Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wow Snug - 09/05/01 09:36 PM
For some reason this word popped into my head and I thought about being "snug as a bug in the rug" or comfortable and warm.
Then there is the action of tightening a bottle cap.
Or snugging the handle of a faucet - to keep it from dripping.
Then there is that pesky reference in books that are set in England - the snug of a pub or bar. What is that?
Can you think of other "snug" references -- off the top of your head?

P.S. To save you some time : I searched for "snug" and only the two "Cup of Joe" thread entries had some interesting references.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Snug - 09/05/01 10:02 PM
It doesn't have that 'comfy' meaning when you say "my shoes are a littly snug"

Posted By: wwh Re: Snug - 09/06/01 12:20 AM
ETYMOLOGY:
Of Scandinavian origin; akin to Swedish snygg, neat, trim.

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Snug - 09/06/01 01:01 AM
When i saw the word snug posted as a topic, I just knew the question was about the pub room called a snug. It's the bar-parlour of an inn or public house, derived from snuggery.

The very traditional pub has two "sides" to it, with an ordering area between for carry-out. One side is the snug, and the other side was more for eating.

Posted By: NicholasW Re: Snug - 09/06/01 09:50 AM
The snug is actually a very small area, an alcove large enough to fit one or few tables. Most pubs don't have snugs.

Some do have eating areas separate from the main bar, but most don't.

One pub I know has a very small snug, one that accommodates perhaps four people. I heard a story that this is across a parish boundary and the licensing regulations could once have been different there (cf. the pub in Puckoon), but I have no idea if that has any truth to it.

Posted By: maverick Re: Snug - 09/06/01 10:49 AM
Yes, I agree with Nicholas - in my experience the pub snug refers to an alcove, typically equipped with bench seats either side of the fireplace, often tucked right back into the massive inglenook.

Posted By: paulb Re: Snug - 09/06/01 11:37 AM
Snug is also the name of a small rural village some 20 or so kilometres south of Hobart. I don't know how it got its name but it's tucked inside a cove rather snugly.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Snug - 09/06/01 01:02 PM
Whereas: Most pubs don't have snugs, as our erudite NW outpoints, it should be recorded that most pugs have snubs.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Snug - 09/06/01 02:27 PM
most pugs have snubs.
Good one, AnnaS!

Sweet Nicholas, I recall a story, too, about a pub that supposedly straddled a boundary, but cannot verify this.
Makes me wonder how well the wet/dry laws were actually carried out, or not, inside the place. Now, won't you share with us how well-acquainted you are with all the
pubs in England? Don't you think original research is called for, to try and locate this (possibly) mythical, two-sided one?

Posted By: rodward Re: Snug - 09/06/01 03:31 PM
I think the search would be great fun and shouldn't take more than a few years. One I know of is: (Those who do not wish to know the score should look away now) The Lamb Inn situated on the Hampshire / Wiltshire border, the inn is in Wiltshire but the first steps are in Hampshire. At one time the county boundary actually ran through the bar itself and as closing time was earlier in Hampshire the locals would make a rush to the Wiltshire end of the bar to obtain extra drinking time. The pub is set in an idyllic setting and you can sit in Wiltshire, look out over the village green, and during the summer watch a game of cricket taking place in Hampshire.
See http://www.inthe-newforest.co.uk/tourism/where-to-eat/starpub.htm
A google brought up at least one more.
Rod

Posted By: rodward Re: Snug - 09/06/01 03:31 PM
I think the search would be great fun and shouldn't take more than a few years. One I know of is: (Those who do not wish to know the score should look away now) The Lamb Inn situated on the Hampshire / Wiltshire border, the inn is in Wiltshire but the first steps are in Hampshire. At one time the county boundary actually ran through the bar itself and as closing time was earlier in Hampshire the locals would make a rush to the Wiltshire end of the bar to obtain extra drinking time. The pub is set in an idyllic setting and you can sit in Wiltshire, look out over the village green, and during the summer watch a game of cricket taking place in Hampshire.
See http://www.inthe-newforest.co.uk/tourism/where-to-eat/starpub.htm
A google brought up at least one more.
Rod

Posted By: Jackie Re: Snug - 09/06/01 03:50 PM
Oh, Rod, how utterly cool! Thank you! My goodness, did you see WHERE the Forest Edge Road is located??
Forest Edge Road, Nomansland. Now this puts me in mind of Ultima Thule!

Posted By: paulb Re: Snug - 09/07/01 11:40 AM
and the term is also used for a space on board a ship -- the captain's snug? -- if I remember aright a title from the silent film "For the term of his natural life".

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: Snug - 09/09/01 02:23 PM
The cozyness aspect is reinforced by "snuggle," v. - certainly connoting closeness, limited space, warmth, and comfort.

Snugging (or snugging up), applied to inanimate objects, has only the proximity.

© Wordsmith.org