Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie Scots ng - 09/16/11 02:04 AM
No, I didn't omit the i. I picked up the Scots Dictionary that Jo gave me, thinking I might find an interesting word for Miscellany, but stopped at the pronunciation guide and got jolted to a halt. It says:
ng in Scots, eg hunger, ingle, ingan, is almost always pronounced as in English sing, not as in English single . For the life of me, I cannot hear any difference between the two ng's. What is it that I'm not knowing? As far as I'm concerned, the first four letters of both are pronounced exactly the same way; it's just that a hard g gets added to form the second syllable of single.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Scots ng - 09/16/11 02:46 AM
Yup!
Posted By: goofy Re: Scots ng - 09/16/11 03:22 AM
Originally Posted By: Jackie
it's just that a hard g gets added to form the second syllable of single.

That is the difference. Compare singer and finger.
Posted By: Candy Re: Scots ng - 09/16/11 06:26 AM
It sounds to me like I add an extra 'g' when saying
sing~gle and fing~ger.
But not when saying sing er!

Is that the hard G working?
Posted By: Faldage Re: Scots ng - 09/16/11 08:27 AM
And note that the common dialect feature, made famous by, but certainly not exclusive to, Sarah Palin, known as G dropping is not actually dropping a G but changing the NG sound (IPA ŋ) as in sing to an N sound. The G is dropped in written representations of this feature, e.g., "I'm lookin' at you," vs. "I'm looking at you."
Posted By: olly Re: Scots ng - 09/21/11 02:18 AM
Nga is the third letter in the Cook Island alphabet.
Try saying it like: singah
Posted By: Jackie Re: Scots ng - 09/22/11 02:48 AM
Got it, I think. But I've been told, by somebody who ought to know, that the Vietnamese Nguyen is pronounced win. [shrug] Quite a difference.
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: Scots ng - 09/22/11 04:09 AM
Interesting. I learned Nguyen as in downwind.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Scots ng - 09/22/11 11:35 AM
And I learned it as /ŋwɛn/ as in sing when. This can be hard for many Anglophones since we don't have the ng /ŋ/ phoneme in a word initial context.
Posted By: Candy Re: Scots ng - 09/22/11 11:59 AM
Some Australian telephone message systems have introduced 'voice recognition computer software' this adds a different dimension to messages I receive when the spoken word is misinterpreted...sometimes I have no idea what the message was about!

I am thinking accents must make it difficult to understand some words.
© Wordsmith.org