Wordsmith.org
Posted By: DennyBoy Quixotic - 05/14/18 08:27 AM
What do other users understand quixotic to mean? When I see or hear it being used, it doesn't seem to match the dictionary definitions.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Quixotic - 05/14/18 03:58 PM
WELCOME
To me it means unachievable endeavors, tilting at windmills.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: Quixotic - 05/14/18 04:13 PM
Add in an inability or refusal to see how ludicrous are one's stated goals...
Posted By: DennyBoy Re: Quixotic - 05/14/18 06:15 PM
Thanks folks. They're the main dictionary definitions but some others give synonyms like capricious, romantic, impulsive, chivalrous, useless. A friend once told me he was quixotic at quizzes. He could have meant almost anything. I've never read Don Quixote and don't really know what tilting at windmills means so the sense of being like him doesn't really help me.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Quixotic - 05/14/18 09:33 PM
Perhaps read the book, or go to see "Man of La Mancha" at a theater, and perhaps it is on DVD.
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: Quixotic - 08/28/18 12:29 AM
I know this thread has been here a while, but in case anybody's still listening: My sense of "quixotic" is that it refers to extreme idealism and self-delusion, seeing only the good, the perfect in any chosen endeavor or person, being oblivious to problems, drawbacks, or outright evil; attempting the impossible, or at least the highly unlikely. Something like that.
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: Quixotic - 08/28/18 12:52 AM
Luke, I got to play Don Quixote in [i]Man of La Mancha/i] in 1986. My wife is thinking of directing it for production in the fall of 2019, so we watched the movie just last week, to get reacquainted with it. A few of the lines, and most of the songs, were still familiar to me.

Quixotic is also the name of a phenomenal performing troupe, subtitled "Cirque Nouveau", based in Kansas City but performing all over the place. Strong similarities, I suppose, with Cirque Du Soleil, but very much their own brand, with lots of lights and special effects, rhythm, original music, dance (and aerial dance!), acrobatics, costumes, and masks. Maybe not everybody's cup of tea (I happen to love it), but there's no doubting the excellence of the execution. Yes, I have a bias, as the executive producer is the son of one of my college friends,and a friend in his own right, and he got his start in technical theater right here in our own little Alaskan theater. I urge you to check them out if you have the opportunity.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Quixotic - 10/24/18 04:30 PM
Here it is finally found it. So sorry I did not reply to this entry. Hope you got my PM.
How's the play going. It is my favorite musical, and have seen it at least a dozen times. Is your wife enjoying the directorial position?
Saw a picture the other day of Homer on a site called Big Geek Daddy, and meant to send it to you, but could not find your email adddress.
I've since found it too. Don't want to lose contact. Must be some senior moments.
Not Alzheirmers, but parttimers, halftimers, or sometimers.
Keep in touch.
© Wordsmith.org