Wordsmith.org
Posted By: bijoyv combactive??? - 07/13/01 04:03 AM
Has anyone heard of this word -- COMBACTIVE?
I searched many resources -- no dictionaries list it. Here's where I found it:

"Since 1988 he was been running with success in mountain bike. He is an obstinate and combactive athlete."

AND

"You can produce container-less material processing, with minimal number of combactive effects"

Any ideas, or is it just a spello?

Posted By: emanuela Re: combactive??? - 07/13/01 06:22 AM
In Italian combattivo has the natural meaning of
fighting.
It is related to battaglia =battle

Posted By: NicholasW Re: combactive??? - 07/13/01 07:15 AM
Just an error, or nonce coinage, I'm sure.

If there had been a Latin root that gave 'combactive', then it would also give the Italian combattivo, but really the 'combat', 'battle' words come from bat- with no original C.

The other division it suggests, com- + active, is also excluded, since com- never takes the form comb- before vowels.

Posted By: belligerentyouth combative - 07/13/01 08:34 AM
Welcome bijoyv!!

By Jove, I tell you what, if that was a word, it would sound prettay sillay, wouldn't it?

aside: it really is shaping up to be a week of warring words!

Posted By: Faldage Re: combactive??? - 07/13/01 01:57 PM
Googling produces three hits. Your bicycling reference, a business news item that is a mite too insider for my poor little economically challenged brain http://www.fiorentina2000.net/news/0600/19k.htm (Scroll down the paragraph starting with "Bayer Leverkusen") and some bbs2.fanforum thang that I can't get in to but which includes "... fears, they are not fearless. She was tender to Michael, friend to Liz and Max, combactive when she needed to be. We know that these writers make any couple a ... "

The Renaissance of the Age of Ink Horn Terms is upon us.

But more to the point, it sounds to me like it is intended to be a portmanteau word made up of combative and active and, as such, to mean combative, but with some intent to the combativeness beyond a simple desire to get into scraps.

Posted By: emanuela Re: combactive??? - 07/13/01 02:04 PM
The latin root for
battaglia, combattere, battere, combattivo = battle, to fight, to beat or strike, combactive
seems to be in the late latin
batt(u)ere (XIII century) = to beat

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: combactive??? - 07/13/01 02:09 PM

The second usage cited sounds like a typo or coinage for compactive. Many products or commodities are compacted to some extent to save bulk in packaging.

Posted By: Faldage Re: combactive??? - 07/13/01 02:34 PM
"You can produce container-less material processing, with minimal number of combactive effects"

The second usage cited sounds like a typo or coinage for compactive.

Or a combination of combination and active implying that there are no effects from the interaction of container and thing-contained.

Posted By: Jackie 'Nother track - 07/15/01 04:12 AM
Welcome aBoard, bijoyv--thanks for the good poser!

I think it's an adjectivization (is that a word?)
of come-back. Just a common-sense type deduction. Many
athletes, esp. obstinate ones, make comebacks. At first I didn't think it would fit the material processing example,
but then I thought that perhaps a come-back effect might be a name for something negative--possibly something that causes a setback. Hmm? Lordy, it's good be be back full-time! <grin>

Posted By: tsuwm let's get physical - 07/15/01 02:12 PM
good grief; is there no such thing as a typo anymore? at first blush it might seem unlikely that this extra letter would be accidentally inserted, but. in reaching up for that 't', some might get a downward reaction of the middle-finger to the 'c', just from some sort of physical memory. try googling for 'recreaction' sometime....
-ron obvious
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: 'Nother track - 07/15/01 09:06 PM
combactive; adj: used to describe the affect of a virulent and active virus ('bacteria") that wipes out dot-com sites!
(i.e. The site was destroyed due to combactive infection.)

Welcome, bijoyv!

Posted By: consuelo Re: combactive??? - 07/16/01 02:26 AM
Welcome #2526! you got this word from Sqandwich Redusx didn't you? (GRIN)Spell check suggests squabble and redwood!

consuelo
© Wordsmith.org