Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie Attention: Candy - 01/28/12 03:56 PM
I just got an e-mail from an Aussie friend, who said he'll be renting his house at a "peppercorn rate". I think he meant cheaply, but where did this expression come from, do you know?
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: Attention: Candy - 01/28/12 09:34 PM
Yep - in the Middle Ages in Britain, pepper was actually quite an expensive spice. However, to pay just one pepper corn (from which pepper is ground) was still a lot less than most rents, so the lease or agreement drawn up between friends, with one making a gift to the other for whatever reason, but to make it a truly legal contract, the rent was one pepper corn per year. Other commodities were used, as well, for the same reason, to ake a contract legally binding.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Attention: Candy - 01/29/12 02:09 AM
Interesting; thanks.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Attention: Candy - 01/29/12 02:04 PM
Peppercorn price. We still have standing expressions such as 'for a peppered price' or 'as expensive as pepper', meaning really extra expensive.
(no mention of a single corn saying)
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: Attention: Candy - 01/29/12 02:10 PM
Makes sense, Bran - in the C17 and C18, the Dutch were the main importers of spices from their connections in the East Indies and other places in the Far East.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Attention: Candy - 01/29/12 02:34 PM
I'm sure many of the traders and common sailors slipped a few unaccounted for corns into their pockets. smile
Posted By: Jackie Re: Attention: Candy - 01/30/12 04:01 AM
Didn't their sneezing then give them away? wink
Posted By: HalAl Re: Attention: Candy - 01/30/12 11:17 AM
Originally Posted By: Jackie
Didn't their sneezing then give them away? wink

Until ground it's not likely a problem. Like an onion that's perfectly fine until you start to peel or slice it, then, WAAAAAAHHHHHH!
Posted By: Jackie Re: Attention: Candy - 01/31/12 02:27 AM
Oh man, what is the name of that chemical in onions? I was just trying to think of it the other day.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Attention: Candy - 01/31/12 07:17 PM
Sulphur. Compound of the whole Genus Allium. Antidiabolic, antivampiric, antianything that isn't good for your health.

Link
Posted By: Candy Re: Attention: Candy - 02/03/12 10:26 AM
Oh.....my own thread title, and I missed it. Strewth!

And Rhuby is correct with his meaning, of course. Aussies have adopted a lot of English sayings from colonial days, I guess.
© Wordsmith.org