Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Keiva two words; unrelated meaning; same spelling - 08/11/01 05:00 AM
MaxQ's post about "Palestine/Philistine" popped to mind a question illustrated by this limerick:
. A male lepidopterist author
. Waxed wrother and wrother and wrother,
. Because his own brother
. Had called him a mother
. Instead of an eminent mother.
Is there a term for pairs of words which, though spelled the same, are pronounced differently and have entirely unrelated meanings?

Posted By: musick Post deleted by musick - 08/11/01 02:20 PM
Apparently the lepidopterist "mother" is a homograph but not a homonym of female parent "mother." A long time ago in Reader's Digest there was a little chuckle about an old fashioned librarian being upset when a young girl lepidopterist wanted to borrow a book entitled "What Every Young Mother Should Know."

When I was heavily into costuming for theatre, I always insisted on being referred to as a stitcher. The alternative, of course, being sewer.

Dear Fiberbabe: surely you could have sewed without being a sore.

Dr. Bill comments that Fiberbabe could have sewed without being a sore.

Long's she don't sue nobody.

While thinking about "sew" I noticed I could not think of another word in which "..ew.." rhymes with "owe".Can you?

another word in which "..ew.." rhymes with "owe".

Only "shew" as the alternative spelling of "show". Still seen on oldish railway posters in UK. As kids we vandalised the "Passangers are kindly requested to shew their tickets" signs to read "chew" instead of "show".
Rod

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Shew - 08/14/01 04:34 PM
There is also strew, the old spelling of strow, pronounced the same as shew.

Posted By: Bingley Re: Strew - 08/15/01 08:08 AM
Not a word I've uttered very often, but when I have, I've always pronounced the rew part like rue.

Bingley
© Wordsmith.org