Wordsmith.org
Posted By: 9hbeans Rhyming Words - 12/30/11 06:29 PM
Are rhyming words apt to have similar etymology? Seeing the recent AWAD "mickle" I thought abt pickle and tickle and it started me wondering whether words that rhyme have related origins. Any thoughts?

p.s. I'm new to the forum. I have rec'd the AWAD email for many years but I was not familiar with the forum, so I joined to ask my question. Wow! I could get lost with all the neat posts!

Thanks to all who take the time to respond!
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: Rhyming Words - 12/30/11 09:37 PM
Well, it seems that pickle comes from the Middle Dutch for brine, sickle comes from the Latin for cut, tickle comes from the Old English for…tickle! so I would say that it's difficult to find a common origin.

Welcome to the forum; don't be fickle!

Peter
Posted By: Jackie Re: Rhyming Words - 12/31/11 03:55 AM
Yeah, welcome--we won't bickle! wink
Posted By: Candy Re: Rhyming Words - 12/31/11 05:22 AM
tickled your fancy did it 9hbeans laugh

interestingly....the word rhyme is derived from Old Frankish language rīm, a Germanic term meaning "series, sequence"

I wonder how the spelling of it, happened with the 'hy'!
Posted By: Jackie Re: Rhyming Words - 01/02/12 03:27 AM
9hbeans, I have to ask; you don't have to answer, but: does your screen name stand for nine hills of beans?
Posted By: 9hbeans Re: Rhyming Words - 01/12/12 02:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Jackie
9hbeans, I have to ask; you don't have to answer, but: does your screen name stand for nine hills of beans?

Sorry for the delay Jackie. I am very new to this and didn't realize i had rec'd any response to my posting. I thought i would be notified by email.

As to your question whether my screen name refers to 9 hills of bean, the answer is no. It’s actually a slang reference to my extended family, which at the time numbered 9 human beings—thus 9 human beans!
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: Rhyming Words - 01/12/12 04:19 PM
laugh
Posted By: Faldage Re: Rhyming Words - 01/12/12 08:05 PM
Originally Posted By: 9hbeans
It’s actually a slang reference to my extended family, which at the time numbered 9 human beings—thus 9 human beans!

Human beans was standard usage in the old Pogo comic strip. Are you a Pogophile?
Posted By: Jackie Re: Rhyming Words - 01/13/12 02:48 AM
9 human beans! Ha, that's great! Thank you for satisfying my curiosity!

No, ya hafta come here ta see if ya got any replies to posts. But you can opt to be notified by e-mail if you get a Private Message (PM).
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Rhyming Words - 01/13/12 04:00 AM
Originally Posted By: Jackie

No, ya hafta come here ta see if ya got any replies to posts. But you can opt to be notified by e-mail if you get a Private Message (PM).

Most forums provide this option; I've never tried this, but..

Subscribing to a Forum
Enter the Forum and Select "Add Forum to Watched Forums" from the "Forum Options" dropdown.

Subscribing to a Topic
Enter the Topic and Select "Add Topic to your Watched Topics" option from the "Topic Options" dropdown.

Managing Watch Lists
Select "My Watch Lists" from the "My Stuff" dropdown, from here you can select the type of List that you wish to edit and by clicking the "Edit Watched Topics" (or "Edit Watched Forums" or "Edit Watched Users") link you can remove them or toggle the "Email Notification" option.

Toggling EMailed Watch Lists
See the above "Managing Watch Lists" directions.

Toggling the Default "EMail Watchedlist" Options
Select "My Preferences" from the "My Stuff" dropdown. From here you can manage the "By default should anything added to your Watch Lists be emailed to you?" option.

that sounds awfully convoluted, but maybe it's not so in practice..
Posted By: 9hbeans Re: Rhyming Words - 01/13/12 08:50 PM
To Faldage: No, not a Pogophile, although i do remember reading them as a kid, so maybe i was influenced subconciously. Actually i was much more a snoopyphile as i loved all the Peanuts characters, especially Snoopy!
Posted By: 9hbeans Re: Rhyming Words - 01/13/12 08:57 PM
To Tsuwm: Thanks for all the info. You're right tho' as it does sound fairly complicated just reading through it! I'm still trying to figure out all the new lingo!

By the way, what does "spider" mean? Under "Who's Online" in the right hand column I know what 'registered' and 'guests' refers to, but the term 'spiders' has me stumped!
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Rhyming Words - 01/13/12 09:10 PM
9hb,
it's actually a pretty easy two-step process; paring it down from the above gamage of verbiage:

1) Subscribing to a Topic
Enter the Topic and Select "Add Topic to your Watched Topics" option from the "Topic Options" dropdown. [this option can be found at the top of any thread]
2) Toggling the Default "EMail Watchedlist" Options
Select "My Preferences" from the "My Stuff" dropdown. From here you can manage the "By default should anything added to your Watch Lists be emailed to you?" option.
Posted By: hogmaster Re: Rhyming Words - 01/13/12 09:14 PM
Let's just see if that really works..
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Rhyming Words - 01/13/12 09:17 PM
yep, received the following email:

Hi tsuwm,

hogmaster made a new post at Wordsmith Talk

You can view the post by clicking this link. The post contents are shown below:

hogmaster: Re: Rhyming Words
Let's just see if that really works..

cool

edit: of course, a really hot topic could ravage your mailbox!
Posted By: Candy Re: Rhyming Words - 01/14/12 01:47 AM
Originally Posted By: 9hbeans
To Tsuwm: Thanks for all the info. You're right tho' as it does sound fairly complicated just reading through it! ...

Its not really that bad 9beans....just look at the top of each page for drop down box TOPIC OPTION and make your choice laugh

But TS is right about plethora of emails....you can always change your mind and stop option anytime.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Rhyming Words - 01/14/12 02:35 AM
So...the purpose of having Watched Topics is to get an e-mail that they've been added to?
Posted By: Candy Re: Rhyming Words - 01/14/12 02:42 AM
Yes.

I get hogwash and anagram ones and any thread I start....just to keep up.
© Wordsmith.org