Wordsmith.org
Posted By: woody246 spoken vs. reading vocabulary - 05/31/11 11:58 AM
A few years ago I read in a book about the English language that there is a word for the difference between our reading vocabulary and our speaking vocabulary….I think it said that we know three times as many words than we actually use. Of course, I cannot remember the word. Does anyone out there know it???

Thanks! Woody246
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: spoken vs. reading vocabulary - 05/31/11 03:51 PM

WELCOME WOODY
Posted By: Faldage Re: spoken vs. reading vocabulary - 05/31/11 10:44 PM
I'd go with active and passive vocabulary. Active is the words you would come up with either for speaking or writing. Passive is the words that you'd recognize either by reading or hearing but wouldn't come up with spontaneously.
Posted By: Candy Re: spoken vs. reading vocabulary - 06/02/11 12:03 PM
I agree Faldage, I remember reading that somewhere.
Posted By: Owlbow Re: spoken vs. reading vocabulary - 06/02/11 02:01 PM
Quote:
But Candy, do you use those words in conversation? wink

Does this help Mr. (Ms?) 246? Teaching and Developing Vocabulary
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: spoken vs. reading vocabulary - 06/02/11 03:25 PM
Very interesting site, Owl.
Posted By: Faldage Re: spoken vs. reading vocabulary - 06/03/11 10:50 AM
If you mean the words (phrases) active vocabulary and passive vocabulary, yes, I do use them in conversation. But them I'm not Candy, so who am I to say?
Posted By: Candy Re: spoken vs. reading vocabulary - 06/03/11 11:25 AM
You speak for me too Faldage wink

why are 'they' doubting us?
Posted By: va-vavoom Re: spoken vs. reading vocabulary - 06/22/11 04:06 PM
I read constantly. One of the many 'problems' in my life is the words that I read and understand, but never hear in a conversation. Even words that are often found written, just don't come up. I have always had a dictionary handy, but even then, sometimes the pronunciation that I have in my head when I am reading is not at all correct. It may be the difference between long or short vowel or it my be where the accent is placed.
It sounds perfectly alright to me as I am reading, but is nothing like the real word. It can be very embarrassing.
Posted By: Zed Re: spoken vs. reading vocabulary - 06/26/11 08:59 AM
That happened all the time to me, especially as a kid. e.g. the name Penelope, which obviously rhymed with antelope.
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: spoken vs. reading vocabulary - 06/26/11 10:27 AM
Originally Posted By: va-vavoom
I have always had a dictionary handy, but even then, sometimes the pronunciation that I have in my head when I am reading is not at all correct.

Reminds me of my experience with Rex Stout's Nero wolf books. I read most of them many times, and formed a very clear mental picture of Wolfe's house in my early teens which I clung to for decades. Finally I read someone else's description and realized that my layout was a mirror image of Stout's. I think that once we decide how something ought to be it's very hard to see it differently, however much we read the true state of things.
Posted By: Faldage Re: spoken vs. reading vocabulary - 06/26/11 11:52 AM
Originally Posted By: Tromboniator
Originally Posted By: va-vavoom
I have always had a dictionary handy, but even then, sometimes the pronunciation that I have in my head when I am reading is not at all correct.

Reminds me of my experience with Rex Stout's Nero wolf books. I read most of them many times, and formed a very clear mental picture of Wolfe's house in my early teens which I clung to for decades. Finally I read someone else's description and realized that my layout was a mirror image of Stout's. I think that once we decide how something ought to be it's very hard to see it differently, however much we read the true state of things.

Was the someone else Rex Stout? If not, yours may be just as valid as theirs.
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: spoken vs. reading vocabulary - 06/26/11 09:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Faldage

Was the someone else Rex Stout? If not, yours may be just as valid as theirs.

It was not, but caused me to take another look at Stout, which verified that I was in error. I've not been as comfortable in Wolfe's house since. As a child I often switched left and right, particularly in instances where it wasn't all that important, or perhaps read either of them as "to one side" and simply picked one.
Posted By: va-vavoom Re: spoken vs. reading vocabulary - 07/08/11 01:42 AM
I must have been about nine when I was having a conversation with my older brother and used the word mausoleum. Except that I said it so it rhymed with linoleum...maw-zo'-lee-um. He was in hysterics.
I have a few other childhood remainders that I still have to really think about before I say them aloud. I think it comes from reading way too much and far beyond my age level.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: spoken vs. reading vocabulary - 07/08/11 04:08 PM
I said spaghetti as "spesgeti".
Linoleum, was lino-leem
Aluminum, amuneelium
Unless was unelse.

So don't feel bad.
Posted By: Zed Re: spoken vs. reading vocabulary - 07/09/11 04:37 AM
I have a feeling all young readers do this.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: spoken vs. reading vocabulary - 07/09/11 05:21 AM
Certainly the kids I've taught have had some odd ones. So right
you are there.
Posted By: gopi Re: spoken vs. reading vocabulary - 01/24/13 01:46 PM
i need to memorize new words.please anybody help me.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: spoken vs. reading vocabulary - 01/24/13 04:54 PM
Subscribing to this site is a good first start.
Posted By: Tony M. Re: spoken vs. reading vocabulary - 01/24/13 06:20 PM
In the UK we find your pronounciation spot on!
Posted By: Jackie Re: spoken vs. reading vocabulary - 01/25/13 03:39 AM
What kind of words, gopi?
Posted By: olly Re: spoken vs. reading vocabulary - 01/28/13 11:05 PM
Hi Tony,
Try saying Mausoleum with the same stresses as you would Linoleum. Ends up kinda like More-zohlium
Posted By: Delvillar_91 Re: spoken vs. reading vocabulary - 12/29/18 08:22 AM
Spoken vocabulary and tenses classes are actually needed by my sister also. Heard a lot about presentable set up of ielts coaching in chandigarh with daily schedules of step wise step grammar sessions. Thinking to talk with them once to help my sibling in developing confidence to speak in English fluently.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: spoken vs. reading vocabulary - 12/29/18 05:09 PM
Welcome and Lots of luck
© Wordsmith.org