Wordsmith.org
Posted By: HalAl Word with the most progeny - 11/29/12 02:54 AM
After looking up the origin of "puppy" I learned that "pupa" and "puppet" are related to it. That led me to wonder what root word has spawned the most offspring?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Word with the most progeny - 11/29/12 04:09 AM
That led me to wonder what root word has spawned the most offspring?

Well, you probably mean which Proto-Indo-European root has the most reflexes in the Indo-European daughter languages. Tough question. I guess you could look at Pokorny's dictionary and try to count which entry is the longest. Kind of strange.

Oh, and welcome to the fun house!
Posted By: HalAl Re: Word with the most progeny - 11/29/12 05:45 PM
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
[

Oh, and welcome to the fun house!

That's a bit belated, since I've been on here since 2004, but thanks all the same. :-) I mostly just look on and try to learn from the rest of you.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Word with the most progeny - 11/29/12 05:59 PM
That's a bit belated, since I've been on here since 2004
Ah, I see. I've just never seen one of your posts, but then I joined later than you.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Word with the most progeny - 11/29/12 06:56 PM
"Best bet would probably be to ask American Heritage--they have their etymologies keyed to a list of IE roots, so if they don't know offhand they can probably generate the answer."
-Jesse Sheidlower (U.S. editor OED)
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Word with the most progeny - 11/29/12 07:45 PM
"Best bet would probably be to ask American Heritage--they have their etymologies keyed to a list of IE roots, so if they don't know offhand they can probably generate the answer."

That'd work if you wish to limit the offspring to English. (The A-H dictionary of roots has page reference to Pokorny's dictionary.)
Posted By: Avy Re: Word with the most progeny - 11/30/12 03:34 AM
Originally Posted By: HalAl

That's a bit belated, since I've been on here since 2004, but thanks all the same. :-) I mostly just look on and try to learn from the rest of you.

Wow that is impressive; only 19 posts since 2004. I have been here since 2000, but have yapped on a lot more than you. You win the watcher/reader/learner stakes.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Word with the most progeny - 12/01/12 05:54 AM
tsuwm--wow, it must be nice to have friends in high places! [bow]
© Wordsmith.org