Wordsmith.org
Posted By: csperryess calipigate - 10/23/13 02:51 AM
Both my wife & I remember our parents using a word (one family from New York/Ohio & the other from California/Colorado). The word is calipigate -- used in one family to mean a syncopated rhythm & the other to label a syncopated gait. A friend challenged my wife's usage of the word the other day, which had caused us to search all our online & analog sources for it. Even the OED offers no trace of it, though we're thinking it may have been some oddly unrecorded word that originated in callipygian (having shapely buttocks).

Have any of you run into calipigate? Are we just nutcases who manufactured shared memories of a non-existent word?
Posted By: Faldage Re: calipigate - 10/23/13 11:13 AM
Google wants to know if I meant caliphate. I'd go with the nutcase scenario. Or either that or it's some totally other word or two that you two have managed to conflate into calipigate, one.

PS

Enjoy your stay at this nuthouse.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: calipigate - 10/23/13 12:17 PM
At first I thought it might have something to do with Calypso, the music, not the nymph from the Odyssey, but it seems not. No calypsigate or anything like it. Not a trace on Google which is nigh-unto-impossible with a single word search. I'd say some limb-stretching may be involved.
Posted By: csperryess Re: calipigate - 11/11/13 07:10 AM
Big thanks to zmjezhd & Faldage. My wife & I have always known we were a little nutty, but this is a bit off the bell curve. We both appreciate your replies.
© Wordsmith.org