Wordsmith.org
Posted By: thomasin carter - 11/10/11 02:39 AM
Wondering what this means, from [/u]Caleb's Crossing[u] by Geraldine Brooks:

"I could see nothing beyond the narrow circle of the carter's lamp."

Is it just a guy who drives a cart? and is this the origin of the name Carter today?

Thanks for any contributions.
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: carter - 11/10/11 02:57 AM
Yes, and yes. It's that simple.
Posted By: Jackie Re: carter - 11/10/11 04:16 AM
Welcome aBoard, Thomasin (OH that name makes me think of David Ogden Stiers: why? Episode of M*A*S*H? But which one??)

Anyway: [/mindless ramble] you put your end-underline slash at the beginning, love. The plain u goes inside the first set of brackets, and the /u goes in the second set. Just so you know for next time, which I hope there will be. smile
Posted By: Faldage Re: carter - 11/10/11 12:41 PM
Originally Posted By: thomasin
Wondering what this means, from [/u]Caleb's Crossing[u] by Geraldine Brooks:

"I could see nothing beyond the narrow circle of the carter's lamp."

Is it just a guy who drives a cart? and is this the origin of the name Carter today?

Thanks for any contributions.

Looks like what thomasin did was click on the underline button up above the post area, enter the text, and click on the underline button again. What you have to do, thomasin, is enter the text you want to underline, click and drag across it to highlight it, and then click on the underline button once. Or you can click on the underline button, click in between the start and stop tags, and enter the text you want underlined within the tags.

Let me try that and see:

[/u]Underlined text[u]

Yup, that looks like it.
Posted By: Jackie Re: carter - 11/11/11 01:29 AM
Nemmind my ramble. He was saying Timesin (sp?). I can see and hear him in my mind. But I still cannot remember the context! Argh!
Posted By: Candy Re: carter - 11/11/11 10:44 AM
Don't you just hate that ...Jackie!
Posted By: BranShea Re: carter - 11/11/11 09:21 PM
Oh, great discovery! It was a pop up blocker that disabled the functioning of this drop down pixy party menu. I disabled the disabler and now I can do the whole eek blush cool laugh mad dumb pandora box again!!!
And use COLOR !!! What joy!
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: carter - 11/11/11 09:41 PM
By the way, Branny, did you check for a pop-up blocker? That might cause the problem! blush Sheesh. I can't believe I didn't think of that.

Congratulations!
Posted By: Jackie Re: carter - 11/12/11 02:15 AM
Look out, y'all: she's gonna go wild, now! wink
Posted By: BranShea Re: carter - 11/12/11 06:50 AM
Wild? No. Just quietly pleased I found out. See? No smiley at all.
Posted By: Jackie Re: carter - 11/12/11 11:49 PM
Dang--what a disappointment! wink
© Wordsmith.org