Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Casey-Canada Mark Twain??? - 08/29/01 04:53 PM
Anybody know the correct citation/full quotation about the 13th stroke of a clock not only being in error but also casting doubt on the previous 12?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: there's nothing new under the sun - 08/29/01 05:15 PM
A.P. Herbert's [1890–1971] line: "This last argument is like the thirteenth stroke of the clock: clearly wrong, and casting doubt on the preceding twelve."

Thomas Hardy (1840-1928) :
"This supreme instance of Troy's goodness fell upon Gabriel's ears like the thirteenth stroke of a crazy clock. It was not only received with utter incredulity as regarded itself, but threw a doubt on all the assurances that had preceded it." Far from the Madding Crowd, Chap. 29

"It is more trouble to make a maxim than it is to do right." -Mark Twain

Posted By: wow Re: Welcome Casey - 08/29/01 05:31 PM
Well you pitched us an interesting question and our Pooh Bah tsuwm stepped to the plate and hit it out of the park.
Welcome to the game, Casey Canada and enjoy the fun!

NO this is NOT a sports thread .. but who could resist carrying on the metaphor when you start with Casey up to bat?

Posted By: Casey-Canada Re: there's nothing new under the sun - 08/29/01 05:46 PM
Searched all my reference books, local library etc. etc. then it took only 20 minutes for tsuwm ( Pooh-Bah) to solve my dilemma. Congrats!

Posted By: jimthedog Re: Mark Twain??? - 08/29/01 05:51 PM
Did anyone else experience deja vu when they saw this?

Posted By: Faldage Re: there's nothing new under the sun - 08/29/01 05:52 PM
it took only 20 minutes for tsuwm

They don't call him tsuwm for nothing.

Posted By: wwh Re: there's nothing new under the sun - 08/29/01 06:26 PM
Dear tsuwm: I am impressed by your achievement in locating the "thirteenth stroke" quote.

Posted By: Casey-Canada Re: there's nothing new under the sun - 08/29/01 10:52 PM
Faldage— Am I missing the joke? What does "tsuwm" mean? Please clarify for us uninitiated.

Posted By: wwh Re: there's nothing new under the sun - 08/29/01 11:03 PM
"tsuwm" could be an acronym for "the supreme understander of word meanings." But I don't know what it really means.

Posted By: jimthedog Re: there's nothing new under the sun - 08/29/01 11:13 PM
I'm pretty sure that it means The Supreme Universal Word Master.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: there's nothing new under the sun - 08/29/01 11:56 PM
>The Supreme Universal Word Master

close, but no locofoco; the supreme universal wwftd master. wwftd?
http://members.aol.com/tsuwm/disclaim.htm

Posted By: jimthedog wwftd is - 08/30/01 10:13 AM
Worthless word for the day.

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: there's nothing new under the sun - 08/30/01 09:53 PM

You mean some people have to pay?

Posted By: Bingley Re: there's nothing new under the sun - 08/31/01 04:53 AM
No, he pays some people to call him tsuwm .

This post is in no way intended to give any personal offence and does not constitute any venting of spleen, bitterness or other unboardworthy feelings.
Bingley
Posted By: maverick Re: there's nothing new under the sun - 08/31/01 10:16 AM
and everyone else pays him exactly what the word is worth

idem, and what's more it doesn't mention a single one of the forbidden topics like sport - oh bugger!

Posted By: tsuwm but seriously, folks - 08/31/01 01:22 PM
it took only 20 minutes for tsuwm...

okay, everybody; I'm all for having a bit of a lark, poking fun at a person's name and all, but. not atypically you have all missed Faldage's obscure play on word. tsuwm™ is actually® a Hebrew verb meaning 'to fast' -- he even went so far as to make the pun visual! but I don't get mad....
-ron o.

Posted By: Faldage Re: but seriously, folks - 08/31/01 01:30 PM
Faldage's obscure play on word.

I allus said, the best puns are the ones the *punster didn't even catch. (And bilingual yet, punster speak with forkéd tongue)

© Wordsmith.org