Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Seanchaithe Cloud Atlas - 01/07/13 01:02 AM
Wondering if there is any interest in discussing some of the language from the book Cloud Atlas...
Posted By: maverick Re: Cloud Atlas - 01/07/13 01:46 AM
Hi Sean, welcome. It's been a while since I read it but this may be a good prompt to look again before spoiling the impression with the film... wink

Did you have some particular starting point that interests you in the language of the book?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Cloud Atlas - 01/07/13 05:08 PM
I'm on a looong waiting list to get this from the library - no doubt I'll eventually have an interest..
Posted By: maverick Re: Cloud Atlas - 01/07/13 05:30 PM
> eventually

mebbe July will come early this year - whenever it happens, be interested to hear your take.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Cloud Atlas - 01/08/13 05:39 PM
Quite a book, but I have yet to see the movie. It's on my list!

What's your take on the language, Sean?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Cloud Atlas - 01/08/13 09:50 PM
Wondering if there is any interest in discussing some of the language from the book Cloud Atlas...

I'm guessing you mean the language in the last nesting story in the post-apocalyptic Hawai`i. It reminded me of Ridley Walker by Russell Hoban. Reading it annoyed me at the time, but hearing it spoken by Hanks' character was pleasing to the ears.

[Corrected typo.]
Posted By: Faldage Re: Cloud Atlas - 01/08/13 11:50 PM
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
It reminded me of Ridley Walker by Russell Hobart. Reading it annoyed me at the time, but hearing it spoken by Hanks' character was pleasing to the ears.

How did you feel about the language in Ridley Walker, nuncle?
Posted By: Faldage Re: Cloud Atlas - 01/08/13 11:51 PM
And for any of y'all looking for Ridley Walker, it's Russell Hoban.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Cloud Atlas - 01/08/13 11:58 PM
How did you feel about the language in Ridley Walker

I liked it, but was younger at the time and less prone to annoyance. I also was into the whole it's better if it's more difficult to read and understand school of aesthetic enjoyment, too.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Cloud Atlas - 01/09/13 12:00 AM
Russell Hoban

Ah, yes: Hobart was a prof I had who chewed me out in class for using cite as a verbed noun in a paper I wrote. Even the OED couldn't help me with a citation from the 17th century. My formative moment with peevers.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Cloud Atlas - 01/09/13 02:27 PM
I never was sure if I liked the story in Ridley Walker or just liked the puzzle of working out the language. I understand that there is an edition out there with a vocabulary in the back. Take all the fun out of it. The only other Hoban book I could handle was The Mouse and His Child, which purports to be a children's book. It makes Watership Down look like Peter Rabbit.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Cloud Atlas - 01/16/13 09:59 PM
Originally Posted By: maverick
> eventually

mebbe July will come early this year - whenever it happens, be interested to hear your take.

I repeat: maverick, you inveterate scoundrel.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Cloud Atlas - 01/17/13 07:08 AM
Hey! I can attest that maverick has a backbone. Oh, wait--you said inveterate...
Posted By: maverick Re: Cloud Atlas - 01/17/13 06:55 PM
> scoundrel

guilcup as charged, m'lord wink
Posted By: maverick Re: Cloud Atlas - 01/18/13 02:54 AM
heh

Glad to see it's feeding the addiction smile
© Wordsmith.org