Wordsmith.org
Recently, an American I spoke to said this.
Is the use of the prep. 'on' instead of 'in' common in informal speech in this case? Perhaps it's use is related to the ubiquitous on-line?

Posted By: Bean Re: 'I was outside all night standing on line' - 05/30/01 10:41 AM
We say "in line" here. I read about this somewhere, but I no longer remember where. I think it's a regional thing. That requires everyone to put their two cents in, so we can figure it out!

In Michigan, one stands in line, and always in line. If you want to be on line, log onto the net.

Wales, ditto. In reserve, in reply, in these circumstances... An exception: on station.

On line-- is on the net and it is also how one queues up. - In NYC (and it is a regionalism) we wait on line-- (and orders other--"Wait your turn-- get on (the) line!" we might be in line for a promotion or pay raise., or get about on in line skates.

I think it is found in other areas of North east-- but it is very strong in NYC. (and NYer's like the english, are pretty good about forming a line-- we don't bunch around-- but organize ourselves into lines-- and as for "cutting the line"-- sometimes we are okay with it-- other times you take your life in your hand! -- street smarts includes knowing when you can cut the line.)

and we set our tables--

In England we still "queue up", "join the queue" or tell others to "go to the end of the queue."

The phrase, "in line," is used increasingly and is understood by most people.

Agreed - NYC is a relatively isolated pocket of standing 'on' line. The Midwest and West, and the Atlantic coast are all right 'in' line. I have, however, heard in the Gateway City, 'jumping queue' (as opposed to 'cutting the/in line') once or twice, though I imagine it's more about the people with whom I associate than anything like genuine regional variation.

As Rhuby said it's queues in England. And some people unfortunately do jump them. You might say someone cut in on you, but I think that's more for traffic.

Bingley
> get about on in line skates.

Is that the 'let's see how many prepositions I can get in a row' method.[grin] While we're on these prep./noun to adjective conglomerates, what about 'on-street' and 'off-street'.
BTW, do any of you use online (or on-line) in the sense of 'in progess' or 'ongoing', e.g. an online project, debate etc. or is everyone pretty much sick of it by now?

what about 'on-street' and 'off-street'.
This made me muse on so much of what we say that makes no sense whatsoever. "My next door neighbor" - (but then this may just be regional) acutally it is "My next house neighbor"
Anyway, I can cut & paste on this board!!!

Posted By: Bean Re: 'I was outside all night standing on line' - 05/31/01 11:15 AM
I think next-door neighbour is pretty widespread. And they may still be the next door to yours, even if there is grass and fence in between!

I think next-door neighbour is pretty widespread. And they may still be the next door to yours, even if there is grass and fence in between!

I wonder if the term emanates from the terraced streets of industrial England, where the person who lived in the next house was, literally, at the next door, and where doors were in pairs all the way down the street?
In the early days, houses weren't numbered, so anyone looking for a person would have to ask where they lived. If they got hings* slightly wrong, they would be told, "Try the next door."

* EDIT - that typo should be recast as "Things", rather than "hingEs"
I always say in line, and I agree with those who have located the on line variant to NYC, but I've known Southern Jerseyites to say it as well. Anyone ever hear it in Philly?

Does this connect in any way with the ?depression era phrase on the breadline ?

Posted By: wow Re: 'I was outside all night standing on line' - 05/31/01 03:11 PM
'I was outside all night standing on line' Does this connect in any way with the ?depression era phrase on the breadline ?

"On the breadline" meant you were having hard times and in need ... implied a continuing, if temporary, state and since many were in the same position there was no criticism implied.
But, "on the dole" meant someone who was malingering, looking to others for continuing support ... not getting up off your duff and looking for work.
Mostly we say "in line" when, for example, waiting to buy movie tickets
"On line" has a connotation of camping out to be sure of getting tickets to an one-time event : a rock concert or the last game of the World Series. I'd thought "on line" was imported from UK ... where did I go wrong?

Never heard of on-street or off-street. People here were using on line (She's on line) to mean on the telephone long before using the internet became common.

Bingley
> Never heard of on-street or off-street.

Some might say (not me :-) 'there's an on-street market today'. Or 'on-street parking is forbidden'.

Posted By: Bean Re: 'I was outside all night standing on line' - 06/01/01 10:33 AM
Or 'on-street parking is forbidden'.

Yup, until belligerentyouth posted that, I couldn't think of on-street/off-street examples, but that's an important one in a place where it snows heavily in the winter!

And in big cities like Burlington, Vermont an important apartment amenity is "Off-street parking available" (meaning you don't have to pray for an open spot near your building).

In NYC (and it is a regionalism) we wait on line-- (and orders other-- "Wait your turn-- get on (the) line!

Interesting, of troy. I grew up 30 miles West of NYC in central New Jersey (Plainfield), was always in and about New York, and I also lived in New York for awhile along the way. And I honestly can say I have heard and used both variations all my life...never did ponder the whys and wherefores of it. Get on line!/get in line!...waiting in line/waiting on line...were always of interchangeable usage in my mind. But..."cut in line,""don't cut in line!" or "your cutting in line" was always in ! Never knew until this thread that these were any different elsewhere, or of regional nature!

Whether I am "in line" or "on line" I always make sure I have something to read....palms, labels, tea leaves, the inscripted T-shirt in front of me....

© Wordsmith.org