Wordsmith.org
Posted By: zakerna Gordatius - 05/29/13 08:48 AM
Can anyone shed any light on this word?

Google yielded:

1. Liber Jobi - Volume 1 - Page 488 - Google Books Result
books.google.co.za/books?id=z68WAAAAQAAJ
Albert Schultens - 1737

Gordatius Vavaß. & Cedur c. ex Нс'огло fonte agnofeant , Et movißimus fu- per terra ßabit, de Ultimo Judicia agi tí mu! agnofeentes, & quidem per tdium Dei, ve- ...

2. Commentaria physica, sive expositio aliquot locorum Pentateuchi ... - Page 164 - Google Books Result
books.google.co.za/books?id=BH0PAAAAQAAJ
Jos De Mey - 1651

Gordatius tertequam Auguftus , de quo idem Suetonius refert, eura fi mane ei. "calceusperperam ас finifter pro dextro induceretur , ut dirum & ferale fXV. t íd ...

and a friend suggested a corruption of cordatus (Latin: wise or adverbial form: more wisely)

I am doing research about a man whose given names are either Nun Gordatius or Nowen Godratius. Google search of Godratius yield only books he authored - I supposed he knew how to spell his own name! Nevertheless the Godratius persists in other records, notably those of the Lutheran mission society with which he was aligned. His father was mission-educated, devout and a teacher - so if I can connect Gordatius to a Christian scholar or something, or Latin meaning, it might be convincing. I have no Latin, so I'm stuck.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Gordatius - 05/29/13 10:27 AM
Originally Posted By: zakerna
I supposed he knew how to spell his own name!

I wouldn't be so sure. When did he live? Shaksper didn't spell his own name the same twice in a row.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Gordatius - 05/29/13 01:40 PM
These ramblings and musings are based on the scanned text and not on the pretty poor automatic transcription of them.

I don't think (in the first book) that it's a name, because it's not in italics as the other names (of authors) nearby: e.g., Vavass. (is probably Francois Vavasseur, aka Vavassor) who also wrote a paraphrase of the book of Job. The second name is probably Philippe Codurc who also wrote about the book of Job.

I am not sure that the initial letter in the word is a "C" or a "G". It looks closer to a "C". (In the second book, it is a "C". Is it possible your ancestor's name is a Latinized version of the Dutch/Flemish name Gordat, Gordats?
Posted By: Faldage Re: Gordatius - 05/30/13 10:20 AM
I was wondering about that odd mixture of Latin/Cyrillic with the odd ess-zet thrown in for good measure. I never thought of OCR. Thanks, Nuncle.
Posted By: zakerna Re: Gordatius - 05/31/13 10:04 AM
He lived 1899(?)-1960. Thanks for the attempts, guys.
© Wordsmith.org