Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Bingley The windmills of my mind - 08/22/01 05:09 AM
I happened to use the word rota the other day, only to find that my interlocutor (a USn) had only the vaguest idea of what I meant. I then tried it out on a group of assorted Canadians and Australians to find that although they understood it, it was not the word they would use.

Is its use confined to the UK?

Bingley
Posted By: Max Quordlepleen - 08/22/01 06:50 AM
Posted By: emanuela Re: The windmills of my mind - 08/22/01 06:59 AM
happened to use the word rota the other day, only to find that my interlocutor (a USn) had only the
vaguest idea of what I meant

I don't have even that.
Just the title of the tread let me add that the Italian word ruota (rota in some dialects, and in an archaic form) means wheel.
A related meaning was about a rotating device used in convents to connect the inside part with the rest of the world without seeing it, for example to receive food. It was used also to leave there the unwanted children.

Posted By: Marianna Re: The windmills of my mind - 08/22/01 07:00 AM
I don't think I have ever heard "roster" in the UK, though I would know what it means if I heard it. "Rota" is a nice word for this meaning, I suppose it is related to the Latin rota, which means "wheel". Is this right?

Edit-in: Manuela, a rota is, for example, a list of people that are taking turns doing something... Three of my neighbours have a rota system going to pick up their children from primary school. Each day, a different one does it, and they have a list of who is doing it when.

Posted By: Jackie Re: The windmills of my mind - 08/22/01 11:09 AM
Bingley, are you saying you're an airhead?
I don't think I'd ever heard this word before you used it, but it's easy to guess that it has something to do with rotate. The car-pooling example was helpful, thanks, Marianna.

I looked up interlocutor, again to confirm my guess, since this word is also unfamiliar to me, and I like the idea of being the second def.: The performer in a minstrel show who is placed midway between the end men and engages in banter with them. (Atomica) And so, to bring in the other end:

Max, I ain't never gwine give up my campaign against ain't!
(Oh, I LOVE this place!)

Posted By: wwh Re: The windmills of my mind - 08/22/01 12:39 PM
The only way I have ever seen the word;, it was in reference to a special Vatican group that considered divorce cases.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Fortuna rota volvitur - 08/22/01 01:11 PM
I think I would understand this word in context but if'n you jus pulls it outta the blue and slaps it on the table it's gone get a big fat HUH? from an USn.

Posted By: wow Re: The windmills of my rotating mind - 08/22/01 02:09 PM
To Bostonian ears if you say rota, I will think of an automobile part or the Sacred Rota as wwh mentioned, or the thing where you learn by rote (repeating) depending on context.... However, seeeing it written, I'd think of a formal agreement to do something...and where I "learned" the latter I'll never know! So now I know better ... an agreement to alternate performance of a task...Learn something new every day!

Posted By: of troy Re: The windmills of my mind - 08/22/01 02:36 PM
Like others, i might in context pick up the meaning of rota-- but i don't think i have ever heard it. even roster is just a work word -- in terms of a car pool that mothers might set up, i think i would use schedule. i know i wouldn't use roster as a first choise word to describe a the workings of a car pool.

Posted By: wwh Re: The windmills of my mind - 08/22/01 03:11 PM
And if you need to organize a rota, here's the site for you: Duty-Rota.com

Your rotas & users
Welcome
Features
Tutorial
Mobile access
Support

Posted By: Faldage Re: The windmills of my mind - 08/22/01 03:16 PM
Or if your rota is clogged with dirt and other duff:

Rota-Rooter®

Posted By: Marianna Re: The windmills of my mind - 08/22/01 04:07 PM
Helen, the carpooling example came just off the top of my head and is perhaps not the best illustration of "rota". But for instance, if you were sharing a house or flat you might establish a cleaning rota, so that everyone knew what their cleaning responsibility was in any given week. Or you could have a "duty rota", such as we had in one of the university halls I was living in, where there was one member of staff around every night, just in case of medical emergencies, floods or fires.

Posted By: of troy Re: The windmills of my mind - 08/22/01 04:28 PM
yes, i understand-- but while i might come across a duty roster at work-- i don't think roster is much used in dorms, or other locations.. so rota is extremely obscure, and roster is a word with a very limited use (in my experience)-- I have no trouble understanding the meaning, (and gathered that it was a not uncommon word for UK english users-) its just roster is not used very much in US english.. We have schedules of events, and schedules for car pools, and schedules for who is on "duty" in the dorm. it might even be labeled a duty roster-- but we would speak of "who's scheduled? -- check the schedule..." and not "check the duty roster..."

Posted By: Bean Re: The windmills of my mind - 08/22/01 04:45 PM
I guess as a Canadian I sort of straddle the middle. I hear "duty roster" all the time, unlike Helen, but I'd never heard rota before. So there's my two cents. (pennies...pence!?)

Regarding schedule: what's everyone's opinion on SK- versus SH- at the beginning? My dictionary lists both as correct. Is there a regional variation, or is it personal? I found that nuns and professors tend to say SH- and my friends and I usually say SK-.
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: The windmills of my mind - 08/22/01 04:52 PM
Anyone who has had any connection with the US Navy would immediately think of Rota, Spain, which at one time was a major port of call for US warships doing Med cruises. To tell you the truth I don't know if Rota is the full name of a city or some other geographical landmark. But my dictionary shows it as an island of the west Pacific in the Southern Marianas Islands, north of Guam.

Interestingly enough, we seem to have a lot of immigrants from Rota here in the US. Almost every small town I visit has a sign at the outskirts proclaiming the date and time of the meetings of the Rotarians. Don't know whether that's Rota, Spain or the one in the Pacific.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Schedule, Schmedule - 08/22/01 05:00 PM
I allus thought it was pretty standard for USn's to say skedule and Brits to say shedule. Never thought about y'all up there in the Frozen North.

Posted By: wwh Re: The windmills of my mind - 08/22/01 09:18 PM
Dear TEd: You forgot to mention the Rota-ry Anns.

Posted By: Bingley Re: The windmills of my mind - 08/23/01 04:48 AM
In reply to:

I don't know if Rota is the full name of a city or some other geographical landmark. But my dictionary shows it as an island of the west Pacific in the Southern Marianas Islands, north of Guam.

We hve an island here in Indonesia called Roti. I assume was once part of the Sandwich Isles.

Bingley

Posted By: stales Re: The windmills of my mind - 08/23/01 05:23 AM
re "..any connection with the US Navy would immediately think of Rota, Spain, which at one time was a major port of call for US warships.."

Although I suspect I'll only get a titter ("teater" Bean?) from Ozild and UK subscribers.....Perhaps this is where "Rota-Rooter" sprang from (thanx for the tag Faldage!!)

stales

Posted By: Marianna Re: The windmills of my mind - 08/23/01 07:58 AM
Ted, Rota is a town in the south of Spain, in the province of Cádiz. It has lovely sandy beaches, and a good harbour. The US base must be near the town, but I don't know exactly how close to it.

© Wordsmith.org