Wordsmith.org
Posted By: of troy hair do? - 05/11/01 02:10 PM
We are having a second mini heat wave-- (extending all up the US east coast--) and today I braided my hair--
but what do you call braids? and what do the french call "a french braid" aka corn row?

and in the summer do guys get buzz cuts? (or do you all look like Fabio?!?!)

Posted By: wow Re: hair do? - 05/11/01 02:21 PM
what do the french call "a french braid" aka corn row?

Aren't "French braids" really fat braids that start near the scalp? Unless you have a LOT of hair it's hard to get French Braids,
whereas "corn rows" are very narrow braids using all the hair but in tiny amounts all over the head and the scalp shows through - which it does not with French braids.
Then there are Dredlocks, a la Whoopie Goldberg ... but that's a whole 'nother story!
wow

Posted By: of troy Re: hair do? - 05/11/01 02:36 PM
Both french braids and corn rows -- (and the stuff that they do to horses tails and manes) have a common process-- you start braiding some hair, and continue to add more hair-- so the braid is closely connected to the scalp.. It has a different name when you do it to horses.. and braids are some times called Plaits-- (and how is that pronounced?) any other terms?

Posted By: Bean Re: hair do? - 05/11/01 02:46 PM
I would concur with helen here. French braids, to me, have always meant the type of braid where you work in a little section of hair with each "cross-over" as you go along. Corn rows, I think, are very thin French braids, and a whole lot of them. As to what the French call them...anyone around to help us on that?

Posted By: rodward Re: hair do? - 05/11/01 02:59 PM
thin French braids, As to what the French call them

The general French term for a plait (more commonly used in UK than braid I think, pronounced plat) is "tresse", sometimes "nette". But they probably have lots more terms. What French Braids are called in particular, I would have to hazard a guess at "tresses anglaises" in line with all the other English/French swaps.

Rod

Posted By: inselpeter Re: hair do? - 05/11/01 04:00 PM
<<and braids are some times called Plaits-- (and how is that pronounced?)>>

"plates"

Posted By: wow Re: Braids - 05/11/01 04:11 PM
Plaits-- (and how is that pronounced?) "plates"

Sorry, IP ,luv, have to agree with rodwards answer :
plait (more commonly used in UK than braid I think, pronounced plat)
"Plat" is what I've used when showing off! However I use plait as the act, and as the single braid. And plaits for more than one braid.

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: hair do? - 05/11/01 04:29 PM
Summer hairdos for guys presumes you have lots of hair. While I escaped the fate of my grandfather, who was almost entirely bald on his wedding day in his early 20's, and my father who was likewise by 35, my hair has abeen almost entirely grey since late 30's and is now very thin and fine. I'm told by my wife and sons that there is now a large bald patch on the top rear of my head, and I do feel a lot of smooth skin there, but since I don't see it in the mirror, I don't believe it. But a summer do might reveal what I really don't want to see.

Posted By: wow Re: hair do? - 05/11/01 05:48 PM
there is now a large bald patch on the top rear of my head, ...But a summer ... reveal what I really don't want to see.

And so might a summer sunburn ... slap on the ol' sunscreen BobY!

Posted By: of troy Re: hair do? - 05/11/01 06:01 PM
BYB-- Its a well know fact that men who are bald in back are great thinkers--
and men who are bald in front are great lovers..

and men who are bald in both the front and back just think they are great lovers

is there a name for what i would call a standard (men's) hair cut? (Longer on top, parted at the sides.. closed trimmed around the ears and the nape of the neck?)

Posted By: J.P. Esquire Re: hair do? - 05/11/01 06:25 PM
I went with a buzz cut (a/k/a crew cut) one summer long ago and have no intentions of ever going that route again (actually, the buzz cut was foisted on me by my take-no-prisoners mother and a willing barber). Sure, I didn't have to worry about combing my hair in the morning, which sort of went hand-in-hand with my youthful aversion to taking showers/baths. Sure, I looked like a rough-and-ready military man, just like my dad (in those days, a boy would ape his father's every move in the spirit of hero worship). But the look just wasn't me. You see, even at that early age I was of the "full head of hair" persuasion. Not that my hair has ever been messy or out-of-control; I've always combed it and parted it just so. It's just that I've long felt more secure with a bunch of hair up there (there is something to be said for top-heaviness). Given this mindset, I probably would not react well to the onset of baldness, eh?

John

Posted By: jmh Re: hair do? - 05/12/01 07:30 AM
>is there a name for what i would call a standard (men's) hair cut? (Longer on top, parted at the sides.. closed trimmed around the ears and the nape of the neck?)

Short back and sides?

Posted By: jmh Re: Braids - 05/12/01 07:35 AM
>plait (more commonly used in UK than braid I think, pronounced plat)

Definitely "plat" where I come from, although my daughter seems to call them "pleats" which must be a variaton.

Posted By: wow Re: Braids - 05/12/01 02:54 PM
my daughter seems to call them "pleats" which must be a variaton.

A Mondegreen ! Clever daughter is having you on!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Plaits - 05/12/01 06:39 PM
Jo! You're back!

Down South we say "plats," too.

Posted By: Geoff Re: hair do? - 05/12/01 08:57 PM
Helen, when you're as bald as I am, it's called a hair DON'T

(or do you all look like Fabio?!?!)

Nah, Yul Brenner. And I'm sure you look exactly like Michelle Pfeiffer!

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: hair do? - 05/13/01 07:20 AM
Here, I usually hear it pronounced "plaats" - long, flat "a".

Posted By: ladymoon Re: to buzz or not to buzz? - 05/13/01 10:45 PM
My son is just the opposite. He is very in tune with what's cool (for his age group). He wanted his hair cut to 16th of an inch all last year. But he was born with hair past his shoulders, I just couldn't stand the thought of him with no hair. I kept telling him the day after the last day of school. Then we moved before the last day, so it took him until midsummer to realize that he'd missed. Promptly had his head shaved. It grew in and he had that long on the top, short on the sides all school year. He just got his summer cut last week. It's 1/2 inch.

Posted By: Bean Re: hair do? - 05/14/01 10:54 AM
and braids are some times called Plaits-- (and how is that pronounced?)

That is one of those words which I've read many times, but NEVER heard spoken. I guess it's not used in Canada.

Posted By: Gatsby Re: hair do? - 05/25/01 10:13 PM
That reminds me of so many times I have read words, and when later.... heard them spoken...they were so different from my mind's voice.
BTW.... How do you copy and paste on here? I haven't figured that out yet....Any help?

Posted By: nikeblack Re: hair do? - 05/26/01 05:51 PM
I often braid my hair and always have braids as a result. I never indulge in things I can't pronounce (or spell for that matter...)

The only pleating I've ever done was while sewing.

© Wordsmith.org