Wordsmith.org
Posted By: McMena Aby! - 12/30/11 09:58 AM
I love this word. I want to use it all the time and feel like Shakespearian royalty, although that could make me pretty annoying to be around.
What I'm wondering...is this the root of "abide"?

Whosoever hath the answer shalt present it to me. Ye shall aby the decree! Actually, another question - how far does this verb stretch in that direction? In the AWAD example "it" qualifies "aby" which is true to the AWAD definition. However, when searching (not very well) for the "abide" connection online, I came across an example in which "aby" seemed directly substituted for "abide", in the same way I used it above.

While we're at it: "shall" vs. "shalt" usage? Anyone? I thought I would remember this stuff forever. My literature professors would not be pleased. I hope they're not on here.

Thank you word-aholics!
Posted By: Faldage Re: Aby! - 12/30/11 12:41 PM
OED has the earliest citation for aby from 1175. The 'buy, purchase, pay for' sense is last cited in 1503 and the 'pay the penalty' sense in 1876, but this is only eight years before that section of the OED I am quoting from was put to bed. There doesn't seem to be any connection with abide which is from bidan, 'to stay'. Shalt is 2nd person singular; shall is used in all other persons and numbers. The only correct linking of shalt with a pronoun is thou shalt. We don't use this much anymore since the singular thou has pretty much been muscled out by the plural you. You might remember this if anyone ever gets on your case for using singular they.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Aby! - 12/30/11 06:13 PM
much has changed since the original NED/OED entry. the online OED no longer has a headword for aby, instead subsuming it under abye.
nor is the fifth sense (to abide) marked obs. now, as they've scrounged up some 'contemporary' citations (even one with the olde spelling); to wit..

b. trans. = abide v. III.
1884 J. Payne Tales from Arabic III. 89 My secret is disclosed, the which I strove to hide; Of thee and of thy love enough have I abyed.
1893 R. L. Stevenson Catriona xi. 123, I never could abye the reek of them since I could stotter on two feet.
1927 H. Waddell Wandering Scholars iv. 90 For seven days he painfully Endured a grassy diet, The eighth, his famine drove him home, He can no more abye it.

c. trans. = abide v. I.
1908 J. Payne Carol & Cadence 290 Would I might see it, I! Would Heaven I might its coming but aby.

Third edition, October 2011; online version December 2011[!!]
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Aby! - 12/30/11 06:24 PM
regarding that somewhat cryptic version info, I assume they have a baseline data base which was updated for 'abye' in Oct. 2011 and then actually published online this month.

from the History of the OED page:
"The remedial work of revising original 19th and early 20th century editorial material is in progress, and the results of the revision programme and additions of new words will be published online every three months."
Posted By: Candy Re: Aby! - 12/31/11 05:29 AM
re Aby....I'll have to look up how its pronounced, later!
Posted By: McMena Re: Aby! - 01/02/12 06:10 PM
Thanks everyone! This is the first time I actually got off my butt (metaphorically of course, as I am using my laptop) and got on here, though this is definitely not the first time AWAD has inspired questions in me. I expect to check in often in the future and see what everyone is talking about.
Posted By: Candy Re: Aby! - 01/03/12 01:52 AM
Good for you McMena...thats what I like, more discusion here...welcome aboard grin
Posted By: Jackie Re: Aby! - 01/04/12 03:05 AM
I expect to check in often in the future and see what everyone is talking about.
Good!
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: Aby! - 01/06/12 11:41 AM
It's always good to have new voices amongst us. Welcome.
© Wordsmith.org