Wordsmith.org
Posted By: MissAriadne use of "exponential or exponentially" - 05/18/12 09:26 PM
Which is better?
"there is a downside to our exponentially printing of money," or
"there is a downside to our exponential printing of money." or
"there is a downside to our exponentially printing money." I'm confused.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: use of "exponential or exponentially" - 05/18/12 09:41 PM
the first option just sounds wrong to me; as to the other two, pick 'em depending on context.
Posted By: Faldage Re: use of "exponential or exponentially" - 05/19/12 10:38 AM
And it sounds wrong for a good reason. It is wrong. In the phrase printing of money, printing is a noun and the whole phrase is a noun phrase. It should take an adjective, not an adverb. In the third sentence printing money is a verb phrase and the verb, printing, takes an adverb.
The rate at which money is being printed could, I suppose, increase exponentially, but how does one print exponentially?
Posted By: Faldage Re: use of "exponential or exponentially" - 05/20/12 10:08 AM
Originally Posted By: Tromboniator
The rate at which money is being printed could, I suppose, increase exponentially, but how does one print exponentially?

By increasing the rate at which the printing is done exponentially.
So..., if I increase my rate of printing dramatically I'm printing dramatically?
Posted By: Faldage Re: use of "exponential or exponentially" - 05/20/12 11:35 PM
Naw. You don't need the magic of ellipsis if you're printing dramatically.
Ellipsis allows exponential printing with linear inking.
Jeese, I love you guys!!
Thanks; I thought it(option #1) was wrong, but couldn't exactly remember why. Been a while since I took "grammar calculus" in college.
© Wordsmith.org