Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Olephredd teat - 02/28/13 03:04 PM
The word "teat" is usually pronounced "tit" as presented by Websters Collegiate Dictionary and others, but sometimes it is pronounced "teet" by intellectuals including, recently, Dr Charles Krauthammer on a national television network. Dr Krauthammer's use of the English language is usually masterful, so I doubt he made a simple mistake.

Is "teet" an acceptable alternative pronunciation? If so, where does it come from?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: teat - 02/28/13 03:26 PM
'teet' is the preferred pronunciation according to AHD4 (and the only pron. given by OED); tit is a slang form which reverts to Old English (tit generally given from G. zitze).
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: teat - 02/28/13 07:22 PM
Actually, the Old English word was tit, and it is related to German Zitze, not derived from it. The Middle English word tete is borrowed from the Old French tette which in turn is borrowed from a Germanic language, as are the Italian and some other Romance words, replacing Latin mamilla. (Note that in French, Latin, and Old English, the various words leaned more towards meaning 'nipple' more than 'breast'.
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: teat - 02/28/13 07:39 PM
In the UK. 'teet' is the generally accepted pronunciation of 'teat'.
Often used to refer to the rubber device on the top of a feeding bottle, rarely (never?) used to refer to a real nipple. - certainly never used to mean 'breast.'
Posted By: olly Re: teat - 02/28/13 07:51 PM
rarely (never?) used to refer to a real nipple.

cepting cows and the like
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: teat - 02/28/13 08:47 PM

Yes, the only time I've heard teat used in the States has been on dairy farms and the like. On the other hand, tit nowadays refers to the entire breast.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: teat - 02/28/13 10:35 PM
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd

Yes, the only time I've heard teat used in the States has been on dairy farms and the like. On the other hand, tit nowadays refers to the entire breast.

concur, here in the heartland.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: teat - 03/02/13 06:59 PM
tiht when tit, teet when teat.

tits are boobs, teats are on a cow (and the like).
© Wordsmith.org