Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Aayla Jones Przewalski - 11/25/11 03:20 PM
For those of you who love wierd and/or hard to spell words, przewalski is a breed of horse and also a russian explorer.
tchotchke means a trinket or bauble/knicknack
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Przewalski - 11/25/11 04:31 PM
smile
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: Przewalski - 11/25/11 04:46 PM
Hi, Aayla and welcome.

What language are these names from, please? I'm sure they are Slavic and my guess would be Polish.
"Tchotchke" looks a bit like Russian but trinket in Russian is something like "balabolka" and "przewalski" has a 'w' in it, which is also not a letter/sound used in Russian - their nearest is "B", pronounced "V".
Posted By: bexter Re: Przewalski - 11/25/11 04:59 PM
Well the horses originate from Mongolia I believe, I'll find you a link to their website... przewalski horse foundation
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Przewalski - 11/25/11 05:10 PM
The great Horsepeople of the Steppes, descendants of the
Khans.
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: Przewalski - 11/25/11 05:35 PM
Fascinating link, bexter - thanks.

Although I'm not convinced that przewalski is Mongolian - the site gives an alternative as "Takh", which does sound more Asiatic, perhaps? I've never studied any of the asiatic languages, so I'm totally ignorant of them.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Przewalski - 11/25/11 07:13 PM
Przewalski is the Polish spelling of the name Przhevalski. The horses were named after a Colonel Nikolai Przhevalski. Why the Polish spelling I wouldn't know but why the Russian colonel is explained in the Wikipedia article. Tchotchke is from the Yiddish. See again Wikipedia form more info on tchotchkes.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Przewalski - 11/26/11 09:00 PM
Originally Posted By: bexter
Well the horses originate from Mongolia I believe, I'll find you a link to their website... przewalski horse foundation
Nice information to me. It was my favorite in the zoo when I was a child . Just because of the word prrrzzwalski and it sure was a nice, sturdy little horse too.
Posted By: Candy Re: Przewalski - 12/31/11 05:03 AM
Here's my own photo of them, taken at Taronga Western Plains Zoo (Dubbo NSW) while on holiday.

The zoo has a breeding program and a 16 yr history of reintroducing this breed back to Mongolia. The first lot of horses died from the cold but reports now say their population is growing by 7%, so thats good news.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Przewalski - 01/02/12 10:30 PM
Yes I missed this one. Lovely pics, Candy! Love their compact smooth form. Thanks for these. I'll keep them in my collection.
Posted By: Candy Re: Przewalski - 01/03/12 12:37 AM
laugh
© Wordsmith.org