foot Floogie - 09/07/01 09:35 PM
Flat foot floogie with a floy, floy..... like flewjee. I'm totally ignorant about jazz, but I remember that much.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Flat Foot Floogie - 09/07/01 09:44 PM
here's a link to a page with a Fats Waller clip; he quite probably sings 'floojie'.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000001NT7/recommendedrea06/102-9558686-5041767

and the lyrics: http://www.heptune.com/lyrics/flatfoot.html

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: Flat Foot Floogie - 09/07/01 11:49 PM
That sounds pretty definitive. Fats Waller sang floogie-with-a-hard-G, at least in that recording.

wofahulicodoc
Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: Flat Foot Floogie - 09/08/01 01:23 AM
It's g as in jeep. My father-in-law, who knew thousands of songs from the '20s, 30s and 40s used to sing it.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Flat Foot Floogie - 09/08/01 02:09 AM
>Fats Waller sang floogie-with-a-hard-G

really? you hear a hard G? I hear a soft G.
as in Jeep or as in Goose? (sorry, but there was some confusion in your original post)

Posted By: paulb Re: Flat Foot Floogie - 09/08/01 12:44 PM
Hi Wofa …

I'm just listening to a Benny Goodman recording [Big Band Classics, vol. 2] and the band definitely sings "floojie".

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: Flat Foot Floogie - 09/08/01 01:22 PM
g as in jeep

I think we're confusing ourselves in two ways. One, y'all can't agree on which g is hard and which is soft, and secondly, there ain' no g in jeep! Next you're going to say p as in dog.

Posted By: Fiberbabe p as in dog - 09/08/01 01:59 PM
There's a p in dog... it's just upside-down.

Posted By: Geoff Re: p as in dog - 09/08/01 02:07 PM
Fiberbabe, where have you EVER seen a dog "p" upside down?

Jazz, there IS a 'G" in Jeep! The name originated as an acronym, GP, meaning General Purpose, and began being spelled "Jeep," since that seemed more like a word that matched the pronunciation of "GP."

Geoff - with a "J" in it

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: Flat Foot Floogie - 09/08/01 05:20 PM
Well, I _thought_ that the "Fats Waller: 1938" soundbite settled the issue. I heard Floogie-with-a-hard-G-as-in-goose. Apparently that's not unchallengeable. Any other opinions either way?

(To minimize further ambiguity: the hard G sound is meant to be G-as-in-goose, the soft G sound J-as-in-Jeep. )

Btw, so far the results of this highly unscientific inquiry are roughly fifteen floo-J-ies, seven floo-G-ies, and two floo-Z-ies...

[aside: How do I suppress the signature line from these posts? It's a bit redundant, since it appears alongside the message anyway]

wofahulicodoc
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Flat Foot Floogie - 09/08/01 05:49 PM
I heard Floogie-with-a-hard-G-as-in-goose. Apparently that's not unchallengeable.

well, I listened again and I think, although it's hard to distinguish on the first and third, the second floogie (first verse) has a definite "gee" (as in gee whiz) sound. if that's a goose I'm a gone gander. [you may take that as a challenge :) ]

Posted By: wow Re: Flat Foot Floogie - 09/08/01 06:54 PM
I heard it tooooo many times on the radio (those were the pre-MTV, even pre-TV days!) sang it along with everyone else (sigh - what teens will do to fit in with their peers) ... it's like the g in "gee whiz."
Floo-gee
------
The signature is handy if the posts go w-i-d-e and you have to use the push-bar to read a post which generally hides the side of the post with the name on it.
Post go w-i-d-e when a long url is put in without breaking it into two or even three lines.
{discreet cough -e}

Posted By: wow Re: p as in dog - 09/08/01 06:56 PM
There's a p in dog... it's just upside-down.

not just up side down, also backwards p d.

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: p as in dog - 09/09/01 02:38 AM
. >>There's a p in dog... it's just upside-down.

. >not just up side down, also backwards p d.

...and silent, too, like the p in swimming...

wofahulicodoc
Posted By: Jackie Signature - 09/09/01 02:44 AM
W-doc, I just noticed nobody answered your question. I've never tried a signature line--I didn't know what one was, when I signed on. But I imagine you could get rid of it by going to Edit Profile, and deleting it where you put it in.

Posted By: Faldage Re: p as in dog - 09/10/01 12:54 PM
not just up side down, also backwards p d.

Depends on which way you upside down it. If you rotate it about the x-axis it upside downs to a b, if you rotate it about the y-axis (in three space representation the y-axis is coming out of the screen, what you would normally think of as the y-axis has been relabeled the z-axis while you weren't looking) *then it comes out as a p.

AnnaS and I were puzzling over this bit of ambiguity when Will Shortz stated his weekly Sunday Weekend Edition puzzle a week ago with the hyphenated eight letter word that turned into another hyphenated eight letter word when you turned two of the letters over.

The answer was ping-pong => ding-dong.

© Wordsmith.org