Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Boncos Royal we? - 11/03/11 12:00 PM
What is the origin of "Give us a kiss?" it seems to be a nosism but what lies behind it?
Posted By: Jackie Re: Royal we? - 11/04/11 01:25 AM
Welcome, boncos; but oh dear oh dear I am having a terrible time, trying not to put an r in your name! I had to look up nosism:
A.Word.A.Day--nosism

This week's theme: There is a word for it.

nosism (NO-siz-em) noun

The use of 'we' in referring to oneself.

[From Latin nos (we).]

As it's often used by editors, it's also known as the "editorial we". It's also called "the royal we" owing to its frequent use by royalty. Mark Twain once said, "Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'."

-Anu Garg (words at wordsmith.org)

It made me smile because it sounds like it refers to people who stereotypically have their nose in the air!

Can't help you on the origin, I fear; but I've only read it in British novels. You might try going to I&A (Information and Announcements) and open either of the Useful language links threads. There's an amazing list of resources there (thanks yet again, MaxQ).
Posted By: olly Re: Royal we? - 11/04/11 03:47 AM
Sometimes shortened to 'Giz a kiss' or 'giz a look' Predominantly british I would submit.
Posted By: Candy Re: Royal we? - 11/04/11 12:16 PM
Thanks for the lesson Jackie smile

And giz a kiss....sounds like something my Grandmother always said!
Posted By: bexter Re: Royal we? - 11/04/11 03:37 PM
As I hear it, it is more like "gi-uz a kiss" wink the last few times I've heard it have been in that desperate way when they have done something wrong in order to ty and fix it
© Wordsmith.org